Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 AM

696 posts, read 1,430,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Hmmm....I have to think on this one, but I always loved the Chef Salad. I guess that's my favorite. I love salads. With tiny chunks of ham, bacon, a cut up hardboiled egg, and the lettuce and spinach leaves...Yummm!!!
vegetarian/vegan food forum + meat recipes = fail.

I've flagged this post but I wonder, how much is the forum moderated? city-data is a convenient place for food-talk but if this forum gets gummed up with meatspam it won't succeed. There are lots of veg forums around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,866,660 times
Best dish I can make:

Veggie enchiladas - full of black beans, corn, etc - very nice!

Best dish to eat:

Italian antipasti prepared grilled peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and carrots - could eat it all day.

Last edited by Xpat; 08-26-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,668,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
vegetarian/vegan food forum + meat recipes = fail.

I've flagged this post but I wonder, how much is the forum moderated? city-data is a convenient place for food-talk but if this forum gets gummed up with meatspam it won't succeed. There are lots of veg forums around.

In fairness, that post was made before there was a separate veg subforum. But it's still odd that someone would think that's a vegetarian dish ...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Best dish to eat:
Italian antipasti prepared grilled peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and carrots - could eat it all day.
Best dish in the world, I'd say! Although Rapture's toasted sandwich sounded great....I'd grill a Portobello mushroom olive olive, too/instead of feta.

This may seem silly to you, but do you have an abundance of good quality olive oil available to you? There are so many brands here, some very $$$, and some not...any suggestions you might have? So far, it's been trial and error. I'm using Martini's Extra Virgin olive oil now, it's pretty mild. I use it on almost everything - it's my replacement for butter~

Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Let me do some research - there are literally hundreds available over here.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Best dish in the world, I'd say! Although Rapture's toasted sandwich sounded great....I'd grill a Portobello mushroom olive olive, too/instead of feta.

This may seem silly to you, but do you have an abundance of good quality olive oil available to you? There are so many brands here, some very $$$, and some not...any suggestions you might have? So far, it's been trial and error. I'm using Martini's Extra Virgin olive oil now, it's pretty mild. I use it on almost everything - it's my replacement for butter~
Licking my lips after finishing some antipasti (drenched in olive oil) we made last night....aah. Too bad I undercooked the eggplant...

The brand we use is De Cecco Extra Virgin which for us is a perfect combination of great taste and decent price - about five euros, or $7 a bottle at the grocery store. Not sure what it costs in the States, assuming you can find it. It has a refined and balanced taste that does not overpower what you are cooking.

There are so many great olive oils out there but most Italians but their year's supply from a friend or relative since there are thousands of small-scale producers. That seems to be the best stuff but you need to know someone well enough to get your dibs in for the season.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,921 times
Thanks so much, Xpat. I've not seen that brand at New Seasons, Market of Choice or Whole Foods (all of which carry several diff. brands.). I like the one I use now, pretty light tasting, & good for cooking & dipping sauce. (although, it's from Greece ~).

I' still thinking here about favorite dishes, but they change so often, depends on what I cook. For winter I really like un-meatloaf, potatoes and green peas. What a classic, but takes some prep work. I really like 'Fronch toast', with cinammon, too!

Amy's is my saviour for when I just don't feel like cooking. I've several of their soups, frozen dinners and pot pies. It' good to have so many choices ~

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,446,886 times
I am not sure how much of an issue this still is... but concerning adulterated olive oil, check this out

Olive Oil Fraud Rampant as Demand Skyrockets : NPR

As far as favorite dishes... I love casseroles and one dish meals and in the summer I love big salads with lots of things in them, like sunflower seeds, garbanzo beans, avocado, tomato, all kinds of veggies. I LOVE guacamole! Yum. And I love spinach and garlic and sundried tomato enchiladas!!!
Now I am getting hungry

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM

17 posts, read 35,851 times
I just checked out the veganyumyum website- I am so hungry now!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,690,725 times
That would be my lentil-barley soup with all the vegetables from the vegetable bin that are growing middle-aged or old..they revive nicely in the simmering soup pot. I use sweet potato instead of white.

The secret of the broth is a small can of tomato puree, a bit of real lemon juice, a nice dollop of good olive oil and some Thai hot pepper sauce...warms us in all the good places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food