Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,858,331 times

Advertisements

Ok - so we are getting close to the point of putting in power to our site. If we do it, we can have the phone company put their stuff in at the same time. However - we do have Comcast on our road though they stop short of our house. My question is: I have heard horrible things about Comcast. But - it would save us the $$ from having to have the phone company put in their line and Internet would be nice though I'm not sure what Internet Comcast is even offering in that area. So, I guess what I'm asking for anyone that lives in the NE Kingdom and has Comcast, what are your thoughts? Would it be worth it to ask Comcast to come to our site (and they may not) or just have the local phone line put in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
can you get DSL there?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:37 PM

43 posts, read 102,640 times
comcast works fine for me. Faster and more reliable than DSL

Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 AM

I don't know if we can get DSL. I think we're getting our house number this week so then we can get more information. It's just that Comcast here in this area (Northern Virginia) is horrid. It's very $$ and terrible service. On the other hand, Verizon FIOS rocks. We used to have DISH but got such a great deal with FIOS that we switched and wound up loving it. Obviously we will not have that choice. Heck, we may not even have Comcast as an option but we'll see. Just wondering if it is worth pursuing.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Where are you in the Kingdom again? I know Charter serves the St. Johnsbury area.
We have Comcast where we are and have no complaints.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM

I'll be in Glover off Dexter Mountain Road some time this year!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
I have Comcast hi speed in Barton for $50 bucks but only have Magic Jack for a home phone. I have my cell for the rest and that works about 70% of places. I am not big into "connections" and they don't really matter so I am happy

Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

swanstone1 - you live in Barton? I will be right down the road from you! I love Parsons!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,510 times
Crazy Eddie is the best!!!!!! And welcome to our own little place in the kingdom

Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,988 times
The Barton/Glover area is right in the heart of the NEK and loaded with good folks all around. We have Comcast for tv only and a dsl hookup for the net. We did have the Comcast internet and it worked great. It got a little pricey for me so I thought I'd try dsl and haven't really noticed any difference, except that it costs about $20 less per month.

If you have a decent southern exposure, I'd suggest getting a dish for tv. When we first moved here we had a 10' dish and we were basically our own satellite company. If something broke (and it did) we were on the hook for repairs. Then we got Primestar and it worked well. They were eventually bought out by Dish Network and we had their service for a while, but lost reception all too frequently. We don't have a clear southern exposure and a lot of trees kept mucking up our reception. So when I saw a Comcast crew stringing wire in front of our house I went out and asked the guys "Where do I sign up?"

It's been a love/hate relationship. I love the dependability. I hate paying the bill. And we don't have any movie channels. Still it's about $100 per month just for the shows that my wife enjoys and I won't begrudge her any of that. There is or was a Comcast office on East Main St. in Newport. But they never had a listed phone # so you'd have to go the office for a new remote, or in our case, a new box. Seems a rather odd way to do business these days.

I still think a satellite deal would be the best for tv if you have that clear southern exposure. But get what works best for you and say hi to the Curriers for me next time you're in their store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: