Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM

28 posts, read 64,815 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted to Brooks institute in Ventura for film. I have spoken with admissions reps there and taken a look at their website. Since I currently live in NY I am un-able to visit their campus. They are pretty expensive. $80,000 for 3yrs. I will have to rely on loans, grants and scholarship money. I have a spouse who can help with the bills.

Has anyone here gone there, knows someone who went there, or can give me some leads on other schools they would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelynnA View Post
I have been accepted to Brooks institute in Ventura for film.
They are pretty expensive. $80,000 for 3yrs.
I will have to rely on loans, grants and scholarship money. I have a spouse who can help with the bills.
Just out of curiosity, what is your spouse's comfort level for this undertaking?

Is he
"Go for it!"
or
"Eighty grand, Are you crazy?"

Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 PM

28 posts, read 64,815 times
Default Amazing support!!

He is totally go for it!! Although he did say that if I can't find all the financial aid that we would need that I should consider using my associates degrees I all ready have (Photography and Design) to work as a free agent for awhile and save up a bit of money. He has a degree in recording tech. so he can also easily find work. The only concern that I have is when I was 18 and I'm 25 now I had a car repossessed so I'm not to sure if my credit is still affected by it. Other than that, I know that with hard work and determination, coupled with having each other and staying focused, we should be fine. I mean hard work pays off no matter where you are, even if it's a city like Ventura, No?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
I think there has been another thread or two on Brooks here.
Personally speaking, I would hate to get saddled with $80K in bad economic times.
I would befriend a professional photographer and become an unofficial apprentice. When I lived in Santa Barbara, I knew a few and think they wouldn't have minded sharing knowledge of their trade. Like anything else, it's who you know.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Reality check: Brooks has been in trouble with the State before. Your friend will NOT "find work easily" as a recording tech, especially in Ventura. Talk to the school. Get contact info from them of recent graduates who are working and will recommend the school. What is their placement rate? Earnings? DON'T let yourself be steamrollered by an aggressive "counselor" (AKA:salesperson) . These private schools are ruthless and once you sign the contract you are STUCK. Consider living here for a year, so you can go to one of the many public schools with similar programs,rather than taking on $80K in debt.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I used to work on the campus 12 years ago. This is the former Mills Elementary school campus in an old oil industry land area not too far from a now closed oil refinery. The land in the area is beautifull sitting between two hillsides and just east of a river. The area has a lot of out door things to do around the area or within a short drive. Before Brooks opened their film school there the grounds were used for the Santa Ventura Studios. They filmed first run syndication shows, or shows that you didn't see on the big networks. "High Tide" staring Rick Springfield was the first show filmed in the area with the campus as its base of operation. "Mike Hammer PI" was another show featuring Stacy Keich as the lead. "Air America" was the last show that I worked on at the studio before I started working for Community Memorial Hospital where I work now.

I liked working out there before Santa Ventura Studios left and Brooks took over the place. I am not familiar with Brooks but am a little with the industry. If you are paying them $80,000 for an education what is the payoff to you? What do you see as a way to pay that money back? Have you looked at USC Film school? I know of more people that have attended USC that are making it in the business. Also at USC many of the instructors are recognized industry vets. Meaning your instructor or visiting instructor is someone you have heard of. The school is also pricey but the value I would believe is far greater than what you will get out of Brooks.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I just checked on the University of Southern California Film school cost per semester.

To attend USC for one sememster is just under $20,000 or $40,000 a year. You could attend a Junior College majoring in film and trasfer to USC to complete your last 2 years of the program. That would put you at $80,000 for the 2 years at USC. People you would meet as instructors or visiting speakers are people like Ron Howard, Stephen Spielburg, and plenty others that have attended the school. You could end up with some amazing contacts after completing the program. Isn't that what this is all about is making contacts? After you have that degree you want to be able to sell your services to those in the industry. Wouldn't it be so much better to have met the people you are trying to sell to? If you can't make the contacts that will get you in the door after you graduate then how much is that Brooks degree going to be worth?

I don't know all that much about the school other than I have read in the paper about problems that they have had. I have never read anything bad about USC film school.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,372 times
I worked in admissions at Brooks. They are a good school but too expensive and they teach things you wil never need to know. The Art Institute schools are abetter deal and easier to get scholarships.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Brooks Institute is the only college campus in the nation to offer a film degree and certificate program on an actual former movie studio location. You have access and training to the same type of equipment you will be using in the industry. Brooks is known for their hands on approach to teaching, by former USC professors and actual working film makers today. I love the program here and the training I’m receiving is worth every penny. It's not easy, but I feel challenged and confident in what I’m being taught is exactly what I was looking for in a film program. It all depends on what you are looking for – the traditional college experience or a hands on highly creative collaborative environment.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Write when you get work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County