Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

269 posts, read 1,269,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Another reason why I don't really like all this talk about meat substitutes is that it always focusses on the lack of meat, defining vegetarianism as a diet of deficit, deprivation, scarcity. Even vegetarians often do that by insisting that this or that substitute tastes totally like meat. In reality it never does and it doesn't have to.
To me vegetarianism is not only about a lack of meat, it's also a distinct style of cuisine that focusses on all the great things there are besides meat. And that's not only veggies. I.e. Indian cusine focusess mainly on seasoning, mixing spices, perfectioning aromas... and it's not that much different if you try to make a good marinara from scratch.
it's just great what you can explore once you overcome that boring old meat discussion.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,856,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy
A vegan eating fake meat is like a pacifist playing violent video games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
What's wrong with that?

Why would you assume there was something "wrong" with it?

The statement is an analogy, not a judgement.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,044,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why would you assume there was something "wrong" with it?

The statement is an analogy, not a judgement.
I don't get it then.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM

947 posts, read 3,413,299 times
I agree that these types of foods, to be:

over priced
high in sodium
to processed and really not that healthy

But I do like them occasionally.

However I do find it odd that "we" call it "fake meat". It is not meat at all. Is it made to "look" like meat and taste like meat!? I guess so to appeal to the meat eaters, So that part does bother me, But I do like the taste of it once in a while.

When I am a Full vegan and even now, it is not that I would not ever eat it because of the way it is advertised, but I do recognize that some would not eat because of the oxymoron it implies... cuz the packages still say "chick" patties or fake "steak" strips...
so I get it, cuz some people have asked me in the past, if you don't like meat then why do you eat fake meat...

well, it is fake and I am still not eating an animal but then they go now, why don't you just eat meat then...!!!??? Ugh!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,856,448 times
I find this whole subject a non-issue. I eat all of that stuff, and although I realize that being a processed food it is of a lower nutritional value and contains many health negative ingredients, it has nothing to do with meat.

I have been a vegetarian for almost a half a century and I don't even remember what meat tastes like and I have no craving or desire for it.

But I love Trader Joe's meatless "meat balls" in my spaghetti sauce, and I make a killer chilli with Yves "ground meat". MorningStar "bacon" strips makes a great BLT, and their "chicken nuggets" go great with a little BBQ sauce, and don't forget Boca. They have several kinds of sausage that can be used in all kinds of recipes and of course their famous "Boca Burgers". Tofurkey makes several kinds of sausage and sliced "meat".

We eat most all of this stuff, but we never think of it as a meat substitute. It's just as another soy based food.

Tofu is not the only way to eat soy beans.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:41 AM

288 posts, read 919,401 times
I don't call it fake meat because nothing about it is fake. I also don't refer to it as a substitute. Do people eat apple substitutes? No...they either eat the apple or eat the peach. I prefer to use the terms "wheat meat" or "soy meat", so on. After all, we do not call "coconut meat" fake or say it's a substitute.

Reading that again, it sounds silly. Sounds much better in my head.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,914,523 times
I don't consider them meat substitutes or fake meat either, just a form of protein. Yes they are squishy and tasteless but hello....so is tofu until you season it! For one example, I buy Boca or Morningstar crumbles and mix with pasta sauce, or add to pizza. Protein is very important if you are a veg and this is an easy, low calorie way to add extra protein, especially important if you are athletic like my family!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,845,369 times
Some of them have a texture or appearance that completely grosses me out, while others are fine.

I don't like the ones where the manufacturers try so hard to imitate meat, they trigger the same "ick" factor for me that meat does.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
My ex didn't eat meat b/c she didn't like the taste. So no fake meats for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food