Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM

130 posts, read 276,954 times

Advertisements

My guess is that the state will never catch up with the ludicrously poor condition of our roads/highways. DOT has preached that the 'severe VT winters' destroy them for as long as I can remember. Funny, upstate NY/NH must get different weather then us 'cause the roads over there are always better. Much better.

9N in NY south of Port Henry had a temporary sign last summer advising motorists of 'rough road' while it wasn't half as bad as many parts of 7/22a/100/etc. Interesting I think, they warn, we don't acknowledge.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we don't resurface/maintain them as well [for a couple reasons]?

The first mile of Rt. 17 west from 22a was resurfaced last summer [and who knows how much that cost] but it's already cracking......what a waste of tax dollars. The rest of 17 to the ex-bridge is just down right dangerous in a heavy rain as the low areas collect up to 4"+ of water. Perhaps someone [Montpelier] will take notice when someone gets killed when their car goes out of control when they hydroplane after hitting a water filled low area....or an RV trailer of horse trailer goes over.....[the driver will be sited for "driving to fast for existing conditions" if they're still alive].

Thankfully many town roads are kept in much better condition then the state roads.

We'll have craptastic paved road conditions in VT for a looooong time to come atmo.

On my personal rant scale, this post is a 2 out of a possible 10 FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Heh, go up to the backroads of Ferdinand/Averill/etc. for some "fun" roads...

Although you are right. It's a matter of priorities: the state values the infrastructure less than certain other areas. The roads are bad, but the bridges are dangerous...

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,966,877 times
It's funny, I always smile when I read these posts about the poor conditions of VT roads...I guess it's all relative....while I've driving over some poor roads, both state and local, in VT, nothing compares to what I drive over in NYC on a daily basis. And I'm not even talking about Manhattan.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
It's funny, I always smile when I read these posts about the poor conditions of VT roads...I guess it's all relative....while I've driving over some poor roads, both state and local, in VT, nothing compares to what I drive over in NYC on a daily basis. And I'm not even talking about Manhattan.

We have the same experience when we drive in Manhattan, but also in upstate NY, parts of MA, certainly in Boston, and other states as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,738 times
Try Northern Virginia....mobile pot hole crews are rolling almost every day on an interstate I travel daily (which sucks because traffic is already congested and this makes it even worse). THe problem is that they are just temporary patches....which results in them repairing and refilling weekly. The other side of the interstate is going to take two years to fix....every night they work on it because at 4am when I'm travelling, it is down to sometimes no lanes where they force you off and on at an exit. It is about 6 miles of pot hole city going at high speeds....two years to fix? Ummmm....ok.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 AM

400 posts, read 850,404 times
The state budget again voted to rob 4 million from the transportation fund. After a yeah of record flooding and snow it doesn't seem reasonable to expect a lean year as far as expenditures go.

It's actually cheaper to maintain the roads instead of letting them fall into terrible condition over the long term, but politicians don't work long term.

I think its fair to say the state will never catch up. They aren't even willing to do what it takes to stop the bleeding. So we'll continue to be in fire fighter mode where we just fix one emergency problem after another.

What is strange is the uneven condition of the roads. Rt 15 is major commuter route that has been in horrible condition for at least 3 years now. I was driving on route 2 up in St Johnsbury last week and that road is beautiful despite there not appearing to be much traffic on it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I was driving on route 2 up in St Johnsbury last week and that road is beautiful despite there not appearing to be much traffic on it.
Less traffic is less wear and tear on the roads....that's probably the case there!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 AM

130 posts, read 276,954 times
Clearly VT isn't alone in respect to bad roads but that doesn't excuse it atmo. It's still a sad joke though.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,614,953 times
I came to the Vermont forum to check out the picture thread. But as someone from a state with notoriously terrible roads, this thread caught my eye. Apparently we aren't the only state that complains about road conditions. But I would like Michigan's chances against any state in a "bad roads" contest...

YouTube - ‪The Worst Road in Southeast Michigan‬‏

Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,592 times
Truly impressive. Don't think I've seen anything quite like that. Blech, I'd be carsick, too.

Music by Cheap Trick made it fun. Thanks for the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I came to the Vermont forum to check out the picture thread. But as someone from a state with notoriously terrible roads, this thread caught my eye. Apparently we aren't the only state that complains about road conditions. But I would like Michigan's chances against any state in a "bad roads" contest...

YouTube - ‪The Worst Road in Southeast Michigan‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont