Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:02 AM

43 posts, read 196,663 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Ventura County area, my husband will be working in Oxnard. From visiting Oxnard, we know we will probably not want to live there. But coming from San Bernardino/Riverside/ and a cheaper part of LA area, the prices out there to buy are pretty high to buy and even to rent. My husband will be making a little more money and we could probably afford rent as high as $2000 a month. Where is a great place to live, near the water preferrably that is safe and has great schools. I have visited Camarillo and I like it, but not sure how close it is to the water. My husband keeps coming back to Channel Islands; Is that considered a part of Oxnard, and is there any nice parts of Oxnard?

ANy more suggestions about this would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
What about northern Ventura, between Ventura and Saticoy.

School Performance Maps

Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Can you tell me more about that area?

Old 05-23-2009, 04:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Where in Oxnard will he be working?

What does "near the water" mean?

Did you check the school performance map?

Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,581 times
There are a fair amount of houses/apts for rent throughout the area under $2k. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Wish you luck and will be following you in 2012... I pray.

Check out Craigs List, Ventura County at: http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/

Also The Ventura County Star at: http://www.venturacountystar.com/

jOE

Old 05-24-2009, 01:17 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiagreengal View Post
We will be relocating to the Ventura County area, my husband will be working in Oxnard. From visiting Oxnard, we know we will probably not want to live there. But coming from San Bernardino/Riverside/ and a cheaper part of LA area, the prices out there to buy are pretty high to buy and even to rent. My husband will be making a little more money and we could probably afford rent as high as $2000 a month. Where is a great place to live, near the water preferrably that is safe and has great schools. I have visited Camarillo and I like it, but not sure how close it is to the water. My husband keeps coming back to Channel Islands; Is that considered a part of Oxnard, and is there any nice parts of Oxnard?

"Channel Islands" is a misnomer. (There will likely never be an incorporated city there.) The beach areas belong to various jurisdictions. Oxnard Shores and Dunes are in the City of Oxnard. Hollywood and Silverstrand Beaches are in the County of Ventura. All go by the city address, "Oxnard". In the Channel Islands Harbor, Westport, Seabridge, Paninula Drive, Harbor Island and the areas north of CI Blvd are all in the City of Oxnard. North of CI Bl east of Victoria is the City of Port Hueneme for a stretch. The kids there go to Hollywood Beach School in the County. So the area around the beach/harbor is all broken up.

There are many nice areas of Oxnard. The city has many pockets of nice surprises. It's actually easier to mention the areas to avoid. IMO, La Colonia and Southwinds are areas I wouldn't live. If you like typical suburban living, neighborhoods in north Oxnard will probably suit you. If you like living close to stores and services and don't mind a little hustle/bustle, the area around the Financial Plaza/Esplanade is for you. Downtown is also making a comeback if you like older and revitalizing areas. Downtown gives you immediate access to city services, library and the main bus/train depot in addition to movies, farmers markets and restaurants all near by. Riverpark is a nice development. And too soon for your needs now, but the Wagon Wheel has a village-type walking/transit oriented development coming in the next 3 - 5 years. Think downtown Pasadena and you'll get the picture. Oxnard is nothing like San Berdo, Riverside.

Oxnard is ethnically mixed -- Latin, Caucasian, Asian, mainly.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,870 times
Default I live in Oxnard

I have lived in Oxnard and the Ventura County area now for 29 years. There are some nice pockets in Oxnard but there is a lot of gang activity here. Camarillo is very nice and much safer than Oxnard, but they do have some gang activity going on there too, but it is much less. In Ventura there are some nice areas near Ventura College, but if you want to be near the water there is also one of my favorite areas "The Keys" some homes are right accross the street from the beach and most are within 2 or 3 blocks. There is some gang activity in the adjacent area know as Pierpont. Such a shame since that area is cute. Stay away from the Ventura Avenue area. Bad area between gangs and just a lot of drug traffic and rough crowd. If you drive around besides the Keys area, there is Telegraph Road that goes between Main Street all the way to Santa Paula. From Main Street to about Kimball is pretty nice. Schools are ok. Areas in between Telegraph Road, which is very long and Foothill Road(closer to the mountains) are nice. You don't here too much about any problems in that area. The area of Telegraph that is closer to Main isn't very far from the beach.

I agree that Camarillo is not that close to the water and can even be a litte warmer that the Ventura or Oxnard areas, but it is a very nice place to live.

If you have any questions you can't direct mail me or report here.

Char

Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:

I was just thinking about Camarillo and did a search, found you post and thought I would do a FOLLOW-UP to see how thiings worked out. Hope you can share the GOOD and the BAD.

jOE
Angeles City
still in the Philippines

Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I haven't been on this site in a while, until now I have a question about the University Prep School CSU Charter school for my son that's starting K (another thread). So anyways we found a great place to rent for now in Camarillo. It's an older home, but couldn't beat 4 bd, 2 bath, compared to townhomes with only 2bd/1 bath for the same price. Now that I know the areas in Ventura, I am so glad we made the right decision in Camarillo. I like going to Ventura sometimes to shop and even Oxnard once in a while, but so glad when I am back home. We have the outlets here and Trader Joe's, that's really all I need. Would love to have more, but that's ok. My son takes Karate and is in a wonderful Preschool.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I haven't been on this site in a while, until now I have a question about the University Prep School CSU Charter school for my son that's starting K (another thread). So anyways we found a great place to rent for now in Camarillo. It's an older home, but couldn't beat 4 bd, 2 bath, compared to townhomes with only 2bd/1 bath for the same price. Now that I know the areas in Ventura, I am so glad we made the right decision in Camarillo. I like going to Ventura sometimes to shop and even Oxnard once in a while, but so glad when I am back home. We have the outlets here and Trader Joe's, that's really all I need. Would love to have more, but that's ok. My son takes Karate and is in a wonderful Preschool.

Californiagreengal,

Good to hear that all is well with you and yours. I have been tracking rental prices in Camarillo on Craigslist. I know that isn't the best but it is very easy to work with. You mentioned some town house, may I ask what you are finding the rent to be for a 3 br 2.5 ba Townhouse or Apartment or even a house?

Also sounds like your son is doing great and Karate is an excellent way to teach him self-control and yet give him the confidence he need to face much of life.

Good on ya and best to you and yours.

jOE
Angeles City
still in the Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County