Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I have some Filipino friends who used to rave about a market at Saviers and Yucca in south Oxnard.

I think I know the place. I think it is called Pilipinas Bakery on Saviers Road. It really isn't a bakery (it's more of a restaurant and a market). We (my Filipino buddies and I from Point Mugu) used to go there for lunch. Weird food. Weird purple squids and oddly prepared seafood.

There are tons of Filipinos in Oxnard because many of them are from the Navy at Point Mugu and Port Hueneme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times

Does anyone know of any Taiwanese or Chinese markets in the Ventura area? I really do need to visit Oxnard more often, but I'm loath to waste the time and gas when I can walk to most of what I need.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out Pilipinas Bakery. Is it really on the corner of Saviers and Yucca?

Does anyone have any good suggestions of where else I should visit when I go to Oxnard? Looking specifically for cheap fresh veggies and a good inexpensive butcher. Feel free to mention thrift stores and anything else that you think interesting.

Last edited by sponger42; 01-09-2008 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Used "interest" twice in one sentence.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

Does anyone know of any Taiwanese or Chinese markets in the Ventura area? I really do need to visit Oxnard more often, but I'm loath to waste the time and gas when I can walk to most of what I need.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out Pilipinas Bakery. Is it really on the corner of Saviers and Yucca?

Does anyone have any good suggestions of where else I should visit when I go to Oxnard? Looking specifically for cheap fresh veggies and a good inexpensive butcher. Feel free to mention thrift stores and anything else that you think interesting.
Work Google Maps.

market loc: ventura, ca - Google Maps

Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:

There's a nice little hole-in-the wall Thai-Chinese restaurant at the corner of Vineyard and Oxnard Blvd, behind the Mexican Grill, in the same wing as the Kampai sushi place.

There is another Asian market somewhere in town, but for the life of me, I can't bring the location far enough forward in my mind to tell you. Let me think about it.

There are several thrift stores on Ox Bl starting at around 2nd Street. La Gloria, downtown next to Amtrak, is a good market for Hispanic food, and it's right right around the corner from a discount clothing store. Thomas Cafe on A Street is well worth a visit. If you explore that area on a Thursday, you can hit the downtown farmers market at Plaza Park. Otherwise, the Channel Islands Harbor hosts a farmers market on Sundays. Oxnard Convention and Visitors Bureau - Oxnard, California

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 PM

46 posts, read 152,246 times
Quote:

There's an Asian food store near the Buddy Burger in Oxnard.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Thanks, doily, where's Buddy Burger?

Cre8, I went to the fisherman's market at the Ventura Harbor last Sunday, but it wasn't going on. Was it due to the rain or do they not have it in the winter?

I'll check out the CI farmer's market. Are the prices better than the midtown Saturday farmer's market?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Thanks, doily, where's Buddy Burger?

Cre8, I went to the fisherman's market at the Ventura Harbor last Sunday, but it wasn't going on. Was it due to the rain or do they not have it in the winter?

I'll check out the CI farmer's market. Are the prices better than the midtown Saturday farmer's market?
Not sure about Ventura Harbor farmers market, my guess it was canceled because of rain. I've seen the CI Harbor farmers market operate in rain, but last Sunday's storm was forecasted to be a big one.

Buddy Burger is downtown on Oxnard Blvd.

Also forgot to mention in my earlier post about the Salvation Army thrift store just outside of downtown at 5th and Ventura Road. Between it and downtown it's kinda' nice to walk the Henry T. Oxnard Historic District. Though over now, F & G Streets do a very nice job decorating for Christmas. Also, on the subject of downtown Oxnard, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Heritage Square.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I have some Filipino friends who used to rave about a market at Saviers and Yucca in south Oxnard. I'll ask them about it. One woman traveled all the way from Santa Barbara once a week to shop there. I'll see what I can find out. Or maybe someone else here knows.
Pretty sure you're talking about the Fuwa Market.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,544 times
I am moving from virginia to the Ventura area. Just how bad is the rents there? I will need a 4 bedroom, since there are 4 kids, and they range in age from 5 to 13.

thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 AM

35 posts, read 230,718 times
Houses like that in Ventura are going for $2200-$3000 depending on location and condition. There are actually quite a lot of them in the classifieds right now - people who can't sell them are renting them out instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County