Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 23,692 times

Advertisements

Hello All, my family and I (wife and two 13 y/o daughters) are having a very hard time choosing a place to live in SoCal. We are moving from Texas out to California in 1 month (end March) for a job transfer. I can either work in Burbank and live in the Santa Clarita area (Stevenson Ranch or Valencia) or work and live in Thousand Oaks. Two different jobs but, very very similar so not really playing into the decision.

We have been to both areas a lot! We have looked at homes in both areas. We will be renting a house for 9 months and then purchasing a new home in the area we choose. We love both areas!!

Can you maybe provide us some info on pros and cons of each area. We have been all over these boards reading up on each area as much as possible but, I thought I would post a direct question out here. We really have considered many areas and have narrowed it down to these two areas. What do you think? What area would you choose/why?

What is important to us:
Schools, safe areas, neighborhoods (nice, clean, walkable), commute, dance studios, things to do, etc.

What are your expect opinions?? Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I'd go for Thousand Oaks. Better climate, better demographic, closer to places like Santa Barbara and beyond that SLO and Morro Bay.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 AM

22 posts, read 67,859 times
Take my point of view with several grains of salt: I have visited the area, have yet to move there, but have been researching it a good while in anticipation.
I have settled on Thousand Oaks for the reasons Hillbilly cites, and would add proximity to Ocean, Malibu coast, Ojai, farm stands in Fillmore, etc. But the overriding reason is the climate, especially summer heat.
Check out the highs near Santa Clarita vs TO, especially the frequency of 100+ degree days:
Weather Station History | Weather Underground
Weather Station History | Weather Underground

[You can check out other Wundermap weather stations in the area on your own.
WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground
Click on the temperature circle, then on the weather ID, then on Year, and change the year to 2012 or earlier to get yearly graphs.]

Good luck with your choice, whatever it turns out to be. It would be nice to know what you decide.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
I grew up in Thousand Oaks and still visit family out there. It's a lovely town and I would definitely go with TO over Santa Clarita.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 AM

7 posts, read 22,726 times
I would pick thousand oaks. Living in the same community as you work would be nice. Gas is expensive here, and traffic is an issue everywhere in southern California. Thousand oaks is a good community for raising kids, very family oriented. The weather is also a lot better in the summer because you are closer to the ocean.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM

37 posts, read 88,321 times
Thank you everyone..we decided on Thousand Oaks...so far so good!!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 AM

375 posts, read 610,030 times
From someone who commutes 100 miles a day, take the LOCAL job!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
Valencia is a wonderful, isolated little town. The only con is that there is only one way into or out of it, via I-5.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Valencia is a wonderful, isolated little town. The only con is that there is only one way into or out of it, via I-5.

And the train which isn't available near the Conejo Valley.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And the train which isn't available near the Conejo Valley.
Metro and Amtrak has stops in Moorpark and Camarillo.

Cal Lutheran to Moorpark train station is only 6 miles a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County