Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 PM

239 posts, read 711,338 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am a vegetarian and have been for over 16 years but I have a question:
I know we are all veggie for one reason or another, my daughter has recently (last summer) became a vegetarian because of animal cruelty and it got me thinking...
Is it more cruel to raise animals for clothing and consumption or is it more cruel to let an animal race go extinct?

Again, please do not be angry, it is an honest question. I asked my daughter what she thought would happen to the cows that were raised yet not used and she assumed we would go old-school India and let the cattle roam. I told her this would not happen and that ranchers would either need to sell their land to survive or they would have to stop raising cattle and grow corn or soy.

So, is it better to let cows, pigs, chickens, etc to die off than to continue consuming them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Angry? Not at all, yours is an interesting question.

I read once about all the resources we use up (water, grain, medicine, land, pollution) to produce one pound of beef meat. From a cost analysis, cow meat is wasteful; it would make sense to grow lentils or beans for protein instead of beef cows.

Should they be allowed to go extinct?

The Hereford beef cow is pretty much a man-created animal that would have a hard time fending for itself. Bred for meat production, not for brains. Might take a few generations for it to get its smarts back from survival of the fittest self-determination. The old-breed Longhorns were wily and smart, mean, too, I've heard--and more lean, not so meat-rich.

My point being, does it have to either/or? I'm sure there are some wild 'feral' cows out there on the range just as there are wild mustangs and burro's and goats.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
I was thinking about this last night. The herbivores , as part of nature, evolved and provided food for the carnivores in the food chain. As to why each exists, well, that's just nature. Life exists in all it's many species. That's all there is to it.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 AM

239 posts, read 711,338 times
It will be intersting to see if more people respond.
I can understand the philosphy and history of why we (as humans) eat and wear animal, but it will be interesting to find out what more people think.
Again, I was surprised at my daughters thought that cows will continue to exist in full.
I guess there is a chance that the animals that are strong will survive and the weak will vanish.

After I posted this last night I saw something on TV that they are still trying to collect wild Mustangs in CO to train; I admit that I was somewhat surprised to see there are still wild horses out there. They live on government land.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i'm not exactly vegan for animal welfare reasons (it's *a* reason, but not the main one), but to me, it seems that it would be preferable for a species to go extinct, or to change radically, rather than exclusively living short, painful lives.

that being said, on a traditional farm (using this model: http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/holistic080204.cfm (broken link)) i think animals do live decent lives, and the environmental impact of farming is greatly lessened. i am mainly opposed to factory farming. but traditional farms can't supply meat and dairy products on the scale that americans eat them.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Hi, I hope you don't mind a carnivor popping her head in here, but the thread's title got my curiosity up. That is an interesting question. As for the example of cattle, would we not continue to breed them for milk? Just a thought.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i don't know how sustainable the dairy industry would be without the meat industry.

cows need to have at least one calf to start producing milk, and those calves have to go somewhere. at present many of them go to slaughter. if there was only a dairy industry, there would be no use for the majority of male calves and i'm not sure what would happen to them.

that's part of why i'm vegan - the meat and dairy industries are pretty inextricably linked, especially when it comes to milk.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
Again, I was surprised at my daughters thought that cows will continue to exist in full.
I guess there is a chance that the animals that are strong will survive and the weak will vanish.
Well, as long as they are left alone in their natural state, they should be able to survive. Bulls are pretty strong and would protect the herd, but in captivity you don't see this happen.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 PM

481 posts, read 806,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
Ok, I am a vegetarian and have been for over 16 years but I have a question:
I know we are all veggie for one reason or another, my daughter has recently (last summer) became a vegetarian because of animal cruelty and it got me thinking...
Is it more cruel to raise animals for clothing and consumption or is it more cruel to let an animal race go extinct?

So, is it better to let cows, pigs, chickens, etc to die off than to continue consuming them?
Why is the number of farm animals important? More important IMHO is how well the ones who are here are treated. Think of how we spay and neuter our cats and dogs, instead of letting them breed into great numbers. Farmers will always have a few dairy cows and bulls. They will never become extinct. Remember, when the automobile took over, horses didn't become extinct. And I don't have a problem with individuals slaughtering their own well-kept, grass-fed animals if they simply must be carnivores.

But as the number of vegetarians grow, the ugly feed lots will thankfully disappear. Whenever I drive by one, it breaks my heart. All those cows lying in huge piles of manure, not a blade of grass to be seen. Concentration camps for cows.

The truth is, only about 15% of us are vegetarians, so it will be a very long time before a real balance is achieved. Gradually there will be more vegetarians as more people evolve spiritually and ethically.

We do not need animal hides to clothe us!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM

481 posts, read 806,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
As for the example of cattle, would we not continue to breed them for milk?
You may be surprised to learn that most of the human beings on planet Earth today do not drink or use cow's milk. Further, most of them can't drink milk because it makes them ill.

Of all the mammals, only humans (and then only a minority, principally
Caucasians) continue to drink milk beyond babyhood. Milk is a maternal lactating secretion, a short term nutrient for new-borns. Nothing more, nothing less. Then lactation stops and the young one moves on to more appropriate food.

And there are much better options for calcium consumption than milk. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food