Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Thank you for taking the time to provide that insight. I wasn't clear initially as to why I went on the offensive, so I apologize.

As one of the NYers floating around in here, I guess I am sensitive to the notion that by virtue of state of birth, Sanders political leanings could be construed as being anything like mine or countless other NYers. If anything, I am closer to conservative with a few libertarian leanings.
No need to apologize. Bernie is pretty unusual by any standards. Most Vermonters will quietly admit to, on a rare occasion, tweaking the uptight noses of out-of-stater, so don't get too overwrought about that anyway. We have heroes like Fed Tuttle Bellwether Films >Fred Tuttle and Ira's more hard-drinking brother Ethan. The very fact that we revere them tells something about our sneaky humor, and attitudes towards people who are easily impressed with themselves.

BTW, Vermont humor can be redneck-like at times, but is usually understated and can be ruthless. I have rarely seen a better example of the differences in redneck humor and Vermont cutting pithiness as the show Larry the Cable Guy did at Dakin Farms. The old man of the operation was clearly not impressed with the tomfoolery, and I was just waiting to see if he would pull a one-line zinger. Usually, when an older Vermonter holds his tongue, when he does speak it is well worth hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,583,564 times
I am a liberal who lives in the South and in what would be considered a liberal city for the South. When I went to Vermont on business for a week last winter I was expecting it to be much more outwardly liberal than what I found. As it turned out, I don't think I noticed anything particularly different when I was there. Like anywhere, people don't want newcomers telling them how to do things. It's like that in the South and it's like that in Vermont.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,393,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Apparently, Vermont has changed a lot from when she was growing up
It used to be one of the most Republican states in the US. Of course, it was mostly "moderate" or centrist Republican.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,913,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev26 View Post
I am a single young professional guy in my mid-20's considering taking a position in the Burlington area. I have spent most of my life in Alabama and never thought much about living in Vermont. Being from the South, I know that people's stereotypes from other regions of the country are not always true - but nonetheless the idea of moving to Vermont would probably be a big change for me.

So, could I fit in well in Vermont and the Burlington area? Would I be able to make friends, become active in the community, and find my niche? To give you an idea of where I am coming from, I am kind-of your "typical" conservative suburban guy: I am very patriotic, go to church on Sunday (Catholic), in to things like watching sports, hunting/fishing, mainstream rock and country music, etc. I have pretty traditional values on issues like life and marriage, I don't care if my food is organic, I like to get involved in Republican politics, and I shop at places like Walmart and Barnes & Noble. However, I am not a "Bible-thumper" and strive to treat everyone with respect.

I just don't want to feel like a total outcast where I live. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
hey fellow southern, i too am from dixie, conservative, religious,educated, suburban and rural, love the same things you do But I am Black. I love Vermont and when not back home in South Carolina, or Tx i summer in Vermont. I find the people much more accepting of different people than any northern place i ve been. they are liberal but not the kind that only open minded to liberal views and people. Vermont is excellent because you have a mix of liberals, conservatives and independent minded people.

good luck and you will love it, i do and hope to find a job there to move ther permanently. i moved to Oregon, but its not the same as VT

Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
I am a 7th generation Vermonter; recently moved to Florida to avoid high taxes, crushing regulations and a liberal government that stacks the cards in their favor to eliminate conservative opposition.

I could go on but I feel the transplants have stollen my beloved State from me. I could go on but I would suggest you take a look at a video that explains what happened.

Google "Turning Blue" and you'll see what I mean.

Best Regard....

Old 10-10-2014, 06:43 PM

56 posts, read 75,562 times
Bless your heart, you're just 26! Cut those Southern apron strings and have an adventure! While I don't live in VT, I've visited many times and we plan on moving. I think you'd find folks very open and not nearly as liberal as the average Southerner assumes (though, like folks have said, there are pockets). We are outdoors all the time: skiing, fishing, biking, etc., and love the accessibility of all that, plus our little trips into Montreal have been a whole other kind of fun.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbiker_usa View Post
I am a 7th generation Vermonter; recently moved to Florida to avoid high taxes, crushing regulations and a liberal government that stacks the cards in their favor to eliminate conservative opposition.

I could go on but I feel the transplants have stollen my beloved State from me. I could go on but I would suggest you take a look at a video that explains what happened.

Best Regard....
Ethan Allen would have driven these people away, as the enemies they are. Modern Vermonters need to wake up and do the same before it's truly too late. We'll lose every freedom and acre of land our ancestors fought hard for.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont View Post
It's interesting, but I think that really most Vermonters are more on the conservative side. Or if not conservative, than at least more moderate and laid back about politics. Burlington is mostly transplants. Most native Vermonters, whether liberal or conservative, are not as outspoken about their beliefs.
This was my experience too. I think the liberal faction of Vermont must be the most vocal, but certainly not the majority. I met/lived with way more conservative people than liberals. Human nature is a much better indicator for most areas, i.e; if you respect other people, you will get along just fine

Old 10-15-2014, 05:08 AM

238 posts, read 327,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbiker_usa View Post

Best Regard....

Political activism and expression that is not met with political expression and activism from opposing thought, will always be able to steal the spotlight. In order for more conservative/moderate views to be considered legitimate the views need to be framed from an intellectual perspective and not from a provincial one.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 AM

221 posts, read 346,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This was my experience too. I think the liberal faction of Vermont must be the most vocal, but certainly not the majority. I met/lived with way more conservative people than liberals. Human nature is a much better indicator for most areas, i.e; if you respect other people, you will get along just fine

I tend to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont