Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times

Advertisements

I don't know if Vermont has the Castle Law and the Self Defense Law. We do here in Alaska. Anchorage has a gang problem (they seem to be the "wannabe's",), however there have been numerous shootings over the last several years, mainly at each other, but some innocent caught in the crossfire. So any kind of a gang can be dangerous. Anchorage was slow to act and now they have a problem. I would urge the citizens of beautiful VT to hound your legislators to get these scumbags out of there immediately. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Alaskapat and others, I'm interested to know what (if anything) various cities or regions have found effective at reducing or eliminating gang activity. Calls for stronger law enforcement make sense, but I'm wondering what other (perhaps unexpected) efforts have been successful at discouraging gangs.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Discouraging Gangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Alaskapat and others, I'm interested to know what (if anything) various cities or regions have found effective at reducing or eliminating gang activity. Calls for stronger law enforcement make sense, but I'm wondering what other (perhaps unexpected) efforts have been successful at discouraging gangs.
Hi Sheryl,

The City of Anchorage has youth groups to help keep kids busy after school and hopefully from joining gangs. To be honest, other than seeing those arrested after they have commited a crime, I honestly don't believe they do a whole lot. And sadly it appears to be that way with all cities. California, back in the 70's had the terrible gang problem that they never nipped in the bud, thus, look at the gang problem now. Appears putting lots of pressure on your local legislators and council people might be an answer.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Alaskapat, the problem with Anchorage was and still is that their reaction and admission that there is a problem comes and goes like the tide. I worked in the law enforcement community there so I first hand saw and dealt with it. A major problem is that the administration in any locale is reluctant to come out and admit such a problem involving gangs because it has an adverse impact. First, it creates an image problem for growth and tourism and it also creates anxiety within the community. While it is true that there are numerous wannabe start ups, the reality is that the real deal is also operating and growing. The knee jerk reaction has always been to create "task forces" to examine and react to a series of incidents. Programs for youth are great, but for the most part they are geared toward and effective for dealing with low level issues. The true criminal enterprise members it has no effect on. The first step in dealing with the problem is to recognize and admit there is a problem. Then the reaction requires a sustained and focused effort at identifying the elements responsible and at every step crushing them. Only by creating an environment of overt resistance with no tolerance which does not waver will a community prevent and expell gang influence and the myriad of crime and safety issues that they breed.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Then the reaction requires a sustained and focused effort at identifying the elements responsible and at every step crushing them. Only by creating an environment of overt resistance with no tolerance which does not waver will a community prevent and expell gang influence and the myriad of crime and safety issues that they breed.
Can you tell me more specifically what this looks like? What specific elements might be identified in a "sustained and focused effort"? In an environment of overt resistance and unwavering intolerance, what might people, organizations, and law enforcement do differently? Thanks for any input!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
Vermont Tiger: Rutland Can Respond To Urban Crime Threat
The above link is an article written by the former mayor of Rutland about fighting a gang infusion. The way things are now VT doesn't have a chance.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Vermont Tiger: Rutland Can Respond To Urban Crime Threat
The above link is an article written by the former mayor of Rutland about fighting a gang infusion.

Thanks! I'll make sure that our current mayor (a neighbor of mine) sees this.

What makes you say this?
Quote:
The way things are now VT doesn't have a chance.
Why would there ever be no chance? Don't we always have a chance to learn from mistakes and make a positive difference?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Default The Anchorage Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Alaskapat, the problem with Anchorage was and still is that their reaction and admission that there is a problem comes and goes like the tide. I worked in the law enforcement community there so I first hand saw and dealt with it. A major problem is that the administration in any locale is reluctant to come out and admit such a problem involving gangs because it has an adverse impact. First, it creates an image problem for growth and tourism and it also creates anxiety within the community. While it is true that there are numerous wannabe start ups, the reality is that the real deal is also operating and growing. The knee jerk reaction has always been to create "task forces" to examine and react to a series of incidents. Programs for youth are great, but for the most part they are geared toward and effective for dealing with low level issues. The true criminal enterprise members it has no effect on. The first step in dealing with the problem is to recognize and admit there is a problem. Then the reaction requires a sustained and focused effort at identifying the elements responsible and at every step crushing them. Only by creating an environment of overt resistance with no tolerance which does not waver will a community prevent and expell gang influence and the myriad of crime and safety issues that they breed.
The Anchorage Mayor has admitted they have a gang problem there and then goes on to talk about task forces, etc.; just like their task force for "No Homelessness in 10 Years" that was started back in 2004. Well, hmm, all I have seen is that they hold meetings, eat good food, and then go about their business. I live about 50 miles outside of Anchorage and am very glad of it. I've not seen any real dents put on the gangs or crime in Anchorage.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Thanks! I'll make sure that our current mayor (a neighbor of mine) sees this.

What makes you say this?

Why would there ever be no chance? Don't we always have a chance to learn from mistakes and make a positive difference?
Read the article once gangs are established they can't be ridden. Vt is currently way too soft on crime. There was a recent armed robbery of a convenience store by two folks and the judge was unable to hold one or set bail because of no priors. First armed robbery is a gimme c'mon. Today there was a story on someone caught with 150 bags of heroin in Montpelier the fellow was participating in a return convicts to society
program. Lots and lots of diversion going on. As I understand it if someone gets diversion then their crime isn't recorded as such, keeps the state looking better than it is. I'm leaving for economic and cultural reasons(not letting my daughter grow up with the pothead mentality) I don't fear crime here. I have handguns and while legal I don't bother to carry. But I think VT is going to get a lot worse, crappy economics and soft on crime politicos make for a third world state.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Arm Yourselves

Quote:
Read the article once gangs are established they can't be ridden. Vt is currently way too soft on crime. There was a recent armed robbery of a convenience store by two folks and the judge was unable to hold one or set bail because of no priors. First armed robbery is a gimme c'mon. Today there was a story on someone caught with 150 bags of heroin in Montpelier the fellow was participating in a return convicts to society
program. Lots and lots of diversion going on. As I understand it if someone gets diversion then their crime isn't recorded as such, keeps the state looking better than it is. I'm leaving for economic and cultural reasons(not letting my daughter grow up with the pothead mentality) I don't fear crime here. I have handguns and while legal I don't bother to carry. But I think VT is going to get a lot worse, crappy economics and soft on crime politicos make for a third world state.

I would say the citizens need to start arming themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont