Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 52,477 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to the LA area soon and have decided to settle in Simi Valley, mostly due to the lower housing prices there, which is still higher than what we're accustomed to. My husband will be working in Calabasas or Westlake Village so we know he'll have a little bit of a commute. A couple of questions though.

Are there any parts of Simi Valley that are "rough" or recommended to stay away from? I'd like to be in an area I feel safe walking around in, possibly even walking to shopping (like the grocery store, not a large mall).

I've also read several posts about there being no middle class around LA. I'm curious, what salary bracket is considered middle class in the area?

When I put in addresses of houses that I've looked at online to get directions to where my husband will be working, it maps the directions to take 118 to 23 to 101. It seems like that takes him a bit out of the way. Would taking side streets/less major roads be possible or is that going to take just as long as taking the major highways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM

853 posts, read 3,813,570 times
Simi Valley is not my taste but is one of the safest cities in the country for its size. The core area hasn't aged that well, but most of the housing in the hills is pleasant and livable. Commutes can be a challenge, and it does get warm there in the summer. Moorpark is a little nicer.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,895 times
Default Simi is a nice town

I tend to agree that the 'edges' of town are better than the center. Not saying the center part is bad, but there are some shady areas. There are some nicer areas in the middle of Simi, but they are surrounded by other areas that are not very nice. You really need to go check it out. Come during different times, to see the 'neighbor' activity at different times of day/ weekends. Simi is a pretty safe city, and I dont hear about too many horrible things happening there, but if it was me, I'd choose an area on the 'edges' of town.

Re: getting to Calabasas or Westlake. Traffic is horrible going from Simi to Thousand Oaks/Westlake no matter what roads you take. There are really only a couple of different routes out of Simi, so you either take the 118 or Olsen Road or Tierra Rejada (going west out of town). Its pretty packed on all three. We have an employee who lives in Wood Ranch (very nice, western most part of Simi) and it takes her about 30-40 minutes to get to Thousand Oaks (which is probably only about 8 miles). Going to Calabasas might be easier because there are alternates, down through the west end of the San Fernando Valley, for instance.

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Traffic is worse than normal on the 23 frwy being of construction but should ease up when completed. Did you know that Simi Valley has been rated one of the safest cities of it's size in the county for years? There is also a large amount of police that live in Simi. Wood Ranch is a nice development but you could find less expensive in the older section. If you go to Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site and put in Simi Valley or the schools you are looking at, it will give you the demographics of the areas, the crime statistics, real estate and school info. It's very helpful. If you have school-age kids there is also greatschools.net. There is a new outdoor shopping mall where the main store is Macy's but has lots of smaller shops and restaurants and is very nice. It is right off the 118 frw and 1st street. Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks for your replies.

We don't have any school age kids so we don't have to worry too much about that part. We had read that Simi was one of the safest cities, but it seems every city has it's own wrong side of the tracks area. (I hope that doesn't offend anyone.) Good suggestion to check out the areas at different times of the day, I'll definitely do that once I'm out there.

Thanks again

Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 PM

114 posts, read 512,195 times
I'll give you my opinion of the shady areas! I've lived here 27 yrs..... lived in East, West, and Central Simi as well!

My vote is to stay North of Alamo St....between Sycamore and Yosemite..... West of Madera and South of Royal is nice too, or East of Kuehner in the Hopetown area (newer- well like 10 yrs old or so).... think thats about all I would recommend..... maybe a few other small pockets.... but for the most part that is what I think is the more desirable!

Less desirable areas, again my opinion..... the area between First St. and Sinaloa Rd. and Los Angeles and Royal Ave.'s. There is more crime in that area. Between Cochran and Los Angeles and Erringer and First St.'s. Basically the central part of town..... if you drive around you will definately get what we are saying!

Simi is a very safe area overall..... you are within 30 mins of anything you cant find in Simi.

Traffic to Westlake and Calabasas will be a pain in the rear for sure though. If he end up in Westlake, I would take Olsen to Erbes, and take the back roads that way. They are widening the 23 freeway, but I have heard thats going to take quite a while to complete(anyone know??). I say a rough commute, but not very horrible! Have you considered Thousand Oaks?

Give us your price range and maybe we can recommend some specific areas for you to look in! I'd be happy to answer any specific ?'s you have.

Good luck to you in your research!

Amy

Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Very detailed info CAtoCO, thanks! We did consider Thousand Oaks but it looks like we can save quite a bit of money if we live in Simi instead. When it comes time to start doing serious looking at houses, I may PM you if that's okay.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,895 times
The older areas of Newbury Park may be another option for you. The drive from Newbury Park to Westlake would only take a couple minutes

Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 PM

114 posts, read 512,195 times
No problem! I would be glad to help however I can...... you may want to email me though..... I am not that great at checking PM! My email is Amyswtpooh@aol.com

Newbury Park isnt a bad idea either! You could take the 101 to Westlake or Calabasas.....but it wouldnt be pretty!!!!

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,066 times
Angry An "honorable" citizen of Simi Valley

A must see !!!!!!!!
Mr Demill draws our city a bad name
Thanks !!!

[url=http://www.germanguns.de/demill/demill.htm]gerald demill[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County