Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

Hi, all-

I'm looking into a job at Copley Hospital in Morrisville, VT. I am currently living in Western Mass (haven't be here for a winter yet), before that I lived in Colorado, and before that I lived in PA (where I grew up).

So, is this a wise choice? First, if anyone could speak to the reputation of the hospital, I'd appreciate it.

As far as quality of life, I love to ski, but hate commuting/driving in winter weather. Also, if I work in Morrisville, where should I live as a single young female? I want to be in a place where I can meet people. It doesn't have to be in a city proper, but access to both a city and the outdoors is ideal!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:11 PM

130 posts, read 279,855 times
As a single young female looking to meet new people I'd live in Montpelier and make the short and easy commute to work.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,113 times
I agree with this. No worries about any "city proper" either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
As a single young female looking to meet new people I'd live in Montpelier and make the short and easy commute to work.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 AM

23,672 posts, read 70,796,309 times
Copley is a very small hospital, so you can be assured that office politics and connections will play a big part in how well you like it. Morrisville is a very small town, as well. Therein lies the rub. You hate winter commutes, and unless you live in Morrisville, you will have one. If you DO live in Morrisville, you will quickly meet the few people that would form your peer group and friends and would lose the possibility of interacting with a wider group, such as might be in Montpelier or Burlington.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,719,121 times
I have a generally positive impression of Morrisville.

As for living in commuting distance, that's more of a problem. There's Stowe, although I don't really know how that would be for a single person.

If you don't like winter driving I wouldn't call Montpelier a "short and easy commute". I don't mind the drive, but I might not like to do it every day all winter long.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM

26 posts, read 47,228 times
I'd say....you should be in Burlington or prepared to be bored.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM

130 posts, read 279,855 times
Comparing driving through Stowe all year round vs Montpelier there is no competition. Stowe is dreadful for tourist traffic.

I agree that outside of Burlington can be somewhat boring if you don't know many people. That's exactly why I left Montpelier. I wasn't a crunchy mommy, or trust fund baby, or attend the unitarian church. It can get tedious. Check out the local paper for each town to give you idea of what thrives there.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
Comparing driving through Stowe all year round vs Montpelier there is no competition. Stowe is dreadful for tourist traffic.

I agree that outside of Burlington can be somewhat boring if you don't know many people. That's exactly why I left Montpelier. I wasn't a crunchy mommy, or trust fund baby, or attend the unitarian church. It can get tedious. Check out the local paper for each town to give you idea of what thrives there.
That's pretty much all of Burlington as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTtoPA View Post
I'd say....you should be in Burlington or prepared to be bored.
If you're closer to 30 than you are 21 Burlington isn't going to be any good either. I would not come to VT if I were you. There are very few young people here for a reason.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,711 times
I know that this post is old but, it makes me sad. Vermont wants to be eclectic and to attract artists, students and free thinkers of all sorts, that being said, we also attempt to drive everyone away. The combination of high cost of living, low salaries no matter your education level, and extreme commutes to whomever a person works for wears on a person. The state also seems bent on driving any person between the ages of 25-50 years of age out. Vermont is a beautiful place to live with many really nice people living here, I am from CO and live off-grid in the town of Belvidere and I love Vermont. I wish Vermont would do their homework to get more business in the state, outside of Chittenden County, we may be able to get more people to move here. I am not hopeful, however, we just do not seem to be able to do the heavy lifting necessary to grow. Again, I live here, I make approximately half of what I could make in almost any other state and pay more taxes here because there are no taxpayers helping with that burden. We seem so determined to 'keep Vermont quaint' that we do not see that the state is slowly driving the young away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont