Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,385,059 times

Advertisements

This is typical small town crap - I've seen it on both sides of the river. If a kid does something that is flat out wrong but has a cop for a daddy you can be sure that they'll wipe the record clean. At the same time these same cops target kids driving in vehicles and look for any lame excuse to stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,563,119 times
Yeah, and if you're not with the "in" crowd and dare to be critical publicly of it, they'll target you. Personal experience there but I can't talk about it here.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM

530 posts, read 1,343,089 times
I was rear-ended a few years back while sitting at a stop light. The girl who hit me was going pretty fast, and I was sitting there at least 30 seconds before she slammed into me. Long story short, we waited about an hour for the Hartford police to show up, and the cop sat with the girl who hit me in her car for about another half hour, then came out, handed me a blank form, said fill it out and send it in, winked at the girl and said he was giving her a warning for "following too close". When I got home, I found his last name on the accident form was the same as her's! It took a few calls to the police before the chief finally admitted the cop who responded to the scene was the girl's uncle!

Following too close? She wasn't following at all. She came up on me, most likely yakking on the cell phone that she never put down the entire time we waited for the police, and ran into me lie I wasn't there.

But that sounds like small potatoes compared to what is being discussed here! But really, the cop should have recused himself. The chief said they were short-handed that day. At least be honest up front and don't treat the victim like a criminal.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM

914 posts, read 2,926,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I was rear-ended a few years back while sitting at a stop light. The girl who hit me was going pretty fast, and I was sitting there at least 30 seconds before she slammed into me. Long story short, we waited about an hour for the Hartford police to show up, and the cop sat with the girl who hit me in her car for about another half hour, then came out, handed me a blank form, said fill it out and send it in, winked at the girl and said he was giving her a warning for "following too close". When I got home, I found his last name on the accident form was the same as her's! It took a few calls to the police before the chief finally admitted the cop who responded to the scene was the girl's uncle!

Following too close? She wasn't following at all. She came up on me, most likely yakking on the cell phone that she never put down the entire time we waited for the police, and ran into me lie I wasn't there.

But that sounds like small potatoes compared to what is being discussed here! But really, the cop should have recused himself. The chief said they were short-handed that day. At least be honest up front and don't treat the victim like a criminal.
Wow, your story is disturbing but pretty typical of a small town/state. Was this in Windsor county?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM

Yep, Hartford is in Windsor county, just across the river from Hanover, NH. But I suppose this can happen in any small town, as you say. The entire Hartford police department came under scrutiny earlier this year for the way they have handled some criminal cases.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM

I think you can help the OP. Maybe you should PM them. This is the kind of stuff they were looking for.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I think you can help the OP. Maybe you should PM them. This is the kind of stuff they were looking for.
I thought the OP was looking for serious stuff where someone went to trial. The girl that hit me paid for the damage. Just should have let an unrelated officer respond!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I thought the OP was looking for serious stuff where someone went to trial. The girl that hit me paid for the damage. Just should have let an unrelated officer respond!
You said the Hartford police dept. came under scrutiny for mishandling criminal cases, right? I've found that if even there's minor wrongdoing by those in authority, you can bet there's major stuff, too. It's called a "culture of corruption" and police departments and DA's offices certianly aren't immune to it.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,834,527 times
I think this can become an interesting and informative thread. At least I hope so.

I have learned, and very much the hard way, that there can be and generally there is, a big difference between counties - a crime that occurs in one county may or may not be treated in the same manner in another county. I have learned that there are notable inconsistencies and I think that, for the most part, is judicially, unacceptable. I also realize that there may or may not be mitigating circumstances in a situation; however, that does mean nor should it mean that a case is any less substantial to be investigated and prosecuted.

I have learned, and certainly I cannot get into the specifics on this thread, that depending upon what county and which DA, if a case is not a 'slam dunk', it may not even be prosecuted. That is egregious. What does that say to a victim and I don't care if it is a non-violent serious crime and what does that say to a victim if it is a violent crime. Unacceptable.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,385,059 times
It also depends on which judge.

I am not at liberty to divulge details but I am aware of a case where an employee was let go for not being able to do his job properly.

After said employee got a friend at a state agency involved to harass the business owner (the commissioner of that agency later stepped down and the replacement apologized to my friend for what had happened and reversed the fine), said employee filed a lawsuit for wrongful termination and WON. My friend appealed the decision (he did not have kind words for the judge) and won on the appeal. At this point he said to **** with Vermont and moved several tons of equipment across the river to NH where he has happily been doing business since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont