Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 27,654 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I currently live and work in Simi Valley, but feel it's time to separate my work and personal life by moving to a more exciting area. Being a twenty-something single college graduate, Simi Valley is not exactly an ideal environment, even though it's extremely convenient. LA is not for me (at least, not the areas close enough to make the commute), and I'd rather not move to TO, Moorpark, Westlake, or the other surrounding suburban-esque communities. Thus, I'm leaning towards Ventura.

Anyone making the commute from downtown/mid-town to Simi Valley during the week? I estimate it will likely take about 45 minutes both ways (yes, I'm being optimistic) and plan to take the 118, since I work right off Tierra Rejada as you're entering Simi. Just wondering if living in Ventura will be worth the commute...?

Also, I'm narrowing my apartment search to downtown and mid-town (and near the beach, if I'm lucky). Any complexes and/or neighborhoods that I should be mindful of to narrow my search even more? I'm looking for a studio/1 BR for $1,000 or under (not too many of those listed, but there are some!). Just trying to find a safe neighborhood that's also close to the action (bars, stores, restaurants, etc), especially since I will be living alone. I've been visiting Ventura all my life but you can really only know an area well once you've lived there, so this post goes out to the locals!

One more thing... Since I'm not in a rush, would it be prudent to wait until the summer season ends to make the move? I'm wondering if I'll have better luck in September, especially since I'm looking for month-to-month.

I'm also open to thoughts on other cities that might be appealing for someone in my life stage.

Thanks for the input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
The commute is going to be way more than 45 minutes both ways, with mild traffic it is going to be around 45 minutes one-way.

Regardless, Ventura is nearly as "suburban-esque" as the communities you are trying to avoid and Los Angeles has 100x more going on than Ventura. If the goal is to find a "more exciting area" you're looking in the wrong direction...look South. For example, Burbank would be a similar commute (maybe a bit longer) and large parts of Los Angeles are easily accessible from it.

Personally, I've never been able to make sense out of this idea. Its always made more sense to me to live near work and commute to fun over the weekend. Lower costs, less commuting, less dealing with traffic...

Old 06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,593 times
I think the commute will be about 45 minutes each way.

I would think you want either downtown or midtown Ventura.

If downtown, your target area is walking distance to California and Main. That is the center of restaurants/clubs/etc. From there you can also walk to the beach, Grant Park (hiking, etc), and shops. In downtown, it is possible to find a 1BR/Studio under $1,000 but a lot of the places leave a bit to be desired so check csarefully. If you bump to $2000 (with a roommate perhaps) your options improve substantially. Stay away from the Avenues (along Ventura Ave)

If Midtown, you will be bicycling distance to downtown/beaches/etc easily enough. Here you might be best with a guesthouse or room rental. As you go east, there are pockets where it isn't all that great. Stay away from Saratoga/Cypress Pt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Personally, I've never been able to make sense out of this idea. Its always made more sense to me to live near work and commute to fun over the weekend. Lower costs, less commuting, less dealing with traffic...
People like to live where the action is. They can walk to the beach, then go home, change, and walk to dinner. You can spend the day in downtown doing various activities and home is always walking distance.

Work commute, while it is 5 days each week each way, is more of an extension of work itself. You put the music on and putter into work. After you are home, work is over, you go out on the town.

When you live right there, it doesn't have to be a weekend only thing. If you have to drive to it, it frequently is.

Also, it is much cooler in Ventura, particularly close to the ocean. Most enjoy good weather on their days off more than their workdays.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 27,654 times
Thank you! I was hoping someone would respond with specific parameters to use as guidelines. I'll definitely keep in mind to clear of Saratoga/Cypress, as well as west of Ventura Ave.

Oops. I intended to say 45 min each way. My bad.

I realize it's counter-intuitive, but unless one is a hermit (which I'm not), it becomes difficult living in a place that you cannot relate to. In my mind, each decision involves a sacrifice. For the past 2 years, I've sacrificed living in a place with other twenty-somethings and things to do during the week for a commute that is around 20 minutes a day. However, I desperately miss living in a place that offers close-by happy hours, walks to the beach, and meeting people my own age. Besides, living somewhere where things are "happening" will allow me to give my a car a break on the weekends.

As far as LA goes, not only does its vibe not suit me (at least, the places within commuting distance), it also has horrible traffic and parking, as well as much hotter weather. I'm a big fan of 75 degrees and below.

Thanks for your replies, guys. It's much appreciated!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
People like to live where the action is. They can walk to the beach, then go home, change, and walk to dinner. You can spend the day in downtown doing various activities and home is always walking distance.
Yes and for some it can make sense, but I've never been able to make sense of it for those of us that work a relatively normal M-F work schedule.

But that wasn't my primarily point, my point was that if one is looking for an exciting area Ventura is only going to be marginally better than Simi Valley and as a result a poor choice under this measure. There really isn't much to do in Ventura....and its "downtown" is only a few blocks.

Ventura can be a great place for a beach bum, but for someone looking for excitement? Its a poor choice for that... But it doesn't sound like the OP is really looking for an "exciting area", instead an area with coastal weather and a suburban vibe...so in that case Ventura could be a good option if you can mind the commute.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysuzanne View Post
For the past 2 years, I've sacrificed living in a place with other twenty-somethings and things to do during the week for a commute that is around 20 minutes a day. However, I desperately miss living in a place that offers close-by happy hours..
As far as age goes, Simi Valley and Ventura have the same demographics. 9% of Ventura residents are 18~24 compared to 8.9% in Simi Valley. This too is an area where Los Anegeles is going to provide far better options...

Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,593 times
Quote:
Yes and for some it can make sense, but I've never been able to make sense of it for those of us that work a relatively normal M-F work schedule.

But that wasn't my primarily point, my point was that if one is looking for an exciting area Ventura is only going to be marginally better than Simi Valley and as a result a poor choice under this measure. There really isn't much to do in Ventura....and its "downtown" is only a few blocks.

Ventura can be a great place for a beach bum, but for someone looking for excitement? Its a poor choice for that... But it doesn't sound like the OP is really looking for an "exciting area", instead an area with coastal weather and a suburban vibe...so in that case Ventura could be a good option if you can mind the commute.
You may be out of touch with downtown Ventura. The (out and about) demographics changes a few times each day. I am quite sure a 20-something can find what she wants there.

Simi, like Thousand Oaks and Moorpark are very residential and do not have much of a night life. They are very quiet cities. That works well for a lot of people. Downtown Ventura provides an alternative.

I would guess that on a Saturday night, there are more bands playing in downtown Ventura than in Simi, Thousand Oaks, and Moorpark combined.

Ventura itself provides large residential areas and the overall demographics may give a different perspective than just the downtown area.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Simi, like Thousand Oaks and Moorpark are very residential and do not have much of a night life. They are very quiet cities. That works well for a lot of people. Downtown Ventura provides an alternative.
This doesn't make much sense, you are comparing entire cities to a small region of Ventura. Ventura, like the other cities, is also "very residential" and does not have much night life.

As for Downtown Ventura, what exactly does it provide an alternative for? The vast majority of downtown is retail and restaurants. As a whole its not a place for night-life...

Quote:
I would guess that on a Saturday night, there are more bands playing in downtown Ventura than in Simi, Thousand Oaks, and Moorpark combined.
There is only one major music venue in Ventura, namely The Majestic Ventura Theater.

Regardless, like I said previously, Ventura provides a marginal improvement over cities like Simi Valley but compared to Los Angeles its entirely podunk. As a result if someone is searching for "an exciting area"...Ventura can be safely skipped. On the other hand, if someone is searching for a suburban community with a little more night-life than Simi Valley....well than Ventura can fit the bill. This is what the OP seems interested in.

As for the demographics, Downtown is primarily commercial and people throughout the city go there so the city-wide demographics are the relevant number. The area is certainly a magnet for younger residents, but the same can be said of areas throughout Ventura County.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Quote:
This doesn't make much sense, you are comparing entire cities to a small region of Ventura. Ventura, like the other cities, is also "very residential" and does not have much night life.

As for Downtown Ventura, what exactly does it provide an alternative for? The vast majority of downtown is retail and restaurants. As a whole its not a place for night-life...

There is only one major music venue in Ventura, namely The Majestic Ventura Theater.

Regardless, like I said previously, Ventura provides a marginal improvement over cities like Simi Valley but compared to Los Angeles its entirely podunk. As a result if someone is searching for "an exciting area"...Ventura can be safely skipped. On the other hand, if someone is searching for a suburban community with a little more night-life than Simi Valley....well than Ventura can fit the bill. This is what the OP seems interested in.

As for the demographics, Downtown is primarily commercial and people throughout the city go there so the city-wide demographics are the relevant number. The area is certainly a magnet for younger residents, but the same can be said of areas throughout Ventura County.
Downtown Ventura has ethnic restaurants, coffee shops, a movie theater, trendy stores, bars, and night clubs. Downtown Oxnard has ethnic restaurants, coffee shops, and bars and night clubs too. Except that Oxnard's bars and night clubs lean to being Hispanic and salsa.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
I would say that Ventura has a dozen or so places to hit up during the night all within the same area of downtown. As a 20 something or even as a 40 something downtown Ventura is a lot of fun, not to mention many other places.

I would check out the Water Mark, Pangea, The Bombay Bar and Grill for starters on the club scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County