Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:55 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times

Advertisements

I know that many vegetarians/vegans will not eat meat analogs (e.g. "fake meat") products, and I'm curious as to why that is. Personally, I enjoy them and willingly admit that using them makes it a lot easier for me to be a long-term vegetarian.

Any thoughts or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
I have ate them from time to time. I really don't consider them a meat substitute rather a different form of food. However, they are highly processed and most do not use organic soy. So, I tend to eat them in moderation. I aim for most of my diet to consist of whole foods with a few processed foods here and there for variety.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,496 times
For me, it is the sodium content. Many of these products are high in sodium just like other processed foods such as soups. It is an oxymoron of sorts. Most people eat four to five times more sodium each day than recommended. One vegi item I like and you can buy it bulk or prepackaged is TVP (Textured Vegi Protein). Once hydrated use it in place of ground beef - like when you want a taco. Sometimes I just want that hamburger feeling while eating chili or speghetti.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Ahhhh -- good reasons, both, and ones I hadn't considered. Does anyone have any, for lack of a better word, "moral" reasons for not eating meat analogs? Some people can get extremely testy about them, and I'm just curious as to why that is ... ???

Old 03-08-2009, 03:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
A vegan eating fake meat is like a pacifist playing violent video games.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM

179 posts, read 480,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Yeah, both is equally fine with me.

The main reason why I only rarely eat "fake meats" is that it's basically junk food. Its' expensive, highly processed, artifically flavored, often high in sodium, fat yadda yadda yadda.
Another reason why I don't really like all this talk about meat substitutes is that it always focusses on the lack of meat, defining vegetarianism as a diet of deficit, deprivation, scarcity. Even vegetarians often do that by insisting that this or that substitute tastes totally like meat. In reality it never does and it doesn't have to.
To me vegetarianism is not only about a lack of meat, it's also a distinct style of cuisine that focusses on all the great things there are besides meat. And that's not only veggies. I.e. Indian cusine focusess mainly on seasoning, mixing spices, perfectioning aromas... and it's not that much different if you try to make a good marinara from scratch.
it's just great what you can explore once you overcome that boring old meat discussion.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I guess I'm a weirdo, because when I gave up meat, I never really missed it.

I do use the faux-meat patties now from time to time in social situations. My SO makes a great TVP chili.

But other, than that, we are faux-meat free.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
What's wrong with that?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Another reason why I don't really like all this talk about meat substitutes is that it always focusses on the lack of meat, defining vegetarianism as a diet of deficit, deprivation, scarcity. Even vegetarians often do that by insisting that this or that substitute tastes totally like meat. In reality it never does and it doesn't have to.
To me vegetarianism is not only about a lack of meat, it's also a distinct style of cuisine that focusses on all the great things there are besides meat. And that's not only veggies. I.e. Indian cusine focusess mainly on seasoning, mixing spices, perfectioning aromas... and it's not that much different if you try to make a good marinara from scratch.
it's just great what you can explore once you overcome that boring old meat discussion.
Great insights and explanation -- thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I don't eat most of them because they tend to be squishy, tasteless and overpriced on top of that. I saw where one poster on a different forum was warned not to eat them by a friend because they resemble meat too much, whatever THAT means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food