Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
It's a lifestyle with surfers. They want to know that they can go surfing in the morning then go to work.

That's not tenable when you're inland.

I'm not one myself, but I'm surrounded by them in my family and my wife's family.
Not all surfers. I want to know about the original poster surfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Not all surfers. I want to know about the original poster surfer.
We'll have to wait to see what he ends up doing

In the meantime, there's a reason he's not in RSM or Foothill Ranch.

Last edited by HSP1161; 01-25-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:

In the meantime, there's a reason he's not in RSM or Foothill Ranch.
I understand the correlation; we don't know where his OC job was either. It may well have been near San Clemente so he wouldn't have ever considered inland suburbia like his considering now.

A person has to commute five times a week - no way around that. How likely is it he'd be surfing five days a week even if he lived within three miles of the beach? That's the question. Also, past behaviors may not be future behaviors - for example - if they start having kids - there becomes less time for surfing and inlandia and shorter commutes might make more sense.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
It's a lifestyle with surfers. They want to know that they can go surfing in the morning then go to work.

That's not tenable when you're inland.

I'm not one myself, but I'm surrounded by them in my family and my wife's family.
The OP states that the desire is to be "not too far from the water," which was later clarified to the point that Camarillo might be an acceptable place to live. The other desire is to be within a one-hour commute of the job in Westlake Village. There will be a compromise in this pull-pull situation. If the OP wants a "surf culture" above all, this was not stated.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Oxnard and Ventura are within 1 hour of Westlake Village. Camarillo gets him 15-30 minutes closer.

My point was that if the OP wanted white bread stucco boxes lined neatly in rows, he'd be living in RSM or Irvine, not San Clemente. And he was citing areas near the water he liked - with a passing mention about suburbs 10+ miles from shore.

It was a safe assumption. Now let him speak/do his thing.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Oxnard and Ventura are within 1 hour of Westlake Village. Camarillo gets him 15-30 minutes closer.

My point was that if the OP wanted white bread stucco boxes lined neatly in rows, he'd be living in RSM or Irvine, not San Clemente. And he was citing areas near the water he liked - with a passing mention about suburbs 10+ miles from shore.

It was a safe assumption. Now let him speak/do his thing.
On the face of it, Camarillo wouldn't be my choice, either, but then again, neither would working in WLV. I've done the 101 commute between Ox/Ven - WLV. It ain't fun, particularly going home. The traffic can be very jammed and there are few options aside from driving. (They exist, but your situation has to be exact for them to work out.) I'd be reluctant to take a job in WLV without moving to the Conejo Valley, which for me would only be an option in the most extreme case. But I digress, this isn't about me. Back to the OP.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,781 times
Quote:
If the OP likes San Clemente proper and wants the surf environs, he will definitely not like Camarillo (as my spuse says, "there's no 'there there' "). He strikes me as a T-Street dweller, not one who would consider Talega.

But the extra 20-30 mins to go 10 miles is a pain, no doubt.
Exactly, Right now I live biking distance from Trestles and also make the short drive to TStreet, I try to get out and surf as much as possible, ideally every morning before work altho sometimes it doesn't work out that way, I like to still have the option.

Prior to living in SC I lived in Huntington Beach for the same reason.

I'm far from the Talega million dollar+ home range + I find it boring even if I could afford it.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis71 View Post
Exactly, Right now I live biking distance from Trestles and also make the short drive to TStreet, I try to get out and surf as much as possible, ideally every morning before work altho sometimes it doesn't work out that way, I like to still have the option.

Prior to living in SC I lived in Huntington Beach for the same reason.

I'm far from the Talega million dollar+ home range + I find it boring even if I could afford it.

Where did you work?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 12,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Where did you work?
Right now I work from home but I used to commute to Irvine from Huntington Beach and also from San Clemente, both commutes took around 45min or more with traffic.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis71 View Post
I was wondering if any Ventura locals could help me?

I was offered a job in Westlake Village and I'm currently living in San Clemente , Orange County which makes the commute impossible, We're a young couple in our 30's with two dogs, one large breed and I love to surf in my free time.

All I know about Oxnard is from driving up there twice to check it out, so far I really liked the area of the Ventura Fairgrounds and Emma Wood State Beach and the pier, I also checked out the strand but it took me like 20min just to get back on the 101.

Don't really care for bars, hip places or anything, just want a peaceful place not too far from surfing, that would be ok with dogs, looking to spend up to $1800 for a 2/3 bedroom, should I consider Camarillo or Thousand Oaks? they seemed very far from the water.

How about the commute in morning traffic?, I don't really mind driving an hour if I had to.

Thank you very much.
Just sayin' How about Westlake Village to Malibu via Kanan Dume Rd? If you can afford living in Malibu, the commute wouldn't be as bad as the 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County