Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 AM

20 posts, read 44,274 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to CA for my next role at work which would be in Oxnard, CA. I am from NE and have lived in Cincinnati and Boston for work thus far. I am curious as to what Oxnard/surrounding areas would have to offer a single guy in his mid/late 20's? How far down the coast would I be able to live (closer to LA area) Without having a commute over 45 minutes? Is the traffic that rough at 6am? I enjoy good nightlife, would love to live on the coast, and prefer to not have a nightmare commute.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Just to get from one end of Oxnard to the other would take you 20 minutes. So it may depent on where you are working. If you are working on the south side or Point Mugu you could live in Santa Monica and make the commute up the Pacific Coast Highway,(PCH) and maybe make that 45 minute comute time.

Then again the area does have a small club scene. In Oxnard their is Ruby's. More of a Latin theme and chances are many of the clubers will also be of Latin descent.

My favorite is The Bombay Bar and Grill in Ventura. They have 2 dance floors and on the weekends can have 400 or 500 people. Usually a band in the front and a DJ in the back. Place features Ventura County's longest bar.

If you were not a fan of Proposition 8 you could head over to Paddy's and hang out with my brother. If you are cute he may buy you a drink, if you get my meaning.

The Main Street area of Ventura features some cool places to eat, drink, and hang out. Winchesters is cool. I think they have over 60 brews on tap. Not any dancing going on but a good scene. Dargon's is another place to get a drink fix, especially for someone in their 20's or 30's.

Most of the local club scene will be in Ventura. Although I live in Oxnard that is where we go for fun.

Santa Barbara is just up the coast and also has a nice club scene going on. And to the south from the 101 is Universal City Walk with some clubs. Also if you drive into Century City not too far from UCLA is the Century Club. All these places aren't too far from Oxnard, or within an hour away.

Coastal living in Oxnard, Port Hueneme, or Ventura would be much cheaper than the LA area and it still offers a scene that you may like. Check it our before you discount it for the LA area.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM

20 posts, read 44,274 times
Thanks. I had written off the Oxnard area in hopes of getting down the shore a bit, but it sounds like I should check out the scene up there as well.
Isn't Malibu halfway between Oxnard and Santa Monica? Is it feasible to get something decent there, a 1 or 2 bed bachelor pad for around 2500 a month?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I just checked on Realtor.com and looks like you can get a 1 bedroom in Malibu for around $1,800 or so. maybe less if you check. That should be within your budget. Not sure on the view of those places because much of malibu is in canyons and hillsides that may or maynot have an ocean view. Chances are I would look to Malibu also if it fits in with your lifestyle. Oxnard and Ventura are nice but Malibu is so much more fun to write home about. Just for fun I checked and the rental range in Malibu is between $1,500 - $300,000 a month.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Camarillo is nice too. You can take the 101 or PCH to get into Santa Monica etc... It's a bit of a haul though. If you live in Camarillo and work in Oxnard, you won't have to deal with going up and down the Conejo Grade.

As said before, downtown Ventura is cool The El Rey is a hip little spot. Winchesters have some ok beer. There are some other places too. There is now also an El Rey in Camarillo.

I lived here in Camarillo: http://universityglencorp.csuci.edu/ I loved it!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
For reference, I went to Bombay's Bar two weeks ago and I had a fabulous time! I'm 33 and the DJ was ok in the back but the live band in the front was great!!!! I live in Oxnard by the way!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
You should make a point of checking out Eric Ericssons too.

Eric Ericssons on the Pier Ventura CA 805 643-4783

I would probably recommend that you stay in the Ventura/Oxnard area. I've made the drive from Oxnard to Malibu many times and I think, while beautiful, it would get tiring for a daily commute. I would guess that $2500 in Malibu and $2500 in Ventura would be vastly different. There are a few places to hang out in Malibu, but I would think that many people there would head into Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/West Hollywood for any nightlife.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrod89 View Post
I am considering moving to CA for my next role at work which would be in Oxnard, CA. I am from NE and have lived in Cincinnati and Boston for work thus far. I am curious as to what Oxnard/surrounding areas would have to offer a single guy in his mid/late 20's? How far down the coast would I be able to live (closer to LA area) Without having a commute over 45 minutes? Is the traffic that rough at 6am? I enjoy good nightlife, would love to live on the coast, and prefer to not have a nightmare commute.
Thoughts?
There is no good nightlife in Oxnard or anywhere else in Ventura in my opinion especially if you are use to city life. I know bars close up early in parts of NE but at least there is variety. Ventura and Oxnard are sleepy bedroom communities with the rare bar that has entertainment or excitement. Santa Barbara might be a little more lively do to the college scene but not much more. The Valley is boring as well. You really have to head over the hill to the Hollywood area for any decent clubs and night life.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
Check out Ventura and Santa Barbara. I am 25 and love Ventura. If I could get a job around there, I would consider staying in Socal because I love it there that much. It is a beach town and a bit sleepy, but there are a lot of bars, cafes, and places with live music. It is probably my favorite beach town in the US to be honest.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
There is no good nightlife in Oxnard or anywhere else in Ventura in my opinion especially if you are use to city life. I know bars close up early in parts of NE but at least there is variety. Ventura and Oxnard are sleepy bedroom communities with the rare bar that has entertainment or excitement. Santa Barbara might be a little more lively do to the college scene but not much more. The Valley is boring as well. You really have to head over the hill to the Hollywood area for any decent clubs and night life.
Hi Osuzana!!! I think it depends on what your idea of nightlife is....I already kinda feel I'm too old for the club scene being 33 but I enjoy going out to shake my leg every now and then. Just last night (Sunday night at that!), I was doing salsa at Capistrano's at the Embassy Suites Mandalay Bay. It's free on Sundays (one drink minimum but I didn't buy one).

I also enjoy going to hear live music but down in Sherman Oaks and other places in the valley. I don't care for the Hollywood club scene cause it's more than I care to drive.

Being that I am originally from Memphis, Tennessee, I have not found any clubs that are like the clubs I am used to i.e. those closing down at 6am and stuff like that but California is different and if a person's goal is to meet people, they can do just that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County