Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 AM

986 posts, read 2,339,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Pot is the number one cash crop in the state. Is there violence involved? I could not tell you, but the issue is not what is or is not grown here. Are the gangs as bad as NY or LA? No. Are they in the state? If anyone thinks they are not here, they are living in the clouds. The misconception is they make their presece known. This is far from the truth. they want to go under the radar. Their main goal is selling drugs and making money. Look at the big arrests in Burlington, Rutland or St Albans in the past several years. Most are from NY or Boston with gang ties. They are not here to look at the foilage.
The problem was so big in Rutland with the Latin Kings, the city of Rutland started a gang task force. The only time you will ever see gang members killing and shooting one another is when it becomes territorial. The midwest is the perfect example of how gangs operate in rural areas. You can't look at NY, LA or any other city as an example.
But are gangs a problem if they're not hurting anyone but themselves? In selling drugs, they're only filling a void. They wouldn't be there if (a) people didn't want the drugs to begin with or (b) people had other, safer, easier, more legal means to get said drugs. The problem is not the gangs. The problem is the drug laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM

18,363 posts, read 26,571,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
But are gangs a problem if they're not hurting anyone but themselves? In selling drugs, they're only filling a void. They wouldn't be there if (a) people didn't want the drugs to begin with or (b) people had other, safer, easier, more legal means to get said drugs. The problem is not the gangs. The problem is the drug laws.
I don't know, someone was beaten so severely at the local price chopper by "youths" he was sent to Dartmouth IIRC...I'm willing tow ager those are the gang members I've seen hanging out down there...

If the gangs are not fought they will get worse. They're violent by their nature. It isn't some young dumb local growing pot plants in his backyard and selling them to a few people...

I'd support legalizing the drugs but the feds won't even let us grow commercial hemp so I'm not holding my breath just yet on it...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't know, someone was beaten so severely at the local price chopper by "youths" he was sent to Dartmouth IIRC...I'm willing tow ager those are the gang members I've seen hanging out down there...

If the gangs are not fought they will get worse. They're violent by their nature. It isn't some young dumb local growing pot plants in his backyard and selling them to a few people...

I'd support legalizing the drugs but the feds won't even let us grow commercial hemp so I'm not holding my breath just yet on it...
I'm waiting to see what happens in CA.

Most violent crimes that happen anywhere are targeted and not random. There's always going to be a few outliers. I'm not saying gangs aren't a problem, but the main reason they're there is to meet the needs of regular citizens who just want the drugs.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,972,796 times
I think the problems start when rival gangs start over-reaching into other territories...that's the issue in the big cities...while I don't think things would ever get as bad in VT as NY, I can definitely see it escalating. If there is money to be made, other gangs will follow and then the violence begins...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I think the problems start when rival gangs start over-reaching into other territories...that's the issue in the big cities...while I don't think things would ever get as bad in VT as NY, I can definitely see it escalating. If there is money to be made, other gangs will follow and then the violence begins...
That's the thing. Because of the small spread out population of VT, they're not going to spend a ton of time and energy. I don't think you'll see a surge in gang activity like you do in big cities.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,759,444 times
I was scrolling down the cd forum list when I came across this thread and had to laugh myself. I know that drugs and gangs can occur anywhere but its just funny to think of it in beautiful Vermont. All I can imagine is gangs fighting over who is smuggling in illegal maple syrup and who can not encroach on the white powdery slopes during ski season.

I do hope that in your communities that you take an active part to nip it in the bud by voicing your concerns and making it known.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
There are other crimes that spring up with drug or gang activity. So in fact they not only hurt themselves, but they hurt family and the community. When the Latin Kings landed in Rutland, crime went up. The Fed and several state police agencies gave assistance to help with the problem. What Rutland faced was no different than the problems police departments in rural midwestern towns faced. They did not know what to do because they never faced these problems ever.
The drugs that the gangs bring to any area are the more hardcore drugs. Pot can be grown anywhere and is the gateway drug, but coke, heroin, pills, etc is where the big money is at. Legalizing pot will not stop drug activity. The number of drug overdoses we see here at work is steadily increasing each year. The state statistics also point out that the education given to children is not working as it once was. These are indicators why rural states are ripe for the picking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont