Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 AM

5 posts, read 9,980 times

Advertisements

Can anyone speak to the differences between the two areas? And more specifically which town in MRV? We're looking for a larger piece of land, nice community, good schools for our 3 young girls. We've been there, but haven't lived there and would love to hear the opinions of some who have or do currently live in those areas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,011 times
Both areas are tourist/resort communities with lots and lots of visitors and second home owners. Is that the type of community you are looking for? What about work?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,980 times
Regarding work, I am planning on returning to making musical instruments, so that can happen anywhere. I was thinking it would be nice to be close to skiing and mountains. For the same reason that many people have second homes, much of my family and many friends would visit twice as often if there was great skiing.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,966,877 times
We have a place in Stowe and it is definitely very touristy...but there is a pretty strong community as well. Not sure if it's AS strong a community as a non-touristy town though. It is really pricey; just from looking at the listings and taxes I believe the MRV is more reasonable for COL, and you can definitely get more for your money. Trying to buy a few acres in Stowe will run you at least $200K; we've seen nice lots in the MRV in Waitsfield for half that...

Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
There is a considerable difference, but some of it is hard to describe. If you plan on a retail shop, Stowe would have more traffic and a wealthier customer base. If you are looking for a slightly more low-key environment for your family, Warren or Moretown more likely fits. Hardwood Union is in Moretown. It used to be an excellent high school, but a year or two back I looked at the course line-up and wasn't impressed. Stowe had decent schools as well, IIRC.

With the lay of the land, Stowe gets more winter sun and has a more "open" feel. The valley is "cozy". Both areas have lots of crafts and handworkers. You might contact the Vt Council on the Arts for some targeted feedback.

In your shoes, I would look along route 100 in Waterbury Center (the community). That might give you the possibility of a shop/store.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,966,877 times
That's actually a great idea - nice little shops in Waterbury Center, or even downtown Waterbury...and then you'd be between both areas for skiing!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 59,304 times
Close to mountains ? That can be anywhere in Vermont. If it was one thing Vermont has is a lot of mountains, trees and water.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 PM

986 posts, read 2,336,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMountainMan View Post
Close to mountains ? That can be anywhere in Vermont. If it was one thing Vermont has is a lot of mountains, trees and water.
He mentioned skiing, which isn't everywhere. Stowe and the MRV offer good proximity to lots of good skiing.

How about Waterbury? It's pretty much in between Stowe and the MRV and you'd be right off 89. So not far from skiing in either direction and you can get where you need to quite easily.

In my experience, Stowe is far more touristy/resorty than the Mad River Valley and sees a bit more traffic.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM

190 posts, read 653,173 times
I think that Stowe and Waterbury would both be a good fit for you. They both have great stores, things to do, community resources, etc. My problem with the MRV, despite its incredible beauty and peaceful atmosphere, is that it lacks basic necessities. Where will your girls buy their clothes once they get older? What will they do for fun once they are teenagers? What if there's an emergency and you need an ambulance (God forbid)? In the summer the population is transient and in the winter the area is very quiet. Personally, I would not want to deal with rude and obnoxious tourists in the summer and then the harsh winter roads later in the year.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,832,798 times
Stowe and the MRV are busy in the summer, especially Stowe, busier in the winter and busy in the fall. Here in the MRV there are no traffic lights or big box stores so there is a trade-off when you live in any rural location. On the clothing type of thing we do have to go to Mountpeculiar or Burlington but that's okay. Locals are very outdoor orientated and so are the kids. We have our own telephone/cable company which is a nice positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont