Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM

166 posts, read 441,531 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start a new topic where another forum member mentioned in another topic about Vermont's recent ranking as having the highest drug use in the nation.

State officials cite 'permissive attitude' as underlying cause for high drug use: Times Argus Online

Hard drugs and gangs are pouring into VT. I think the situation is much worse than what law enforcement and residents here realize. Gangs are organizing here including the notorious bloods and crips. Entire NYC drug based gangs are relocating here. I see drug deals being carried out on a daily basis in Burlington in plain view right on the street. I have also noticed many gang affliated signs being worn such as red bandanas, tatoos, etc. My friends tell me the rural areas are being hit especially hard. I have also noticed at parties and social gatherings around Burlington that heroin and cocaine are being heavily used. Meth has also started showing up here and once that gets established here I think its all over from there. The law enforcement here is just not prepared to handle these increased drug problems. The State Police is short 25 officers. VT is losing 60 percent of its federal funding for drug police programs. VT law enforcement and VT in general is going to be faced with a tough road ahead.

State, feds tout drug cases; lament funding loss
State, feds tout drug cases; lament funding loss - Boston.com

Big-City Gangs Start Drug Rings In Vermont
Gangs Of Vermont - News Story - WPTZ Plattsburgh

Alleged member of Bloods gang arrested in Stowe
Alleged member of Bloods gang arrested in Stowe: Times Argus Online

Vermont law enforcement officers have confiscated drugs and weapons totaling more than $175,000
Police Round Up Drug Suspects

Meth-laced Ecstasy pills arrive in Vt.
Meth-laced Ecstasy pills arrive in Vt.: Rutland Herald Online

Last edited by MTK1; 03-07-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Small text

Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

PO Edward Byrne
My friend, who died guarding a drug informant's house in Queens, NY (NYC) He was murdered by a dirtbag who received orders from a drug dealer who was imprisoned at the time.
Please remember him and make sure your legislators remember to protect the local police and VSP -- especially if NYC drug dirtbags are migrating north.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:43 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
I'm so sorry about your friend. I can't imagine.

Random drug checks start: Rutland Herald Online

Random drug checks start

March 8, 2008
By Brent Curtis Herald Staff

Law enforcement officers from three agencies in Rutland County, along with aerial support from the Vermont National Guard, conducted a roving war on drugs in the city Friday afternoon.

Moderater cut: copyright. Please just post link and very short intro. Thanks.

Last edited by vter; 03-08-2008 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 AM

130 posts, read 276,702 times
When you make it harder to buy beer then drugs you aren't helping the situation.

I think "......gangs pouring into VT...." is a bit of an exaggeration. All the drugs mentioned have been very common [except smoking meth] since the 70's.

There's not enough people in VT to make selling drugs the business it is in other states. And the day that a rural family is killed in a gang/drug related incident, many native Vermonters will be loading up their guns and happy to pull the triggers.

I'm not sure that gangs will find VT worth trying to make a major in state appearance here.....

Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
I have said it before and will say it again. The effect of drugs and it's cost on society is unbelievable. Our so politically correct and socially responsible legislature will continue to spend it's time working toward every far fetched cause of the week and when it comes to drugs they surely are sending the wrong message. I don't advocate using expensive resources to track and punish casual users of marijuana, but the public has to understand that by minimizing and even legitimizing any abuse only fuels it's growth. I have lived in places and worked in LE to see first hand how these relationships link together and how far reaching and destructive drug use and trafficing can be. It's no big surprise we here have been identified as number one. Kind of amusing in a sad way. We brag and gloat over how much we spend "on the children", on how healthy and smart we are, how according to the latest TV ads here in Vt eight out of ten youth don't smoke cigs, yet behind the scenes drug use and alcohol abuse is as pervasive as ever. Because of the very nature of Vermont quite a bit of the damage and lives being threatened flies under the radar, but as we have seen more recently we are attracting the "business" end of drugs and with every shooting the threat will become more apparent. Heck, just a few days ago quite a charmer was taken into custody in Stowe. This just goes to show folks that this element can and will show up even in the most bucolic locales and it's time we face up to facts, drop the denial, and realize that only by effective enforcement and more so by direct no nonsense prosecution will we send a message that you had better take your business elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:03 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
VT is an easy mark. We may not have a huge population but of that population we have the most drug users in the country. Plenty of market share. We will be unable to catch up there was a recent case where two VT'ers robbed a convenience store with an ax and the judge was unable to lock one of them up(or set bail) because it was his first offense. You get a free pass for your first armed robbery gee that is nice to know. I'm moving to the big bad city to raise my daughter where it is safer(and there is a functioning economy).

Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 AM

130 posts, read 276,702 times
Quote:
I'm moving to the big bad city to raise my daughter where it is safer.....
From what fisher cats?

Where the heck do you live in VT that a "city" would be safer other then another rural state small city?

And 'safer' from what, drugs, rape, robbery, murder?

Heck, 50 + years in VT and I've never locked the door to any home I lived in my LIFE!

There's not a street I wouldn't walk late at night in the state.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
When you make it harder to buy beer then drugs you aren't helping the situation.

I think "......gangs pouring into VT...." is a bit of an exaggeration. All the drugs mentioned have been very common [except smoking meth] since the 70's.

There's not enough people in VT to make selling drugs the business it is in other states. And the day that a rural family is killed in a gang/drug related incident, many native Vermonters will be loading up their guns and happy to pull the triggers.

I'm not sure that gangs will find VT worth trying to make a major in state appearance here.....
Meth has become a huge problem in NoCal where one of my friends is a CHP. HUGE problem. The area he lives in is more like VT than any part of CA. It happens. It's far easier to set up a drug kitchen in an out of the way locale in a rural area (look at the midwest, too) than it is in a populated one. It's also easier to hide a drug dealing operation if one has several small outposts.

These dirtbags are counting on the rural and remote nature, as well as what they perceive to be the naivete of the local residents.

I do not advocate draconian drug laws like the Rockefeller laws in NYS, but something needs to be done throughout the country. The Rockefeller Laws have placed people in jail for way too long over small pot related offenses. There needs to be some balance. I don't smoke anything, but even I realise that an adult with 2 -3 joints is not the same as a meth dealer.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
A trend that I have noticed here concerning serious felony trials involves the serious compromise of the prosecution dueto the stated inability of being able to procure "expert witnesses". What they should really be telling us is that we are either unwilling or unable to pay for expert testimony, because the resources are out there. The two cases I have heard recently this apply to involve sexual assault and murder.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
There was a special report done last week on WPTZ that went into the whole drug/gang thing. It's a fact form police departments throughout the state, gangs are here. One part of that story that stuck in in mind was that members of the Crips and Bloods have been arrested in Vermont. The only reason they knew who they were was because of past criminal records in other states. The point was that gang members come and never claim any affiliation with a gang. It draws attention to them and thats the last thing they want. They can come to a state like Vermont and not have to claim they belong to gang A or gang B because there is little competition and they don't have to claim territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont