Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

If you surf, PH is great when conditions line up. If you don't, it's still good, and you can drive to SS or Oxnard Shores where it might be better, if you don't mind an extra 15-20 minutes to the fwy to get anywhere else. Also the stink of the sewage treatment plants on occasion, also the crime, also the (only in the county) MJ dispensaries.

Wind is problematic unless you have Mugu base access. Otherwise it's going to be dawn patrols and windy beach afternoons.

On the plus side, the beach is UUUGE! And they drained the gross lagoon, so it's just a 1/4 mile of nice yellow sand to the ocean, now. And a few tweakers near the bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 04:17 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
Okay, we're still here in Oregon contemplating our options (husband was ill and we couldn't plan anything).

WHAT ABOUT buying a park model home in a nice RV resort, like Pismo Dunes? It's close to the beach and looks very nice. We've visited resorts like this but never lived in one.

There are other RV parks around in coastal areas so we'll be looking around and welcome suggestions.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:40 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
I'm just going to guess that the $1.4M house you have in Texas is much larger / more palatial than you'd find for that price point in Santa Barbara. If you're ok trading down from a 6,000 sq ft house to something around 1,800 sq ft (possibly needing some work at that), should be fine.

On the other hand, for that $1.4M, your property taxes will be much lower. You should have much lower heating/cooling costs, if your home has AC at all. I'd actually recommend getting it installed if you don't have it. Most homes in SB don't have it but with global warming, there will be more times when that is needed. That said, on a year round basis, you should still save a lot.

I'd recommend NOT buying anything close to a mountain or canyon, due to fire or mudslide risk. Sure, the views are great but its becoming more and more of a risk.

I think if you're ok trading down for a home, you'll be more than fine. You should make sure though you at least have a nice backyard, since you'll be spending a lot more time outdoors.

I love SB and could also see retiring there, but its the type of place you'd want to be if you have already made it (like you have), since its not great for finding a job.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:43 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Okay, we're still here in Oregon contemplating our options (husband was ill and we couldn't plan anything).

WHAT ABOUT buying a park model home in a nice RV resort, like Pismo Dunes? It's close to the beach and looks very nice. We've visited resorts like this but never lived in one.

There are other RV parks around in coastal areas so we'll be looking around and welcome suggestions.
I think you'd have to REALLY like having neighbors and being social. RV's are not known for their soundproofing. There isn't any real privacy and RV parks are theft magnets simply because they're hard to secure, even if they are gated and patrolled.

Also, not owning the land you are parked on is always a losing prospect in California.

However, I do know of a nice mobile home park in Ventura down by the harbor that has a lot of retirees. It is VERY upscale (for a mobile home park) and seems quite nice, so many people are choosing this as an option. You will certainly save a TON of money on the buy-in.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:00 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
However, I do know of a nice mobile home park in Ventura down by the harbor that has a lot of retirees. It is VERY upscale (for a mobile home park) and seems quite nice, so many people are choosing this as an option. You will certainly save a TON of money on the buy-in.
That mobile home park is the most awesome one that I've ever seen in my life. When I lived on my sailboat, the clubhouse was the voting location for the harbor precinct. If I were to retire in California, I would definitely have that park near the top of my list. Very nice homes. Even older models are well kept up. Great landscaping all around. If you enjoy cycling, there is a bike path that cuts through the middle of the agricultural fields that will take you to town for shopping or whatnot. Fantastic weather. I look back on those twelve years when I lived on my boat in the harbor to be some of the best of my life, (so far).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-20-2021, 05:44 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranmkp View Post
Ca sales tax is 7.25% My Texas sale tax is 8%
Sales Tax Breakdown

District.......................Rate
California State Tax 7.250%
Santa Barbara County 0.500%
Santa Barbara 1.000%
Total 8.750%

Does Texas also have local tax added to the state sales tax?

Old 01-26-2021, 03:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Yes, Texas has a local tax added to the state rate of 6.25%. The difference is not just in the rates though. Texas taxes things that CA does not, such as rentals, software and services which can really add up.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:51 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
California has high income taxes; pensions are fully taxed in CA. Special high tax rates for high-income people.

Income tax is a measly 8% if you're not a millionaire, which I'm guessing OP isn't. The highest income bracket pays 13%.

If you look at what Europeans and many Asians pay (35%-65%), that's nothing. Especially when you consider all of the things you have access to such as a variety of natural areas for recreation, cultural amenities, good medical care, good universities, etc.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:42 PM

368 posts, read 365,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Income tax is a measly 8% if you're not a millionaire, which I'm guessing OP isn't. The highest income bracket pays 13%.

If you look at what Europeans and many Asians pay (35%-65%), that's nothing. Especially when you consider all of the things you have access to such as a variety of natural areas for recreation, cultural amenities, good medical care, good universities, etc.
We don't care what Europeans or Asians are paying in taxes. So whats your point?

Old 02-25-2021, 04:18 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
We don't care what Europeans or Asians are paying in taxes. So whats your point?
Speak for yourself. Many people do compare U.S. taxes to those of other countries and are interested and pleased to see how much we get for our lower taxes here in the U.S.

I think that is the point, the very valid point, that apple92680 made.

Original quote by apple92680:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County