Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Poultney River sounds like an interesting paddle. Did you put in near West Haven?

Yes, we think so. It will take more Google Map gazing to know for sure.

Quote:
Yesterday we decided to be more adventurous and go over to Lake George. We used the free ferry at the bridge which worked great.

We paddled the Northwest Passage which drains into Nortwest Bay...I grew up on the bay.

I think I'd enjoy the ferry. The bay sounds like a treat to paddle -- and a lovely place to grow up. About how much paddling can you do there, in terms of hours? I'm wondering if it's worth our heading over that way but not if it's just a short paddle.

Quote:
I got a used camera thru Ebay so here are some pics.
Whew! Was jonesing for more of your pics, and I'm probably not the only one. They're beautiful, of course.

Late Wednesday afternoon we had time for a shortish paddle on Chittenden Reservoir. On the far shore we found friends who had paddled over and sprawled on giant boulders. A dozen people were there and at least that many more were expected. They invited us to stay for cocktails, a cookout, and meteor shower viewing, which was a lovely offer, but we were not up for it. Here are some of the partiers:

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 08-13-2010 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM

Default QUESTION: Put-in/take-out & comments on Otter Creek in Brandon

We're considering paddling Otter Creek from Brandon north toward Whiting. But we haven't scouted it out so we're hoping someone who's been there can comment so we make the drive with multiple cars only if it's possible.

Heading west on Route 73 out of Brandon, does anyone know if it's possible to park and put in where 73 first meets Otter Creek? AND can you park and take out in Leicester/Whiting (can't quite tell which) where Lower Bullock Road meets Old Jerusalem Road? And hey, is this stretch of Otter Creek navigable by kayak? We don't mind some portage but aren't really equipped for shooting rapids.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 PM

I retract my questions about Otter Creek. We got the answers from a friend who recommended this book, which we're going to get:

Canoe Camping Vermont and New Hampshire Rivers (A Guide to 600 Miles of Rivers for a Day, Weekend, or Week of Canoeing)
by Roioli Schweike

Amazon.com: Canoe Camping Vermont and New Hampshire Rivers: A Guide to 600 Miles…

Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 PM

Default Ducks of Kent Pond, Killington

The ducks were especially adorable and friendly on our Kent Pond paddle today. Some followed our boat around in the water. Some waddled right up to us on shore. (I hope people aren't feeding them but fear they are.) They're good company, these ducks. Made our whole afternoon seem sweeter.
Attached Thumbnails
Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-081910-ducks-kent-pond5.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-081910-ducks-kent-pond2.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-081910-ducks-kent-pond4.jpg  

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Paddled Harveys Lake just north of Mosquitoville in Barnet. It's one of Vermont's deepest lakes(150') and it's claim to fame is that in 1920 Jacques Cousteau learned to swim there when his family was on holiday from living in NY.

Another beautiful day with some threatning clouds in the afternoon but no rain. Not as built up as other lakes and no speedboats were on the lake when we were there. There was an interesting side channel which we checked out and we paddled in this winding waterway until we hit the Peacham Brook spillway.

Took a break on the public beach in West Barnet Village, which is right on the lake and encountered some ducks who were very curious and fearless of humans as well. A highlight for the day was a stop in Wells River at the P&H Truckstop for some of their famous pies. I had a slice of maple cream pie and my friend had a slice of banana cream. He also bought a whole Boston Cream Pie.

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harveyduck1.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvyloon1.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylkfrog1.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake2dark_lite_.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake4dark_lite_.jpg  

Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake8dark_lite_.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake9dark_lite_.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake10.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake1dark_lite_.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake12dark_lite_.jpg  

Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-harvylake6.jpg  

Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM

MRVphotog, fantastic photos, as always! I especially love the duck butt and the boat "garage." Heck, they're all great. Thanks for posting.

Last Saturday we joined a friend for her second paddle ever. Ludlow's Reservoir Pond offers easy access & relaxing paddling for newbies. Our friend bought her *** with space for her dog in mind, as they're inseparable (he's a gem who's a Gulf Coast hurricane rescue with extreme separation anxiety; he's learning to relax around water).

Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Well, it's too windy for kayaking this weekend. We took looooong waaalks instead. Most pleasant. I feel like I can go outside again! Great sleeping weather, too.

I'm looking forward to fall kayaking I don't mind cold weather a bit. I would like to know which water bodies will be full enough for comfortable yakking. We've already learned of a few that, due to algae blooms and falling water levels through the summer, are really best paddled in May. I think Lake Ninevah and Reservoir Pond will be fine in fall.

Other suggestions?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Two weeks ago we paddled the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge. This is an amazing place, only saw one other boater other than the ranger the whole day. Since we had to put in at Louies Landing we knew we did not have anough time to paddle all the way up to Shad Island which has one of the largest Great Blue Rookerys in the northeast. We saw many on the way up plus a rare sighting of a pair of White Egrets. After Sept 5th, the upper put in is open for a shorter paddle to Shad. This waterway is only a few miles from the Canadian border....we wondered what would happen if we paddled in Canada....lol

Last week we chose a lake pretty close to Sherylcatmoms area, Lake St Catherine. Nice lake but pretty busy with motorboats, pretty developed, especially the eastside. To be honest I wouldn't mind having a nice little place on any Vermont lake. Lake St Catherine had a couple of the biggest mcmansions we had seen so far. The water seemed very clean.

Here are some pics...first 7 are Missisquoi, last 6 are St Catherine. I even got a couple of shots of a Herons flying but not very good ones. The one Heron was the only wildlife we saw on St Catherine.
Attached Thumbnails
Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref1.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref2.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref4.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref7.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref8.jpg  

Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref10.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-misiref12.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-stcath1.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-stcath2.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-stcath6.jpg  

Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-stcath5.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-lkstcathrn205.jpg   Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County-stcath8.jpg  

Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,400 times
I've really enjoyed this thread & will definitely check out some of these places. The pictures are great! Love the one of the loon on Harvey's Lake.
My favorite place to kayak is Grafton Ponds in New Hampshire. It would be a trip from Rutland, but I think it would be worth it.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
My favorite place to kayak is Grafton Ponds in New Hampshire. It would be a trip from Rutland, but I think it would be worth it.

Thank you! The photos I'm finding online of Grafton Pond are beautiful. Looks like about a 90-minute drive from Rutland. Very doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont