Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times

Advertisements

?????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM

16 posts, read 100,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmmy View Post
Hi,

Westlake Village is very pricey but gorgeous. And Newbury Park High School is the #1 High School EVERYONE wants their kids to go to. That and Moorpark High School. So, also check out MOORPARK and NEWBURY PARK.

Good luck! We are re-locating to AUSTIN we think. Cashing out...

Smiles,
Michele
just wanted to add.....I am a Thousand Oaks High grad.......TOHS, Newbury Park HS and Westlake HS are all part of Conejo valley School district, which is great. All 3 schools are good. One concern I have about NP is the new format they school has taken (well, maybe 10 years ago). They are on block schedule......like college...they take 3 classes one semester, and 3 the next. My sister likes it, but IMO is not prepared for college next year.......too relaxed of a setting. But all those high schools are good. I would also venture to say that I would be okay with my kids attending Camarillo High, Buena, and Ventura, along with Moorpark (a community that has grown considerably in the last 10 years).

Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,495 times
It's all relative. try looking at crime ratios. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
I was born and raised in Oxnard. I've travelled all over the world, and have found Oxnard to always be the sleepiest little town to me. Full of strawberry fields, cabbage patches, beautiful beaches, and palm trees and perfect weather.
Just look at it from space:
oxnard, ca - Google Maps

Every town has their good parts and bad parts. However, people who have something to complain about are usually more vocal than those who are content. Which is a good thing, squeaky wheel and all.

My biggest complaint is that this sleepy little town has very little night life. You have to go to Ventura or Santa Barbara when you want live entertainment.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 AM

13 posts, read 69,596 times
Default Why pick Oxnard?

A woman from Santa Paula called Oxnard, "Where the Sewer Meets the Sea." That was from a fellow Latino, too. Yes, by the ocean there's a string of beach with pricey homes and condos, but you can't easily get from there to the 101 Freeway without going through the rest of town. Overall, Oxnard is a good place to get shot, even right through your walls. Don't even think about it.

With your income, you'll make it anywhere in Ventura County, but I wouldn't waste it renting out here, and putting your kid through any SoCal school systems, which are either near bottom nationwide, or going around that by enrolling him/her in east county (T.O., Moorpark, Camarillo, Westlake) and raising him along with the ignorant snots of this region. 'Lots of USC alumni around here; they don't call it "University of Spoiled Children" for nothing, since despite it's diversity (Class of '90, BTW) it gets its better-than-you attitude from the locals. Then again, if you don't talk to or look at people who pass you on the street, and want your child to grow up as such, 'come on down.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
what r the major gangs in each city? I know of 2 in Oxnard, 1in el rio, 1 in ventura, 1 in simi valley... i know there's more though

Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
what r the major gangs in each city? I know of 2 in Oxnard, 1in el rio, 1 in ventura, 1 in simi valley... i know there's more though
I've got a better set of questions:

1. How many cities in Ventura County have court injunctions to help them not put up with gangs? 1 - Oxnard.

2. Which cities in Ventura County are considering jumping on the bandwagon of the leader and getting injunctions of their own? 4 to my knowledge - Simi, Camarillo, Port Hueneme and Ventura.

3. Which unincorporated County communities recently announced a Sheriff's Office zero-gang-tolerance policy and new gang unit? El Rio and Saticoy.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 AM

6 posts, read 25,644 times
What a shame. I was born at St. Johns Hospital in 1960 and lived in the Oxnard/Ventura area for 30 years. Colonia has always been a rough place. I grew up in the El Rio area, went to Rio Mesa High school and we didn't have problems. Now I here it is gang haven. Ventura is still nice, just don't live in the Avenue area. My mom worked in the Saticoy post office when it was the size of my bedroom, my things have changed!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:44 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampsaof View Post
What a shame. I was born at St. Johns Hospital in 1960 and lived in the Oxnard/Ventura area for 30 years. Colonia has always been a rough place. I grew up in the El Rio area, went to Rio Mesa High school and we didn't have problems. Now I here it is gang haven. Ventura is still nice, just don't live in the Avenue area. My mom worked in the Saticoy post office when it was the size of my bedroom, my things have changed!!!
I was born in that same hospital.

But, can anyone answer my question....what gangs r in each city?

La Colonia Chicques (Barrios) r in eastside Oxnard, but what's the westside called again? The locos?

El Rio and Saticoy have a big gang, but I don't remember the names.

Santa Paula's gang is called the Crimies.

Ventura has the avenues.

Simi Valley has the varrios.

And im not sure what gangs port hueneme, camarillo, or thousan oaks have. I'm guessing since I don't know, they have the minor gang issues.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I was born in that same hospital.

But, can anyone answer my question....what gangs r in each city?

La Colonia Chicques (Barrios) r in eastside Oxnard, but what's the westside called again? The locos?

El Rio and Saticoy have a big gang, but I don't remember the names.

Santa Paula's gang is called the Crimies.

Ventura has the avenues.

Simi Valley has the varrios.

And im not sure what gangs port hueneme, camarillo, or thousan oaks have. I'm guessing since I don't know, they have the minor gang issues.
Why are you so interested in gangs?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Look at Thousand Oaks, Agoura, Westlake, Westlake Village.
Oak Park, Newbury Park. Much better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County