Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Unfortunately that adjective describes posts from a few select people, for what ever issue, who have a personal ax to grind and it's awful easy to blame Vermont or the various parts thereof, for their situations.
Exactly! I live in what one would consider one of the better cities to live in New England and I'm looking to move to Burlington or the surrounding area. I would hardly call it a craphole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,391,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Burlington is nothing like New Brunswick. It's much better.
I agree. I went to school in New Brunswick and it was pretty much a college town in its center surrounded by a strange mix of ghettos and corporate campuses.

Other than one main street with some decent restaurants and bars there wasn't much to do.

Burlington might be expensive but it's a nice little city with a great pedestrian mall and lots of outdoor recreation opportunities.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 26,207 times
True, it's all opinion. I felt that it's a very nice place to live that was well managed as far as urban sprawl that has a LOT of trees and green areas that weren't overdeveloped. I also found that people are in general very polite. I was able to talk to more than a few people when I was either in line at the grocery store, or when needed directions to get from place to place.<br><br>It's why we chose Vermont over any other place we'd like to live.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 AM

35 posts, read 72,418 times
Default sorry DE didn't work out for you

wow! you really sound like you hate it in DE. I currently live in north wilmington, moving from pa 14 years ago. i have 2 children both in public school in the brandywine school district. our total income seems similar to yours. and like your situation my hubby wants to move up north. he has been daydreaming about the "new england" life for awhile now. he wants greener pastures, less congestion and a slower pace.(oh and bigger mts. to ski on...the poconos just don't cut it) he looks at real-estate everyday. unfortunately, the reality is that moving to new england
(vt. & nh, is where he's been looking) is just unrealistic.
we would never be able to live how we are living now, up there.
it is too much of a risk. a risk i am not willing to take right now. for all of you who are not familiar w/ our area......living here in northern de is fine for us right now. my kids are doing great in school and yes PUBLIC school, we have great friends and neighbors, live comfortably and really do take advantage of what de and the surrounding areas has to offer. i live for the summer days when i can go to one of the state parks like brandywine or bellevue and go mt biking or hiking w/ the kids. i look forward to our camping weekends at the beach staying at cape henlopen, going clamming in the morning, driving up on the beach w/ the kids & dog and grilling out and hanging out w/ all the wonderful people from all over. later we hit the rehoboth boardwalk at night. also winter is beautiful here if you take advantage of it and appreciate it. during the snow storm we had last week we went snowshoeing in the valley. it was priceless. it was just so beautiful! i wish everyone saw this de. when i want a girls night out we head to philly which is only 20 minutes away.
good luck w/ your decision. every place has it's ups and downs. i really try to cherish the ups. even though our lives are crazy and hectic, i really have learned over the years to stop and explore my back yard. de has alot to offer. i really do love new england too. that is why we vacation there once a year.
i wish you the best and keep us updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont