Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM

986 posts, read 2,340,624 times

Advertisements

Gonna be up in Waitsfield/Warren with my wife for the weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things we should do or where to eat. We're primarily gonna be relaxing, and were thinking about a round of disc golf at Sugarbush. The course at the top of the lift looks cool.

Since it looks as though it might rain, any suggestions for indoor activities? I think we also want to go apple picking if there's an orchard nearby (though I think it's it's early in the season still).

We're staying at the White Horse Inn, if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Gonna be up in Waitsfield/Warren with my wife for the weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things we should do or where to eat. We're primarily gonna be relaxing, and were thinking about a round of disc golf at Sugarbush. The course at the top of the lift looks cool.

Since it looks as though it might rain, any suggestions for indoor activities? I think we also want to go apple picking if there's an orchard nearby (though I think it's it's early in the season still).

We're staying at the White Horse Inn, if that matters.
The upper disc golf course is very hard and very physically demanding. I played it a few weeks ago and lost all 3 disc I brought with me.
You might consider the lower course first. We will give you all the info when you come into the shop in Gatehouse.

For places to eat the original American Flatbread pizza place is a good one. Common Man and Timbers are kinda expensive but very good.

For a rainy day you should drive up and take the tour at Ben & Jerrys and check out the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Several art galleries are in the area, a ride up to Montpelier and then up to Morse Farm for a maple creamee.

Just saw that the White Horse is up for sale, BTW they just painted it red, if you like the place you can buy it....

Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
The Mad River Valley Craft Fair is about 5 miles from WHI and it's under a big tent if it rains, with some outside vendors as well. It's the 40th anniversary, so the first 40 people get in free! (but tickets are just a few bucks in any case.)

SHARC at Sugarbush has indoor tennis and pools, and a rock climbing wall that's pretty fun.

The Vermont Festival of the Arts exhibits at Big Red Barn (Flatbread) and the Photo Show in the Round Barn, and at other galleries and shops around town have an eclectic mix of art!

Green Mountain Stage Race has 500-700 elite racers biking up the Appalachian Gap this weekend, and can be fun to watch!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The upper disc golf course is very hard and very physically demanding. I played it a few weeks ago and lost all 3 disc I brought with me.
You might consider the lower course first. We will give you all the info when you come into the shop in Gatehouse.

For places to eat the original American Flatbread pizza place is a good one. Common Man and Timbers are kinda expensive but very good.

For a rainy day you should drive up and take the tour at Ben & Jerrys and check out the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Several art galleries are in the area, a ride up to Montpelier and then up to Morse Farm for a maple creamee.

Just saw that the White Horse is up for sale, BTW they just painted it red, if you like the place you can buy it....
How difficult is the lower course? I have a feeling my wife wouldn't like anything physically demanding.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,906,661 times
hey cool, we will be in the area also.

If you are up for a drive (I think you said you are into beer!) , you could go check out Rock art brewery in Morristown or Otter Creek in Middlebury (haven't checked out either myself). I think you were the one who mentioned the "passport" actually so you know all about that! Lawson's is actually IN Warren but they do not do tours.

I am volunteering at the stage race on Sunday, and we'll be up tomorrow AM. We are going to try to make it to the Waitsfield farmers market that is 10am-1pm right in the center of town.

We have a 1 month old with us so wondering where to eat that is pretty casual but good?? American Flatbread is always on the list (we have mastered the wait by showing up at 4pm to put our name on the list) as is Easy Street for lunch. Haven't tried their breakfast yet.

We wanted to try the Farmers diner on the way home.

If it is warm there's a a lot of great swimming holes but this is the only one I can think off of hand
Warren Falls - Waterfalls of the Northeastern United States

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,847,565 times
The lower(base course) entails alittle bit of hiking but not nearly as much as the peak course. Everyone has alot of fun playing it.

Being a tourist area all the restaurants are family friendly. The Hyde-Away is a fun place. The deli at the Warren Store makes great sandwiches and their breakfast burritos are legendary. It's also the only place you can buy Lawson's beer if they are not sold out. He recently won an international beer contest, it's very tasty stuff.

As mentioned the craft fair is happening this weekend and the Farmers Market in Waitsfield is Sat morning. If you like art the two shows are great plus I have some of my work at the Green Mountain Photography Show in the Round Barn.

The Famers Diner in Barre is awesome.

I'm in the Adventure Gear Shop all weekend so stop in and say hi.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM

cool thanks!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The Famers Diner in Barre is awesome.

It is awesome. The Barre location closed up a few years back. It's in Quechee and Middlebury:

Farmers Diner - Locally Produced in Vermont!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM

any good breakfast on 100 going south before or at killington?

btw we really liked breakfast at hostel tevere in warren.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM

we were surprised to see egans closed..is that permanent ?

btw also how's the internet access/speed here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont