Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,666 times

Advertisements

I am an elementary teacher. My family and I will be moving to Ventura county in the next few months. I thought it would be great timing for me considering I can finish up this school year and find a job for next year. However I cannot find any jobs posted for teaching elementary school. Is there a hiring freeze? Teacher layoffs? Or is it possible that they have not listed jobs for next year?
If you know of any teaching jobs out there please fill me in on where to look.
We will be living within 30 miles of the naval base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
edjoin.com is the website to go to for CA teaching jobs. It's not a good time to be looking for a teaching job in CA.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,188 times
Those that have teaching jobs are working hard to hold on to them. I have at least 4 members of my immediate family that are in this situation, one of whom was recognized as teacher of the year for the state of CA in her respective subject.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Those that have teaching jobs are working hard to hold on to them. I have at least 4 members of my immediate family that are in this situation, one of whom was recognized as teacher of the year for the state of CA in her respective subject.
This is where a meritocracy should reign. Unfortunately, it's not that way.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I know our kids district has slashed programs. They just don't have the money anymore. They are also increasing class size so that they can keep from hiring teachers. In Oxnard alone their are four districts and all of them are cutting teaching positions. In the Conejo Valley District they are also cutting positions. That is a very good district but they are also faced with budget cuts. The state is about broke and they keep sending the districts fewer dollars.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,188 times
We need to start considering consolidating districts. There are a number of excellent consolidated districts (Irvine USD, for example) that serve 100k+ population centers.

Let's keep our class sizes small, even if it means making districts larger.

I'd rather cut administrators than teachers. The money goes farther.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
We need to start considering consolidating districts. There are a number of excellent consolidated districts (Irvine USD, for example) that serve 100k+ population centers.

Let's keep our class sizes small, even if it means making districts larger.

I'd rather cut administrators than teachers. The money goes farther.
Even if you keep the districts small I would bet all of them are bloated at the top.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,666 times
wow. Thanks for all of your responses. its hard to understand why a state like california would not be able to afford teachers. I know its a complex issue. We are in the DC area and there is always a teacher shortage and there are many similar challenges. But oh well, it may be time for me to switch careers.

What industries are growing in Ventura county?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Healthcare is always doing well we have 8 acute care hospitals in the area. We have the Bio corridor along the 101 (101 freway between Ventura and Westlake Village lets say.) Amgen, Baxter, and many others including offshoots of those companies are within the area. BMW, Mercedes, and a few others have sites within the area. The Port of Hueneme is booming. may be hard to get in there though. May not be your thing but HASS Automation the largest builder of CNC machines is based in Oxnard.

Have you considered working within secondary education? I know places like the University of Phoenix, University of La Verne and others are always looking for instructors.

Maybe this will help;

//www.city-data.com/forum/ventu...ell-known.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County