Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 18,554 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I managed to land a job in Burlington and will be moving in a few weeks. Looking around at possible neighborhoods and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the "hero" islands? - Specifically South Hero.

Any pros or cons for living on the islands? I like that it is within 30 mins of Burlington but you can get cheaper houses than in Burlington.

I see that the High School is "Choice"? Does that mean you can send your kids to some of the better schools in the area?

My daughter is only 9 months old, but we are looking to move into a good school district (Shelburne, Charlotte -like) but without the $400 - 500 price tags.

Like the idea of island living...but wondering what the realities are of island living. Any insight anyone has would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
We lived in Grand Isle for 18 months. The commute is easy and it's very pleasant living out there. My only suggestion is to try not to live on Route 2, it's very busy, especially in the summer months. One of the cons we found was having to travel into Burlington to do grocery shopping (Milton Hannaford is very unpleasant), but all in all it's a nice country area to live in.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM

32 posts, read 78,475 times
the islands are quite a commute to Burlington, relatively speaking. it has been getting wired for cable so internet access is improving. commuting across sand bar bridge in winter can be dicey. how about Milton or Colchester?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
You should be able to find more affordable housing in the nicer sections of Milton or in the town of Colchester. Your commute time would only be about ten to twenty (max) in one of these two towns. Things may have changed in the past few years, but when we were looking for a house, South Hero was an area we looked at and the homes were more expensive.
The islands can have a lot of wind during the winter as well.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSully76 View Post
the islands are quite a commute to Burlington, relatively speaking. it has been getting wired for cable so internet access is improving. commuting across sand bar bridge in winter can be dicey. how about Milton or Colchester?
I commuted across the sandbar with no issues ever. The commute time from Grand Isle, which is further away from South Hero was 35 minutes.

Comcast have service out there since last December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont