Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,234,494 times

Advertisements

My husband eats all forms of meat but is open to vegetarian options. I cooked a turkey breast for Thanksgiving (I ate chick'n meat substitute instead) but for Christmas I'd like to make full vegetarian meal where I'm eating the same thing as everybody else. Anybody have any suggestions for a vegetarian Christmas menu? Or at least a nice "Christmas-y" vegetarian entree? My current thoughts are a roasted butternet squash with nutmeg, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts and maybe some sort of tomato dish for a little red color. But looking for suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,692,552 times
We have a mix of meat lovers and vegetarians, for dinner we serve two main courses. One is prime rib and the other is spanakopita - and is a huge hit with everyone. The sides will be fresh veggie plate, olives, roasted carrots, mashed potatoes, and a variety of dips.

Another idea we kicked around was a cheese lasagna and Italian themed dinner - good luck!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times
I would make the butternut squash the center of the meal. Fill it with a savory rice pilaf type of deal -- maybe bread stuffing -- and then have veggies on the side. To be really absurdly seasonal, how about filling your squash halves with this:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Or for something that's a nice Christmasy red, what about stuffed red sweet peppers? You could fill the peppers with something that includes a bright-green item like green beans or those Brussels sprouts you mentioned.

Garlic mashed potatoes -- especially redskins with the skins mashed in -- are very Christmasy at my place.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:06 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times
Oh, you know what else is way, totally Christmasy? Baked beets in orange sauce with cinnamon or allspice.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:16 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,773,339 times
Stuffed Portobello mushrooms! There are so many variations that can be tailored depending on taste buds and dietary restrictions.

I am salivating just thinking about them - so rich, so delicious and so satisfying.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 28,486,217 times
Not sure if you eat dairy but Eggplant parmesan is a good vegetarian dish. Tabouli salad, Tuscan white bean dip, Puree 2 cans of white beans that were rinsed and drained, 2 garlic cloves, Olive oil and lemon. Serve with crackers or raw veggies.falafel patties, Vegetable lasagna, glazed carrots, butternut squash soup, Farfalle pasta with broccoli garlic and oil.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 PM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
make some christmas kabobs, with red and green colors- a mix of cut strawberries, green grapes, watermelon,
maybe cherry tomatoes, raspberries,

kids would even like these- on wooden skewers (something different)

good for an appetizer

Old 12-22-2013, 10:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
I am making Burgandy Mushrooms, mashed potatoes, sautéed green beans with garlic, quinoa pilaf, and pesto shrimp. And a field roast.
Along with stuffed pork lion, fresh applesauce. Rolls...

Two vegetarians. The rest are meat eaters.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,722,365 times
Our new go-to meal for holidays is Vegetarian Portobello Wellingtons | Delicious Dishes Recipes

Incidentally, we've decided to leave the Portobello Mushrooms out for Christmas this year. We find the “toothy” bite the article refers to to be a detriment rather than a benefit. So I guess we're just having Mushroom Wellingtons.

Here's a vegan recipe for that: http://www.theveganversion.com/2012/...ellington.html

Old 12-23-2013, 08:49 AM

1,136 posts, read 2,241,765 times
lubby were you spying on me? I'm making Eggplant parmesan for Christmas dinner =) my brother is not a vegetarian but loves it so I decided to compromise. I purchased fresh tomatoes and will make my own sauce tomorrow and let it rest overnight then cook the meal on Christmas. I'll make salad and rice to go with the egglpant, he has to work on Christmas so I'm keeping it simple. I'll get some sort of crusty bread for him, I'm gluten sensitive so won't be able to eat that (I'm using gluten free breadcrumbs for the eggplant) and he'll probably take an eggplant sandwich with him for lunch =) If you want a heartier dish add ricotta between the layers of eggplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food