Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 AM

32 posts, read 99,035 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating my family to Vermont. I spent many summers there and would like to leave the city once and for all. Lucky for me, I work remotely so I will be able to maintain my NYC salary while living in VT.

I wanted to know if anyone here could share there experiences with me. I am interested in hearing from others that have made a similar move both the good and the bad. Keep in mind, I have a young child so I would appreciate any advice you can offer with regard to towns, schools, crime rates, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,773 times
Will you need to commute back to the City once in a while? There are quite a few folks in the Burlington area who kept their jobs in the City and commute via JetBlue. We call it the "JetBlue effect".

Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 99,035 times
Mine will be Jeep Cherokee effect. I hate to fly.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe07 View Post
Mine will be Jeep Cherokee effect. I hate to fly.
LOL! The Jeep Cherokee effect - I like it!

You may want to look into Southern Vermont...Bennington area. You can be in metro NYC in about 3 hours or a little more. The Burlington area you are looking at a 5+ hour drive.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,893 times
I have two teenage nieces who spend each summer at our home in Colchester. Their opinion is that it is no different here than at home in Ct. I grew up there as well and I had the same feeling, but things change quick sometimes, so I asked them since they are living here coming from another state. I think you will find that not all but most suburban areas are similar. Our reason for moving to Vt was that 15-20 yrs ago it was a more affordable state to live in. When I first moved to Vermont I lived in a rural community. That was culture shock. For me it wasn't what I was looking for. I didn't look at "all" the pluses and minuses before moving. You my find that type of community more appealing than I did, but coming from an urban area it may be tough. Violent crime is much less than most places, but we are not a crime free state. Our neighbors home and two of our cars were broken into. Some have the misconception that there is no crime in Vt, but we have our fair share, from the rash of armed robberies at gas stations, stores and banks to the Latino gang members from Hartford, Ct trying to move to Rutland. Some towns you have an honor system when buying vegetables while in other towns not only would the vegetables be ripped off but so would the table they sat on. These are the same crimes you will find anywhere else. The point I'm making is that we don't have a crime free state, but it is one of the safer places to live. You have to keep you guard up like anywhere else. Some places are better than others.

In general the school system in Vt is very good. There are a few places to avoid and like anywhere else in the country you need to pay attention to your children. I have two children in high school and we sometimes cant believe some of the things that go on that they tell us about.

You need to choose a part of the state that works best for your job. There are many good towns in each section of the state as well as different size communities. I could tell you about a great town up near Canada, but that won't help you out with where and how you are getting to your job. I would choose a town in the southeast section of the state close to I-89.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:01 PM

223 posts, read 796,778 times
I lived in Essex just 20 minutes from Burlington with some rusticity pleasing to the eye. Vermont folks were a bit too reserved for my taste, and many drivers were easily agitated if i drove the speed limit. for all the attention to syrupy wonder-rural-lands touted in Vermont Life Magazine, expect to run into neighborhoods that look and smell like the places vermont newbies thought they left behind. Examples are Williston, Essex Junction, Rutland City and Barre City with a gritty feel worth staying far away away from. Montpelier offers that small town sensibility with hints of cultural diversity, although many large homes are in disrepair, the state doesn't seem to enforce any beautification codes. and for all the talk about vermont being politically progressive, the sense i had talking to some folks were that they were as republiclan as they came, with the exception of one fine gent in Williamstown, who had a twinkle in his eye while he explained how he and fellow residents galvanized to keep some big stinky developer out.

Last edited by JimmyLane; 07-28-2007 at 07:45 PM..

Old 07-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Jimmylane....great post.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,861,836 times
Interesting comment about Vermont Life magazine. The pictures and a good number of the stories are interesting, but it definately portrays heavenly life which conflicts with reality for working class Vermonters. Sure the scenery is free, but everything else comes with a price tag. I remember when Vt Life did not have advertising. Now that it does take note especially on the real estate and construction ads and who it caters to. Of course, Vt Life is designed to appeal to and promote those with money to spend it here which quite honestly is the life blood of the state.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,893 times
Only if we all lived in those picture perfect homes listed for sale.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 PM

121 posts, read 563,942 times
There's nothing wrong with dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont