Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Can you tell me more specifically what this looks like? What specific elements might be identified in a "sustained and focused effort"? In an environment of overt resistance and unwavering intolerance, what might people, organizations, and law enforcement do differently? Thanks for any input!
It starts with trained and not an on and off again gang intelligence unit. With joint information networking between federal, state, county, municipal, district attorney offices current real time data and intell is developed. Then enforcement action to keep the pressure on the active criminal element is carried out. Arrests and evidence then are prepared for prosecution and trial by competent DAs. Then, if convictions are obtained and sentencing is truly proportional an atmosphere is generated that is hostile to the intended target and they will seek the path of least resistance to operate elsewhere. Believe it or not this stragedy over time is much more costs effective and promotes a safer community. It takes commitment, resolve, and lack of denial on behalf of the community and authorities alike. If any part of the equation balks then we basically start all over again chasing our tails. It's like if you have carpenter ants in the house and you just keep using insectide, but the true source of the problem is damp rotting wood in the structure. Control and eliminate the source or you'll just go broke spraying insecticide.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Vermont Tiger: Rutland Can Respond To Urban Crime Threat
The above link is an article written by the former mayor of Rutland about fighting a gang infusion. The way things are now VT doesn't have a chance.
You have a valid point. It sure does appear up here we delay in taking on substantive pragmatic action on local problems because we are so pre occupied by getting wrapped around the axle on issues which at face value may be noble and just, but are far beyond the realm and scope of our efforts to have any effect on whatsoever. Let's get our own lawn mowed and thatched before we try to mow and weed the fields of our distant neighbors.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM

35 posts, read 195,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I would say the citizens need to start arming themselves.
agreed 100%.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Thanks! I'll make sure that our current mayor (a neighbor of mine) sees this.

What makes you say this?

Why would there ever be no chance? Don't we always have a chance to learn from mistakes and make a positive difference?
Sure we have a chance to learn from our mistakes and work toward actual beneficial change. I think the OP is just referring to the frustration of the slow and disjointed steps we take in identifying, acknowledging, acting upon, modifying, and improving upon solutions. I have met many folks who feel that our state motto should actually incorporate the term "unintended consequences".

Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
The Anchorage Mayor has admitted they have a gang problem there and then goes on to talk about task forces, etc.; just like their task force for "No Homelessness in 10 Years" that was started back in 2004. Well, hmm, all I have seen is that they hold meetings, eat good food, and then go about their business. I live about 50 miles outside of Anchorage and am very glad of it. I've not seen any real dents put on the gangs or crime in Anchorage.
Oh no, Mark Begich. Ho Hum, yawn. I could tell stories about him, but this is not the venue. He and his cronnies coupled with the crime problem greatly influenced our departure. As far as Vermont is concerned one of the most salient points we have to continue to promote our quality of life is the historical lack of serious criminal enterprise. If we diminish this quality then coupled with fiscal policies we will lose out on keeping our 'brand" image.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM

130 posts, read 276,758 times
Remember that group with gang ties in Burlington about 10-15 years ago? Their were stomped [literally] out very quickly.

Gangs want to make money. There just aren't the potential profits to risk running that much of a gang operation in VT. Mass alone has over 6.5 million people compared to VT way less then 1 million.

I'm sure there are gang related drugs in VT now but I still doubt that you'll ever see much if any gang related "activity" here.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
We have the highest percentage of pot smokers in the country, and plenty of other drug abusers. Getting a monopoly on that drug business I'd imagine is lucrative enough. Lax enforcement/punishment just sweetens the deal. Montpelier is too busy fighting global warming to be much of a gang deterrent. First time we have a gang banging in front of an organic farm stand there will be outrage, outrage I tell you, indignant screeching outrage. It'll be too late then.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 PM

130 posts, read 276,758 times
Hell, you know how much pot is home grown in VT.

"First time we have a gang banging in front of an organic farm stand...."

I'm 50 and don't think I'll live to see it...

Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Most of the crimes have been between the drug dealers/users themselves, with some exceptions of innocent people getting caught in the middle (like that girl who was shot in that van in Rutland when the shooter didn't know she was there, supposedly). But see, they're trying and are successfully spreading the drugs to others, to get more customers, and it's going to grow into a bigger problem. Most of the recent victims (like the out of staters in that apartment building near the school in Rutland where there was a shooting), I honestly must say, won't be missed. Good riddance to those scum. But the problem is innocent people have and will become victims of these idiots. I've seen what were probably drug deals going on but nothing gets done about it. I mean, out of state (NY) car, driving back and forth down the street from parking lot to parking lot waiting for other cars to show up, standing there staring at me while I walk down the street till I leave, the people I've seen, etc. If you're aware you'll start seeing evidence of what's going on. Arm yourself...I carry everywhere I go, and there have been times I've been glad I've had that revolver in my pocket...though luckily I've never had to pull it out yet...the streets really are not as safe as many think they are.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM

It's one thing when the "bangers" take each other out, we used to refer to this with the unofficial of course classification as NHI, no humans involved. But, despite the lack of remorse and sense of good riddence many have it is important to remember the negative effect nonetheless it has on a neighborhood or town when these incidents occur. Quite often innocent folks end up being victims either by design or by chance. A developing story revealing a gang connection is now surfacing concerning the suspect in the recent murder of the college student in Chapel Hill, NC. No point in going into details here as folks who are interested can follow up on the story, but the point is that gangs and the activity they breed and foster is not just confined in certain areas and can spread to all areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont