Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
On LI, gangs are far more prevalent in impoverished areas as opposed to those which have a little more money. We are seeing a meteoric rise in the number of Latin-based gangs such as MS-13. Areas which once seemed 'safe' are starting to get tagged as territory.
*yet another reason to get off LI...*

I agree...and many places here are ripe being 'quite poor.'

Gangs and that culture fill a void in a kid's life.

And while we're on 'drugs'-- what about alcohol? It can be just as destructive to families and children, yet it's legal. I bet there are a heck of a lot of alcoholics here...

Just the isolation and weather alone...

Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
I'm not picking on rap music and I don't belive in sensorship. I'm saying that some rap music glamorizes gang life as well as other forms of music. I say this because I listen to rap. I have to be selective when my kids are around. I don't want them to think that it's all right to "cap someone with a nine" or to smoke a blunt. I know these artists are telling a story about their lives and they have the right to do so, but I remember as a teenager how influential music was in my life and teens don't always make rational decissions(myself included). Being a good parent is the big key, but parents can't watch their teens twenty four seven. There are influences in life like friends, music, sports, etc that help form who we become. I speak from experience because our oldest son went down the wrong path in life despite a strong family life. His friends and the people he idolized contributed to where he ended up in his life(his own words). My point was not to pick on rap, but that is one of the most popular forms of music now. When I was a kid it was rock and though it didn't glamorize gang life it did glamorize drug use and excessive drinking.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
When I worked in law enforcement outside of Vermont the rap and "gangsta" routine had a definite impact on certain youth. The scary thing which I witnessed many times was that it was not always readily apparent on which kids just seemed to embrace it as a novelty form of entertainment versus the ones who took it to heart and fashioned their lifestyles and associated actions to the very direct references found in this entertainment. I realize that the vast majority of folks have never experienced firsthand the crude violence of gang activity, but it is out there and very real. Also, no longer is gang ideology and violence isolated in certain urban core centers. Plenty of information exists out there for folks to research on how serious and established are the networks of various gangs and their effect on communities. However, nothing but nothing beats the experience of witnessing it firsthand, but of course that goes with anything in life.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 AM

130 posts, read 276,810 times
I think it's video games...they're turning our children against us. I say ban them!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I would say the citizens need to start arming themselves.
They should then. VT has no gun laws, so that is a plus for any law abiding citizen.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
I think it's video games...they're turning our children against us. I say ban them!
It won't work. Violence has been around before video games came about. Next one speaks of banning TV. Gangs have existed before TV. The first Irish gangs formed in NYC before the Civil War.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,231 times
Default Uvm and drug demand create a supply system

In my op, the root of the problem is the demand and cash money flowing from wealthy out of state UVM students for drugs, even weed. The large weed demand is enough money for dealers to get their talons in the community. They can make a living off weed itself, I knew someone doing this. Some, like this person, are content with weed-which is fine by me as it's so mellow. The issue is most aren't content and want to introduce things like coke and oxycontin which make more profit.
These UVMers eventually leave, and either stop using as much or take their habit with them. They leave the bad element with us in the Chittenden County area, which then contaminates our precious VT children's lives. Bad situation, one would think UVM would have a class in how their influx effects the community, both negatively and positively. I doubt that they would be stopped by this, bit maybe that might start a dialogue in decriminalizing drugs, so that the rug is pulled put under the drug dealers feet.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 AM

166 posts, read 441,762 times
Yes the majority of UVM students are wealthy out-of-state students. Yes there is a huge weed demand but other hard drugs are very popular. I have been told moving cocaine, heroin, etc up here from points south is very lucrative. Look at the UVM Frat house last year dealing cocaine as a example. In my opinion UVM destroys Burlington. The students could care less about the city and have absolutely no respect. My landlord told me personally he can raise the rent every year by $50 and has no problem getting wealthy UVM students lined up every year. In my opinion Burlington's future doesnt look good.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK1 View Post
My landlord told me personally he can raise the rent every year by $50 and has no problem getting wealthy UVM students lined up every year. In my opinion Burlington's future doesnt look good.
It made one of the best places lists. People will still keep coming from all over.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:44 AM

166 posts, read 441,762 times
They will and their trust funds too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont