Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:17 PM

612 posts, read 2,780,107 times

Advertisements

I love eggplant parmesan! (ew, I don't think that is spelled right though)

Last edited by dlh891; 06-10-2007 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: icky spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,642,105 times
I am a dedicated carnivore but still love Vegetarian food. MY favourites are :
Stilton ( or any good blue cheese , gorgozonla, roquefort, even Dloce Latte) Souffle :

Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour

Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
Vegetarian

Ingredients
45g/1¾oz plain flour
45g/1¾oz unsalted butter
250ml/8fl oz full-fat milk
90g/3½oz gruyère cheese, grated
4 free-range egg yolks
salt and cayenne pepper
7 free-range egg whites
juice of ¼ lemon
90g/3½oz stilton cheese, crumbled

To Line the Souffle Dishes:
1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
25g/1oz dry breadcrumbs
20g/¾oz walnuts and hazelnuts, very finely chopped
10g/¼oz parmesan cheese, finely grated

Method
1. Lining the souffle dishes. preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas5, and place in it a baking sheet. Generously butter the inside of the four souffle dishes. Mix the breadcrumbs, chopped nuts and parmesan together and divide between the buttered dishes. Shake them and turn to line them completely. Tip out any excess and chill until needed.
2. Preparing the souffle. Mix the flour and butter together until smooth. Separately boil the milk. Add the flour and butter mixture to the milk and bring it back to the boil, whisking all the time, so you obtain a very smooth texture. (Or you could make a bechamel souffle base in a more traditional way - stirring the flour into the melted butter, then adding the milk gradually, stirring constantly.) Remove from the heat, cool a little, then add the grated gruyère and the egg yolks. Whisk into the mixture. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper, then taste. Correct the seasoning if necessary. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks, then whisk in a little salt and fold in most of the crumbled stilton. Whisk a quarter to a third of the egg white into the gruyère base mixture to lighten a little, then fold in the remainder carefully.
3. Cooking the souffles. The oven must be well preheated by now. Fill the four souffle dishes with enough mixture to come half-way up, add the remaining stilton, and fill to the top with the remaining mixture. Smooth with a palette knife. Run your thumb along the sides of the dishes to push the mixture slightly away from the sides. Place the dishes on the hot baking sheet (this helps provide an instant lift), and bake in the oven for about 13-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Serve immediately to your guests.

Variations:
You could replace the stilton with another blue cheese, such as roquefort. The gruyère could be replaced by parmesan.

I also adore Roasted Red Pepper Mousse:
Bavarois de Poivrons Rouges (Mousse of Red Peppers)

Can be prepared 1 day ahead, as can the Tomato Vinaigrette. Makes 8 – 10 portions.
½ onion, peeled and chopped
½ dl olive oil
2 medium size ripe tomatoes, halved, seeded and finely chopped
5 red peppers, roasted
salt
pepper
Cayenne pepper
4 gelatin leaves, soaked in cold water to soften
1 dl white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
4 dl whipping cream

For the Jelly and Julienne of Peppers (optional):
1 red pepper
salt
pepper
1 leaf gelatin, softened in cold water

For the sauce:
100 ml olive oil, extra virgin
500 grams cherry tomatoes
5 grams salt
10 ml white wine vinegar
2 grams ground white pepper
10 grams Caster sugar

Always use the ripest tomatoes possible for this recipe. Blend the tomatoes in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Add the olive oil and all remaining ingredients, pass through a very fine sieve. Adjust the seasoning to taste, as this will depend a great deal on the quality of the tomatoes.

Preparing the red pepper mousse: Roast peppers in tin foil for 30-45 minutes at 190°C until cooked, without being browned. Place in a bowl, add plastic cling film, and let rest for 30 minutes. Remove red peppers from boil, reserve juices for jelly. Sweat the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and cook covered with a lid, on medium heat for about 20 minutes. All of the moisture will have been removed. Cool down pulp and add red peppers purée through a food processor and force it through a sieve or mouli-legumes (You should obtain no more than 2 dl purée. You may find you have more). Warm up the purée and add 4 softened gelatin leaves, stir until dissolved. Separately mix the 2 vinegars in a casserole and reduce by 2/3 of its volume and add it to the purée. Taste, and then add salt and cayenne pepper. Cool down completely at room temperature.

Whip cream in a bowl until firm and fold delicately into the pulp. Taste and adjust seasoning. Place ring over a flat serving dish and pour in the mousse. Smooth top with pallet knife and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours to allow it to set.

Preparing the jelly and julienne of peppers: Bring the reserved juice to the boil and dissolve remaining leaf of gelatin in the juice. Allow it to cool down.

Julienne of pepper: Peel the pepper, cut in half deseed, cut the two halves into strips, divide each strip in half, horizontally, and cut very fine julienne sticks from the pepper. Season it with salt and pepper. Reserve.

Finishing the dish: Scatter julienne of pepper over mousse and spoon out jelly on the top. Refrigerate.

Serving: Loosen the mousse from ring with blade of a warm knife, and then lift the ring. Place raw tomato coulis in a sauceboat and serve to your guests. Should you have more than 2 dl of pulp then use 17 leaves of gelatin per liter of pulp.

