Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times

Advertisements

We like the veggie pizza (hold the black olives) from our local Pizza Hut. And last summer, on vacation in Maine, the veggie pizza we got from Pat's was excellent.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my wife is, so unless I buy it/cook it, I don't eat nearly as much meat as I used to. And at this point I prefer a good veggie pizza to any other kind of pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I've noticed that too. My advice is when the group is large enough to order two (or more) pizzas make sure that at least one whole pie is veggie. I've found that even amongst meat-eaters there are people who don't like the standard pepperoni or sausage, whether for taste or dietary reasons.
The Adam Corolla podcast tackled this one the other day, hilarious!!

He was screaming about adults that order pepperoni pizza for adult parties (football) or meetings.

He ranted "what are, 7 years old at the neighbors sleepover?! I'm a man, with adult tastes - let's get some spinach, sun dried tomato and artisan cheeses!!!"

Ha.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times
Papa John's and Domino's cheese has non-animal rennet. I've done some research.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Plain cheese pizza is vegetarian.........

Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 AM

415 posts, read 1,779,582 times
Organic vegeterian pizza at Trader Joe's. Huge, delicious pie chock full of artichoke, olives, and some other good stuff which I can't remember right now.

$4.29, no tax. And delicious.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Plain cheese pizza is vegetarian.........
Uhm nope. Not always. Sorry. But thanks for playing.

Please read the entire thread.

p.s. yes, I am cranky tonight.

Last edited by plaidmom; 03-13-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 05:21 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post

Organic vegeterian pizza at Trader Joe's.$4.29, no tax. And delicious.
I wish I had seen this post sooner as we just got back from TJ’s which is 75 miles away.
We will be going back in a couple of weeks and I can’t wait to get a couple of those pizzas.

I always get a couple bags of their pizza dough while I’m there.
I wonder if this dough would be OK if I froze it or maybe if I formed it into shape and then froze it.
Anyone try that?

Those big square sheets of Lavash Bread make a quick and easy pizza crust.
Armenian Cracker bread does also.
I’ll bet a big flour tortilla would work, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I wish I had seen this post sooner as we just got back from TJ’s which is 75 miles away.
We will be going back in a couple of weeks and I can’t wait to get a couple of those pizzas.

I wonder if this dough would be OK if I froze it or maybe if I formed it into shape and then froze it.
Anyone try that?

Can't speak to Trader Joe's specifically, but I buy dough balls at the local mom-n-pop ( a HUGE deal at $1 per ball) and freeze those for up to 3 months at a time. I let them defrost in the fridge overnight, then let them rise at room temp the next day. I then punch them down(gently) and shape into any shape I desire (pizza, smaller "personal" pies, foccacia, etc) let them rest for ~30 min, then bake as usual.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,582 times
Next time you're there, check out the organic pesto veggie pizza also. Very tasty, about $5.

Their pre-made salads are awesome too. Their frozen section and pre made salads are so sweeet! They only fall down a bit with their produce section, which is eh...have I told you how good their frozen foods and pre made meals are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

Anyone try that?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Uhm nope. Not always. Sorry. But thanks for playing.

Please read the entire thread.

p.s. yes, I am cranky tonight.
The only likely way a cheese pizza is not vegetarian is if they use animal rennet in the mozzarella. The OP would have to ask every different place she or he ate. Some manufacturers will tell you. Some will say right on the cheese package.

Also sometimes they will use bovine chymosin, produced recombinantly in a laboratory as alternative resource to the one from the cows.

-vegetarian pizzaiolo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food