Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,801,375 times

Advertisements

Does Veganaise taste similiar to Hellmans mayo.? Or real mayo? I don't use a lot of it but it's the only one I like.

As far as fake meats, the only one I found I like is Boca products. Morning star taste terrible to me for some reason and all the fake turkey lunch meat is bad. I also can't find any fake chicken I like because of the texture. Boca crumble I use for a lot of recipes and the different flavors of Boca Burgers I get creative with. Amy's frozen meals are good but expensive and a lot of them seem very fattening. I haven't had meat in 15 years and end up eating a lot of pasta and veggies because I can't find too many "fake meat" products that even taste edible to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,705,470 times
vegenaise is about as close as vegan mayo gets to hellman's. it's not exact, but it's good. i haven't had any other vegan mayos that weren't gross (at best they taste like miracle whip, which i don't like).

you don't need fake meats - you can eat beans, quinoa, tofu, tempeh, seitan, homemade veggie burgers.... there are lots of proteins to choose from, and you don't really need that much protein to begin with.

it's not like processed foods that are shaped like meat products are an essential part of one's diet. i like a lot of them (have you ever tried riblets?), but i consider them junk food, not a staple. a lot of vegans i know had to learn to cook because they went vegan, and are much happier for it! i'd suggest checking out some cookbooks for ideas.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,801,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
vegenaise is about as close as vegan mayo gets to hellman's. it's not exact, but it's good. i haven't had any other vegan mayos that weren't gross (at best they taste like miracle whip, which i don't like).

you don't need fake meats - you can eat beans, quinoa, tofu, tempeh, seitan, homemade veggie burgers.... there are lots of proteins to choose from, and you don't really need that much protein to begin with.

it's not like processed foods that are shaped like meat products are an essential part of one's diet. i like a lot of them (have you ever tried riblets?), but i consider them junk food, not a staple. a lot of vegans i know had to learn to cook because they went vegan, and are much happier for it! i'd suggest checking out some cookbooks for ideas.
Yes, I have tried and do eat some of the things you mentioned. I haven't had meat in so long, I've tried just about everything else. I was a manager for Whole Foods so I probably tried most things that are out there. I just don't like them. I don't like riblets but that's ok I didn't like the meat version either so I'm not missing anything. I get enough protein from other things I eat but it's a matter of variety for me. I would really like to find a fake chicken patty of some sort that's not horrible and have a sandwich with it and maybe some vegenaise. I have several veg. cook books but I don't like a lot of the ingredients. I also don't like Miracle Whip so good to know, thanks.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 AM

have you tried courage burgers? they are sort of chickenish, made from soy.

and it's getting harder to find, but i really like veat fake chicken.

i guess if you're a picky eater it can be tough to restrict your diet further.

have you tried quinoa? it's a protein-rich grain, sort of similar to couscous. you could have it in a salad (tabouleh or something like that) or as a hot side dish. oh and packaged seitan is pretty bad but there are a couple of different ways you can make it at home that are *much* better. i posted one recipe in the meat substitutes thread a couple of weeks back. i'll try to dig up a boiled seitan "steak" recipe today.

one cookbook i'd strongly recommend is veganomicon by isa moskowitz and terry romero. also vegan planet has the virtue of being *gigantic*, so there's probably something you'd like to eat in there!

what are some of the things you come across in recipes that you don't like?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 35,921 times
I just made some Fantastic Foods Chc Cha Vegan Black Bean Chili- and it's delicious! If you love chili, but haven't been able to find a good vegetarian or vegan one, you might like this one.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,137,333 times
Amy's California Burgers

These are vegan and do not contain soy. And, they are yummy! I found them at my local, main-stream grocery store.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,692,452 times
I just bought a box of the Ener-g egg replacer.

I have used it in a vegan pumpkin pie recipe.

I know this is an old thread, just wondering if anyone else has used Ener-g and how the end result was...

The pumpkin pie recipe was from "How it all Vegan", and it was soft in the middle, I think I'll use less soy milk next time.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 AM

127 posts, read 365,446 times
I threw my box of en-er-g away after awhile, because I wasn't using it. The only thing it really works good in is cookies, and there are plenty of cookie recipes out there that don't require it. It tends to give cakes a funny taste, the health food store in my home town uses it in their baked goods and you can tell.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM

yeah, i'm lukewarm on en-er-g. i use it on occasion, but not that often. it's a bit of a crapshoot just substituting it for eggs in non-vegan recipes. i don't know if you could straight up substitute it, but a lot of newer recipes use corn starch, tapioca starch, etc as a binding agent and it seems to come out better.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,209,622 times
I had a box that I threw away also after a long time of not using it. I bought it so I could make muffins and pancakes, etc from boxed mixes that always call for eggs. I tried it a few times and it didn't work. However, long after I threw it out, I found out I had been using it incorrectly. I mixed the Ener-g powder in the other dry ingredients before adding liquid. You're supposed to add it to a little liquid and stir first before adding to a recipe. I'm going to try it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food