Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else been really annoyed with this place? I once made the mistake of shopping there for a compound bow, and dealt with this jerk with a beard and missing a finger (I believe he was the owner) who was just about as snotty as could be. I later found out that this place is the only archery store for quite a distance, so I guess the jerk I talked to can afford to treat customers any way he wants; regardless, I'd rather drive out of my way than visit that place again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
If it's the only one that would explain the tude. I guess this fella hasn't heard about online sales and what he is missing out on by being a jerk. We have 3 and they know the competition.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 23,454 times
Thumbs up Archery Sports - A GREAT place to shop

Was searching around for archery stuff and came across this site and felt the need to post an alternate opinion of Archery Sports and it's owner just to bring a little balance. I've been in the shop and my experience, along with that of many of my club members has been GREAT! Not only was Don, the owner, knowlegeable about bows spanning 30+ years, he gives great discounts, let's you pay stuff off with lay away, he was funny to boot. The only time I see him cranky is when someone comes in who thinks he/she knows more than they really do about archery or hunting and decides to hold forth loudly about it. Not many other shops can beat his prices and he's certainly willing to contemplate matching them if he doesn't already. It's a pity that someone had a bad experience and posted it rather than talking to the owner himself about his/her dissatisfaction. By the way, it's a pro shop so if you want to get a pro bow you absolutely cannot get a new one online... they're only licensed to be sold by pro shops. Check out his web site too... Archery Sports USA...

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Didn't the owners son get a medel in the olympics a few years back?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Nope... not the owners son but we have a fabulous range here in town called Conejo Valley Archers (look them up online) and there was a guy here named Justin H. who made the Olympic team.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Blooded Person View Post
Nope... not the owners son but we have a fabulous range here in town called Conejo Valley Archers (look them up online) and there was a guy here named Justin H. who made the Olympic team.
Thought i read something about that. Thank you for the information. I haven't been involved with archery myself since way back in boy scouts. Still nice to know we had a local guy representing the area.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Every Saturday the range is open to the public from 9-1. For $5 they will give you a bow, arrows and certified instruction. We have many Olympic hopefuls in our club for the next Olympics and just took home a slew of medals from the California State Indoor Championship!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,700 times
I found this thread by doing a search, and thought I'd chime in on this.

I too have not been happy dealing with Don at Archery Sports. Once, years ago, I decided to have a look at his store, in particular I was curious about some of his used bows, and found Don to be obnoxious and something of a know-it-tall, with an attitude that he doesn't really care whether somebody makes a purchase or not. I simply took my business down the road to that place that used to be next to Woodley Park, and found the staff there to be much more courteous and knowledgeable.

At another time I visited Archery Sports, Don was selling a few Bowtech Tomcat's, which at the time were known to have some serious issues. I asked Don about them and he had no idea what I was talking about. Then he just turned his back and acted like I was invisible. That did it for me...I've never been back since.

I suppose that, since the place across from Woodley Park is now gone, Don can continue to be rude to customers, since there are even fewer places to patronize. On the other hand, since I have my own bow press etc. I just do my own thing without any "pro shop", which is nice, particularly when the alternative may be to deal with jerks like Don.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 31,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Blooded Archer View Post
I found this thread by doing a search, and thought I'd chime in on this.
Same here. I was searching for a place to buy a finger tab online when this thread turned up and I had to register just to reply.

I have to side with the "never want to go there, again" camp. Even after spending a LOT of money, in there, which often garners a store's "approval", their customer service (Don's in particular) is some of the worst I've ever experienced. If I'd known, when I first got into archery, I would have happily driven anywhere else, just to avoid this downer of a place. I really try to be nice to everyone and most people seem to like me, but I feel like persona non grata, there and want to get out as quickly as possible. There's ONE younger lady who treats customers warmly and as if they matter; everyone else acts as though they're doing people a favor by helping them.

If you can avoid them, do!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM

13 posts, read 31,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Blooded Person View Post
Archery Sports - A GREAT place to shop

Was searching around for archery stuff and came across this site and felt the need to post an alternate opinion of Archery Sports and it's owner just to bring a little balance. I've been in the shop and my experience, along with that of many of my club members has been GREAT!
Not to be cynical on purpose, but this poster is probably someone that Don respects as an archer, so he treats him/her accordingly.....or it IS Don.

When archery fans get together, naturally the topic turns to archery, equipment and places to shop for it; EVERY single "ordinary" person that I've talked to about Archery Sports has had a very similar experience to mine and expresses disappointment and/or frustration that there's nowhere else to go locally. The expert, competitive and/or "old timer" archers have nothing but good to say about the store. It's as though you have to first earn Don's respect to be treated as though you have any value, at all. It's an odd philosophy for running a small business, to say the least.

Maybe Don's independently wealthy, the store is just his hobby and he really doesn't care if anyone ever buys anything from there.

I totally agree about the club, Conejo Valley Archers, though. It's an outstanding, safety-first group with Olympic-level instructors on-site every Saturday, a great place for the family and one of the best deals in town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County