Also Wild Mushroom Fricassee :

* Servings: 4
* Level of difficulty: Easy
* Preparation Time: 20 minutes
* Cooking Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients
For the main:

* 100ml dry white wine
* 400g fresh wild mushrooms
* 5 dried black trumpets, (optional)
* 1 ficelle, or thin baguette
* 2 garlic clove, 1 peeled, 1 peeled and pureed
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter
* half a shallot, or quarter of an onion finely chopped
* 4 pinches of Salt
* 2 pinches of freshly ground pepper
* juice of half a lemon
* a handful of flat-leafed parsley, coarsely chopped
* 2 Tomatoes, quartered, de-seeded and cut into 5mm dice

Method

1. If using black trumpets soak them in plenty of water for 1-2 hours. Drain, pat dry and trim off the base of their stalks.

2. In a small saucepan bring the white wine to the boil and boil for 30 seconds. Reserve.

3. Brush any earth and dirt carefully off the wild mushrooms. Wash briefly (for 10-15 seconds at the most) in water and drain on a clean tea-towel. Set aside.

4. Make the croutons by slicing the ficelle into 3mm thick slices. Toast the slices until golden brown and rub with the clove of peeled garlic.

5. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Fry the chopped shallots, stirring, over medium heat for 30 seconds without allowing them to brown.

6. Turn up the heat and add the garlic and all the wild mushrooms apart from the black trumpets.

7. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the reserved white wine and gently mix in.

8. Cover the frying pan with a large lid and cook over high heat for 1 minute.

9. Uncover the mushrooms and add the lemon juice. Stir in the remaining butter until melted.

10. Add the black trumpets, two-thirds of the parsley leaves and the diced tomatoes. Cook for a further 10-30 seconds.

11. Serve the mushrooms fricassee in either a large bowl or four soup plates. Sprinkle over the remaining parsley and serve with the croutons on the side.

I also love a simple French Onion Tart or gratinee French Onion Soup.... Plus lentil soup, haricot bean soup, carrot soup, etc...
This is making me hungry...

Old 06-16-2007, 12:32 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
I was vegetarian for about 10 years and eat meatless meals with the same enthusiasm as more mainstream meals.

My favorite thing to eat is bean burritos. If they're made with fresh cooked beans as opposed to canned they're even better. In fact, that may be the best part about healthy eating; less of it is made from pre-packaged food and more is made from scratch. Ymmm.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,302,233 times
I used to make one I really loved

Broccoli Rice casserole.

One can of cream of mushroom soup

Minute Rice

Broccoli

Velvetta cheese

Water chestnuts.

You combine the cooked broc, rice, mushroom soup and water chestnuts and layer it, putting the Velveeta in between each layer...its good but not too sure its SO healthy.

My daughter won't eat mushrooms or I would be making it now.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 PM

157 posts, read 479,616 times
Broccoli and green beans

My favorite recipe for broccoli and green beans is courtesy of Food Network Everyday Italian. Veggies turn out crisp and tasty while maintaining an appetizing color. Here’s my improvised version of the recipe.

One head of broccoli florets
A handful of string beans
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I like Goya brand)
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin or as much garlic you prefer
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more if desired
Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil.

Have ready a large bowl of ice water.

Parboil veggies by placing string beans into pot and cook for 2 minutes then add the broccoli florets and boil for another 2 minutes. Do not overcook to bring water back to a full boil. Overcooking will result in soggy vegetables.

Using a spider strainer, remove beans and broccoli from pot and place it in a bowl of ice water.

When veggies are completely cool, place it in a colander and allow to drain.

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil under medium to high heat until oil starts to slightly smoke.

Add the broccoli and green beans to the pan and saute. Reduce heat to medium if necessary to prevent burning.

After 2 minutes, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue tossing the veggies for another 3 minutes. Or these can be added at any time during the cooking process.

Total sauteing time: 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Yummy.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,784,445 times
Favorite Veg. Sandwich

crusty bread, layer the following:
roasted peppers
artichokes
sun dried tomatoes
sliced black olives
feta cheese
sprinkle black pepper & oregano
toast for a minute in toaster oven and top with balsamic vinegar

Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 AM

5 posts, read 17,021 times
Default ...

is it posible to be vegetarian and don't eat rice and pasta...?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,667,443 times
My wife is the cook in our family, and lucky for me, she has a passion for cooking. There is an absoultely delectable dish in a cookbook called "Veganomicon." I don't know the name of it offhand (I can check when I get home tonight), but it's a salad that includes baked portabellas, avocados, onions, and chickpeas. Highly recommended ... so many wonderful textures and bold flavors. I'll report back when I have more info.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,667,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris698 View Post
I imagine it's possible ... but rice and pasta are both staples of our diet, I admit. We'd have a hard time giving up either one.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 AM

696 posts, read 1,430,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris698 View Post
Definitely. You might want to include some grains in your diet though, like buckwheat, quinoa, or amaranth. Especially if you are vegan and not getting your complete proteins from animal products like eggs & dairy. If you are getting a lot of your protein from beans, you want to combine them with grains. Seeds and nuts work in combination with beans too, to make complete proteins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food