Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,566 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I am living in NY right now, and I recently got a job in stowe. I've been looking for an apartment in Vermont, and found out living in Stowe is very expensive.
Since I really like burlington, I start considering living in there. I know it will be 45 min driving from Burlington to stowe.....I don't really mind 45 min drive though, my only concern is during the winter. Since I have to use interstate going to Stowe, and I have no idea about how's the road like during the winter....do you think living in Burlington and working in Stowe will be a good idea? do you think it will work?

If you had any advice, please let me know.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
It's a long drive, and definitely will be longer in winter. 89 can get real nasty in the snow. You'll also need to factor in the tourist traffic, 100 can get backed up real good and that will add time as well. Another thing to consider is where in Stowe you will be working - if you're on the mountain, you can add another 10-15 minutes to the commute.

Would you consider Waterbury as a compromise? It's not as expensive as Stowe and only 30 minutes to Burlington...

Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
It wouldn't be a good idea. I work in stowe and one of my coworkers used to live in Burlington. It was ok in the summer, but it was a nightmare in the winter, especially when he had to work at night and go home on snow-covered roads. What you'd save in rent, you'd spend it gas.

One of my young coworkers now lives in Johnson (about 15 minutes north of Stowe). He likes the college vibe of the town and his rent is cheaper than it would be in Stowe or Burlington.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
The interstate is what I would consider the easy part of the drive. Once off 89 you have to deal with tourist traffic (fall time is by far the worst). Rent in Burlington is just as expensive as Stowe. On top of that the fuel expense will make it more expensive to live in Burlington even if you found an inexpensive place. I agree with the Waterbury idea.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 PM

12 posts, read 30,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The interstate is what I would consider the easy part of the drive.
I agree! I don't think you'll be able to find housing that will help you save too much money. One of my friends worked in Stowe and lived in Burlington, but it was pretty short-lived because it became a pain in the fall and winter. I third the Waterbury idea, have you considered that?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:10 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
No way would Burlington work. Waterbury Center, Waterbury, Morrisville, and Johnson would be the choices - in roughly that order.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM

274 posts, read 673,621 times
Hmmm...I don't know...I work with two people in downtown Burlington who live in Stowe and they say it is fine. They've done it for a couple years.

Waterburt is nice though!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
Hmmm...I don't know...I work with two people in downtown Burlington who live in Stowe and they say it is fine. They've done it for a couple years.

Waterburt is nice though!
I work with several people who do the same commute. Several things work in your favor living in Waturbury or Stowe. One is the direction of traffic flow. The flow of traffic can be heavy going into Stowe or my wife likes to call them Sunday drivers because they drive so darn slow and have their eyes on the side of the road more than the road itself. The other factor is early commute times. Our shifts at the hospital begin at 0700 and most of the commuters at the hospital in that area are on the road by 0530. The main reason people travel from Waterbury to Burlington for example, is because it is more affordable than Chittenden county, not really the opposite. Also, as stated already the cost of fuel, wear and tear on your car, increased maintenance and higher insurance premium for a longer commute time would far make living in Burlington more expensive.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 PM

50 posts, read 187,035 times
My husband used to work at Trapp Family Lodge and we live in Colchester. It was awful especially since he sometimes would be driving home at 11pm. Rt. 108 from Stowe to Waterbury took forever and the interstate was hazardous alot as well especially in the Richmond area.

I think Waterbury is a great choice- there are a lot of young people in town and it's got a good vibe to it. Plus, it's close enough to Burlington to make it very accessible on your days off.
I went to Johnson State College and grew up in that area. Johnson could be a good choice in terms of rent but I wouldn't want to live there as an adult. I think it's really isolated and there's not alot (IMO) to do around there.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 AM

32 posts, read 78,475 times
In Winter, that can be one of the nastiest commutes in the state. have you thought about Montpelier, Middlesex, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont