Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times

Advertisements

Sometimes the tolerance for offenders is on the federal level:

Jailed crack offenders might be freed: Rutland Herald Online

Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Default Yep, Begich, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Oh no, Mark Begich. Ho Hum, yawn. I could tell stories about him, but this is not the venue. He and his cronnies coupled with the crime problem greatly influenced our departure. As far as Vermont is concerned one of the most salient points we have to continue to promote our quality of life is the historical lack of serious criminal enterprise. If we diminish this quality then coupled with fiscal policies we will lose out on keeping our 'brand" image.
Yes, Markie boy has shown his true sides many a times up here to the Anchorage residents. During the summer months when Alaska is absolutely loaded with tourists there is a very large police force, some on bikes; they are heavy in the areas where panhandlers are also. I would not say that Anchorage has a historical background of serious crime. The problem as I see it is there are Begich's all over the lower 48 states so there really is no "safe place."

Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Sometimes the tolerance for offenders is on the federal level:

Jailed crack offenders might be freed: Rutland Herald Online
The whole issue on this stems from the argument on racial disparity in sentencing which has been batted back and forth for quite a while.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM

Interesting that since this thread was generated within a week's time two stories have publicly emerged here in Vermont. Yesterday WCAX reported that in St. Albans "a notorious NY gang member" of the Latin Kings was taken into custody with two others. Six days ago from Stowe "nationwide search for gang member ended following a standoff" involving a violent fugitive from NY affiliated with the Bloods. The vocation of these individuals involves drug pushing, assault, weapons use. It's fair to say they were not here for spring break or to help tap the maples. It's also important to note that what make the media news represents only a small fraction of what is actually going on. From the famous line of the 1982 movie "Poltergeist" comes to mind when the little girl exclaims "they're here"!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Interesting that since this thread was generated within a week's time two stories have publicly emerged here in Vermont. Yesterday WCAX reported that in St. Albans "a notorious NY gang member" of the Latin Kings was taken into custody with two others. Six days ago from Stowe "nationwide search for gang member ended following a standoff" involving a violent fugitive from NY affiliated with the Bloods. The vocation of these individuals involves drug pushing, assault, weapons use. It's fair to say they were not here for spring break or to help tap the maples. It's also important to note that what make the media news represents only a small fraction of what is actually going on. From the famous line of the 1982 movie "Poltergeist" comes to mind when the little girl exclaims "they're here"!
I agree. What makes me upset are the people out there who say it will never happen in Vermont. People were saying the same thing about rural Iowa several years ago. Guess what? Come to terms that it can happen here(and is happening) and deal with it before it gets out of control or ignore it and let it get out of control. If your car had a mechanical problem you would fix it before it broke down to the point of no repair.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I agree. What makes me upset are the people out there who say it will never happen in Vermont. People were saying the same thing about rural Iowa several years ago. Guess what? Come to terms that it can happen here(and is happening) and deal with it before it gets out of control or ignore it and let it get out of control. If your car had a mechanical problem you would fix it before it broke down to the point of no repair.
It's a human fault even amongst the most best intentioned folks, denial. We all should try to see the best in people and situations and not over react, but there are situations in life when the going gets tough the tough had better get going and take the blinders off and deal with the situation. Fairly simple research into the gang problem and culture shows its spread and effects in the most surprising regions of the country.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Default Letter in today's Rutland Herald about kids & drugs

Know where your kids are: Rutland Herald Online

Know where your kids are

March 12, 2008
As a licensed foster parent I have seen and dealt with teens who are victims of the drug rings in Rutland County for the past five years. I have asked many questions as to why these kids get hooked on drugs in the first place, knowing full well the repercussions. The one answer that I keep hearing is, no one cares what we do. It is a way to make big bucks, and it helps us to forget where we come from. Most of the kids are from families with only one parent, or parents who do drugs themselves. Some of the parents are from the generation when it was cool to get high. These kids want to fit in and belong to something, too. I have heard many stories from these kids. The one thing they all have in common is they were allowed to do whatever they wanted. There are children out on our streets with no supervision whatsoever. It may be the parent or both parents are working hard to make ends meet. In the meantime these kids roam the streets looking for something to do or just to fit in. Some of these kids are as young as 5 years old, but for the most part it's the preteens, and teenagers whom the parents have no control over. There are parents out there who need help, but are afraid of their own kids, or having their kids taken away. It is very difficult to raise children today when you are a single parent, or you both have to work to survive.

I had one kid tell me that within the next three to five years Rutland will be the drug capital of Vermont. Now that is scary coming from a 16-year-old, but the scariest thing is I believe him. The police and ATF are starting to crack down on the drug pushers coming into our city, but as parents it's our obligation to make sure our kids are not out there to greet them. Know what your children are doing. Hold them accountable for their actions. Follow through with the consequences of their actions. If you are afraid of them or losing them, you need to be made aware that you will lose them to others who don't care what happens to them. These drug dealers will get them hooked on heroin, cocaine, or crack cocaine for free, but nothing in this life is ever for free. They will use them as runners for their drugs; if they get caught it's the kids who get into trouble, not them. These kids will do anything to get their next high, steal, rob, give their bodies away. I know first-hand what happens to these kids. By the time they come to me it is sometimes too late to turn them around. They are lucky they are still alive when they come to me, and I am not kidding. It is not only the illegal drugs these kids will get high on either. They will take, snort or shoot prescription drugs, too. One pain pill will fetch at least $10 out on the street. As parents we need to make sure all medications are under lock and key, including over-the-counter medications. There are kids under 10 drinking cough medications like soda to get high. These children are our future. Don't think for one minute that it isn't happening to your kids. Ask yourself these questions. Where are my kids at this moment? What are my kids doing at this moment? If you can't answer right away, then you have the potential for your kids to be caught up in whirlwind of drugs.

Parents, you are not alone. There is help out there. The Department of Children and Family Services is there to help. They won't come in snatch your kids away for making a phone call to ask some questions. You don't even have to give your name. The non-parents out there, you can help by maybe becoming a foster parent to help these kids, too. You don't even have to be long-term foster parents. There is a need for short-term emergency care, too. I will end by saying, it's all our responsibility to get the drug pushers out of our city, and to help the kids who have been victims of all the drugs get the help they need, so they can become the adult every parent dreams of for their children.

L.A. ROLLINS

Rutland

Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Or you could decriminalize pot and lower the drinking age...

Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 AM

Default U.S. Senate panel to hear testimony on Rutland drugs

U.S. Senate panel to hear testimony on Rutland drugs: Times Argus Online

U.S. Senate panel to hear testimony on Rutland drugs

March 15, 2008
RUTLAND — A U.S. Senate committee will meet here later this month to hear testimony about the city's problems with drugs and violent crime.

The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, chaired by U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., will convene in Rutland on March 24, with Leahy and U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., attending.

They'll hear testimony from seven speakers, including Rutland's mayor and police chief, state Public Safety Commissioner Tom Tremblay and Bert Klavens, outpatient counselor for Washington County Youth Services.

"The myth is still alive that drug abuse and drug-related crime are only big city problems," Leahy said in announcing the hearing. "The fact is that rural America is also coping with these issues, day in and day out."

The move comes in the wake of a series of drug-related shootings, including the death of a man shot during a drug deal gone bad last month.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 AM

Wow, step one being acknowledgement. Let's hope after all the "studying" they don't get stuck in gear. Actually, this is good and hopefully it will draw more attention to the issue and people involved. Then after the talk a plan of action and implementation of same has to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont