Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK1 View Post
Yes the majority of UVM students are wealthy out-of-state students. Yes there is a huge weed demand but other hard drugs are very popular. I have been told moving cocaine, heroin, etc up here from points south is very lucrative. Look at the UVM Frat house last year dealing cocaine as a example. In my opinion UVM destroys Burlington. The students could care less about the city and have absolutely no respect. My landlord told me personally he can raise the rent every year by $50 and has no problem getting wealthy UVM students lined up every year. In my opinion Burlington's future doesnt look good.
UVM has saved Burlington from becoming just another run down medium size city in the Northeast. There are only a handful of nice small cities left in the Northeast with thriving downtowns, and just about everyone is a college town.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
UVM has saved Burlington from becoming just another run down medium size city in the Northeast. There are only a handful of nice small cities left in the Northeast with thriving downtowns, and just about everyone is a college town.
Saved it for whom? Not for locals, that's for sure.
Fletcher Allen is in Burlington... Champlain (a school that locals actually go to) is in Burlington... Burlington College... St. Mike's isn't far... Trinity used to be here...

Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Saved it for whom? Not for locals, that's for sure.
Fletcher Allen is in Burlington... Champlain (a school that locals actually go to) is in Burlington... Burlington College... St. Mike's isn't far... Trinity used to be here...
Look at the nicest towns in Vermont, they're full of out of staters-Burlington, Middlebury, Brattleboro.

Look at the medium sized towns without out of staters- unkept yards, peeling paint, rusty cars in the yard-exercising their "yankee rights" to keep their property however they want.

It's not about money or the size of your home or property, it's about taking pride in your town and land. Too many natives don't care.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 PM

118 posts, read 284,955 times
Quote:
Too many natives don't care.
And too many non-natives care too much about other peoples business.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Look at the nicest towns in Vermont, they're full of out of staters-Burlington, Middlebury, Brattleboro.

Look at the medium sized towns without out of staters- unkept yards, peeling paint, rusty cars in the yard-exercising their "yankee rights" to keep their property however they want.

It's not about money or the size of your home or property, it's about taking pride in your town and land. Too many natives don't care.
Methinks some are too consumed by materialism and trivial matters. It's expensive to live here, jobs are scarce, it's foolish to throw anything out that may have a use. And, I like that many people let nature take over their yards rather than have carefully cut grass imitating the prairies. We wouldn't have half the trees and wildflowers we have if people didn't leave their yards alone. And take my word for it, the quality of life is much better in those rural, small, "unkept" towns than in crowded, polluted, Burlington.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:

I don't get the storing of all your stuff in your front or side or back lawn, either. Some people have real eye sore houses. Others have very bizarre decor. The problem is, I am not a big fan of 'housing associations' and their laws, either. Imagine you are building a half a million dollar home and some 'group' or 'counsel' is telling you what colors you can have, what materials you can use and so on.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't get the storing of all your stuff in your front or side or back lawn, either. Some people have real eye sore houses. Others have very bizarre decor. The problem is, I am not a big fan of 'housing associations' and their laws, either. Imagine you are building a half a million dollar home and some 'group' or 'counsel' is telling you what colors you can have, what materials you can use and so on.
I had a job that required me to drive throughout the country, I went to people's homes and spoke to their neighbors in their homes. Small town America is extremely dumpy. The only places that weren't bed and breakfast towns or college towns I found where people kept up their yards and houses
were in Minnesota and Wisconsin. They weren't fancy or impressive places, just very neat and cared for.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
And too many non-natives care too much about other peoples business.
This is true . I care about the Vermont landscape and views from my property. To be honest, I don't really care about you. It's a shame that we have so many Jerry Springer types in our country that we have to force them to clean themselves and their property. That's just the way it has to be.
Smokers failed to consider others around them, so now we have laws to force them not to stink up people's hair and clothes. We need the same for people who turn their homes into junkyards, exercising their yankee rights.

It's a shame, but a large percentage of society is dead-weight.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:47 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
This is true . I care about the Vermont landscape and views from my property. To be honest, I don't really care about you. It's a shame that we have so many Jerry Springer types in our country that we have to force them to clean themselves and their property. That's just the way it has to be.
Smokers failed to consider others around them, so now we have laws to force them not to stink up people's hair and clothes. We need the same for people who turn their homes into junkyards, exercising their yankee rights.

It's a shame, but a large percentage of society is dead-weight.
And some people wonder why the hatred for the yuppies.

Unless your neighbor is dumping toxic waste that can harm you you have no business trying to control them.

The yuppies can control me when I run out of ammo, as the saying goes.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
While a couple of old school buses (aka. Sheds), 15 lawn mowers in various states of disrepair etc. may not be the ideal “yard” in some folk’s opinion, I would hate for VT to begin adding more laws controlling what people do with their own stuff. Frankly, that is why we like VT, if we want our place to be nicely landscaped, no one cares, if we don’t no one cares. It’s all good.

Home associations etc. don’t need to have a place in VT outside of the places already infested with them.

As it is I got a cease and desist order a few years ago at our house in MA for installing new cedar siding on my own house. They asked me if I had a license, I told them yes, they asked me to show them, I showed them my driver’s license, firearms license and my tax bill and asked if they have any questions. I then sternly asked them to leave and send me my fine as it is still cheaper than hiring someone to do it. Then I got one for replacing an existing fence. Then I got one for repainting my house. Heck we don’t even have a homeowners association, this is just the town/city “rules”.

At some point I have to plead Libertarianism to a certain extent, do what you want with your stuff and leave me alone. Now if that impacts me significantly I have a choice to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont