Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I was at the Ben and Jerrys yesterday, and saw that on the menu. Has anyone of you "real" Vermonters ever conquered one?? There is so much stuff in it, I dont know how anyone can eat a whole one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Most people assume that Vermonters only eat Ben & Jerrys, when in fact, the ice cream of choice here is called a Creemee (softserv). There are creemee stands ALL OVER the place. I rarely eat Ben & Jerry's. There are only a handful of scoop shops in Vermont and they are located in tourist areas.
Hmmm...now I want a creemee for breakfast!!!!
LOL...someone has a blog about creemees! I Dream of Creemee: June 2007

Last edited by vter; 07-12-2007 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
B&J's is fine occasionally but I only get it when it's on sale, regular price in stores is nearly $5/pint and that's just nuts.

I hit any one of the zillion soft-serve stands for my ice cream fix, generally.

vter,
That blog surprises me, I don't think I've ever heard soft serve referred to as a "creemee."

Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
Ditto, only a few times a year on the B&J and only when it is on sale. The ice cream is marketed more toward out of state markets and for tourists when visiting here. Kind of funny, when I lived in Anchorage, Ak I could get it cheaper than here, hence, it goes to prove the point that it is really not Vermont ice cream for Vermonters.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Best real maple cremees are at the Morse Farm just north of Montpelier. Available all year while most cremee stands are only open in the summer.

The Waterworks Restaurant in the Champlain Mill in Winooski has had a sandwich called the Vermonster for years. Ham, turkey, sharp cheddar, apple slices, why waste your time with an imposter...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 AM

155 posts, read 614,005 times
I love B&J's esp. the new organic ice cream. It does have a hefty price tag but the strawberry flavor is sooo good. I only buy it every once in a while as the kids and I make our own organic ice cream using one of these:

Amazon.com: Play and Freeze Ice Cream Maker (The Ice Cream Ball): Sports & Outdoors

The only thing is we can't get the strawberry to come out the same as B&J's since the bigger fruit chunks can end up clumped together during all the rolling around. But it is fun for the kids and cheap too.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Any creemee places near Brattleboro/Putney? I will be up there next month and I'd really like to try one.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,272 times
A buddy of mine in college ordered the Vermonster at the princely sum of 8$ back in the early 80's. The rub was that if you could finish it, without help, you got your $8 bucks back. Needless to say, he had to pay.

We sat around and cheered him on, but alas it was just too much!!!!

He was the same guy who ate 11 plates of all you can eat clam strips at the local Howard Johnsons. He's just a normal size guy, but he must have a hollow leg, or something.!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The standard B&J recipie uses gums. To many Vermonters with a dairy background, that is an adulteration of ice-cream. UVM used to have good ice-cream, dunno if they still do. The summer ritual for me as a kid used to include a trip to the Williston cree-mee stand, along with a reminder from my father that it wasn't ice-cream, but a custard, and that I should never buy a cree-mee from a place that wasn't spotlessly clean. IIRC, raw eggs were part of the ingredient mix, and cleaning the machine had to be done very completely and meticulously to keep it from harboring bacteria.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 AM

155 posts, read 614,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The standard B&J recipie uses gums. To many Vermonters with a dairy background, that is an adulteration of ice-cream. UVM used to have good ice-cream, dunno if they still do. The summer ritual for me as a kid used to include a trip to the Williston cree-mee stand, along with a reminder from my father that it wasn't ice-cream, but a custard, and that I should never buy a cree-mee from a place that wasn't spotlessly clean. IIRC, raw eggs were part of the ingredient mix, and cleaning the machine had to be done very completely and meticulously to keep it from harboring bacteria.
The whole raw egg thing keeps me from taking my girls to eat a cree-mee. I did not know that about B&J I wonder if their organic uses gums? I will have to check the label next time I get some. I know the stuff we make at home has nothing like that in it. Just the basics and it still tastes great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont