Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:30 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,198,734 times

Advertisements

Young hay isn't as much of a concern as it once was for today's horse owner since an increasing number of folks are supplementing a horse's diet with feed of 10-14% protein. So you could harvest later and sacrifice some protein levels in order to ensure the proper conditioning and color for horse folks. Last year I attended a horse forage conference and a professor from PA had a long line of boxes each with different hay samples. The audience was asked to form a consensus and order the boxes from highest to lowest levels of protein and, surprise, the consensus was mostly wrong. People were judging on appearance alone, which proved how important it was for hay to _look_ good And since most recreation horses are lightly used, a 10% protein level is sufficient, so it's not necessarily counter-productive to judge on looks with respect to horse hay, since even the worst hay at the conference was higher than 10% Plus with horses as you go up in protein, water intake and urination also increases, increasing water needs and - if they're stalled part-time - increased labor and bedding expenses.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 AM

19 posts, read 67,636 times
Default Milk delivery

I love seeing the older ways of farming coming back. It means that people are getting fed up with the big-business type of bulldozing in the farm commodities market. Consumers more and more want good food produced in a LOCAL, sustainable way. Let's keep pushing for it!
Peter

Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Horse hay!

Very interesting what took place at the conference!
Just goes to show that the old farmers who cut their hay once nearer the end of the season, after it was "twice blown" knew something about volume and total accumulated value for their stock. All with less travel over the field. Twice blown refered to grasses that had matured, cast their pollen, regrown as an understory, cast their pollen for the second "crop" and then were mown. Was a lower protein feed , but gave a large volume of hay for the winter months.
P

Old 09-04-2007, 08:01 AM

Quick question... What criteria changes one's reputation and also the little green boxes at the right on LJ ??
Peter

Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 AM

23,646 posts, read 70,634,905 times
I'm not so sure that "twice blown" is always such a good idea. It provides many aggressive weeds a chance to seed and can change the character of a pasture. Down here (Alabama) there is a weed commonly called called dog fennel that becomes obvious in straight pasture and land that isn't hayed two or three times a year. Cows won't touch it, so it just gets a chance to take over.

Skidway, the reputation refers to how many people have clicked on the "Rate this post positively" in all of your posts. The green blocks refer to the number of posts you've made. Take them with a grain of salt, but I try to keep loose track of reputation points remind me if my posts are helping people or just chatter and self-serving.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 AM

harry chickpea, thanks for the info! I understand what you are saying about self-serving chatter.
Peter

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,198,734 times
I think the reputation rating is minimally helpful because people aren't encouraged to rate posts as helpful. I appreciate the positive ratings I've gotten, but most of my positive ratings are from photos I've posted, not so much the insight I've provided while contributing on the forum I've wondered about this particular side-effect, because the "Rate this post positively" is located directly under the photo, where photo caption text (i.e., the only part of National Geographic that I read, lol) would normally appear. I wonder if in this case that the link is more obvious to folks.

Sean

Old 09-07-2007, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I think the reputation rating is minimally helpful because people aren't encouraged to rate posts as helpful. I appreciate the positive ratings I've gotten, but most of my positive ratings are from photos I've posted, not so much the insight I've provided while contributing on the forum I've wondered about this particular side-effect, because the "Rate this post positively" is located directly under the photo, where photo caption text (i.e., the only part of National Geographic that I read, lol) would normally appear. I wonder if in this case that the link is more obvious to folks.

Sean
Sean,

Just wanted to say Hi and thank you for your insightful posts. I actually found this one by searching for more of your posts after reading several that were very informative and helpful.

I am currently visiting and looking for housing in Franklin County (to rent initially). I'm relocating from Texas having decided to move closer to my mom. Much of my family on mother's side resides there and is sprinkled all over the Roanoke to Martinsville areas.

The move was a fairly quick decision and I experienced sticker price shock once I arrived here, not having paid much attention to real estate during previous visits. Being disabled living on a fixed income has presented a challenge in finding affordable rental housing in the Wirtz area that meets my needs. I'd forgotten how difficult it can be finding housing when you have pets.

Carvi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont