Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 16,560 times

Advertisements

may have a great job opportunity, financially and professionally, in Rutland, VT. would be relocating my wife and 3 boys (15,12,3) from the southeast. have lived in the rocky moutains, prior to kids, in a small resort town.

the appeal is the ski slopes and a smaller area compared to the large homogeneous suburban area we reside. is there a feel of community?

the high school appears to be a normal size school with typical student body? is there an adjoining community with better school option?

how much does the proximity to Killington enhance the area ? I have been and don't remember a lot of the ski road restaurants and businesses.

my boys play sports (football, baseball, basketball) and are active. seems like a good fit on the surface.

any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Rutland has community. Like anywhere, it has its problems, too. We've discussed all this on the forums. You can search "Rutland" here and read all about it.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM

are towns like proctor, clarendon, pittsford, considered part of "rutland" as bedroom type communities or are they mutually exclusive?

do they feed the same HS ?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
They have their own schools. They are in part bedroom communities to a point as many residents work in Rutland but they are distinct towns. We aren't really talking suburbia here generally. Most of these towns are quite rural. Chittenden, Wallingford, Shrewsbury and Pittsford and some others are very rural outside the town centers. Rutland Town and some of Clarendon is a little less rural than some others but is not as dense as the city either. If you have a chance, I'd pick one of those nearby towns to live in over Rutland itself. And if you can, get where you can drive around the stoplight gauntlet on route 7/main street in Rutland City on back roads and side streets.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They have their own schools. They are in part bedroom communities to a point as many residents work in Rutland but they are distinct towns. We aren't really talking suburbia here generally. Most of these towns are quite rural. Chittenden, Wallingford, Shrewsbury and Pittsford and some others are very rural outside the town centers. Rutland Town and some of Clarendon is a little less rural than some others but is not as dense as the city either. If you have a chance, I'd pick one of those nearby towns to live in over Rutland itself. And if you can, get where you can drive around the stoplight gauntlet on route 7/main street in Rutland City on back roads and side streets.

are school transfers an option?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Also have the option of Plymouth, NH

Can you guys throw out some pros and cons of comparing the communities?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
If your kids are good athletes I'd shoot for Rutland High. They play Division 1 and are a perennial powerhouse in football. I do not know how the academics are there though.
Otter Valley (Brandon/Pittsford) and Mill River (Wallingford/Clarendon) also have football but are small schools and in lower divisions.
Rutland high school is large for Vermont standards.
School transfers? If the town you live in belongs to a high school district then you do not have school choice. Some towns do not belong to a hs district-then you'd have choice. I'm not sure which if any towns near Rutland are like that. Maybe Chittenden? I'm pretty sure Danby has school choice at the high school level. Proctor has its own high school as does West Rutland. Castleton goes to Fair Haven Union HS.
Most of the towns mentioned above are what I would consider bedroom communities for Rutland. Some in Wallingford/Danby commute to work in Manchester to the south.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Plymouth is MUCH smaller than Rutland. I'd check to make sure the high school even has a football team. Since Tenney Mountain closed skiing is further away from Plymouth than it would be from Rutland.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Some of the towns surrounding Rutland go to Rutland High School. One of my kids went there and 1 went to MSJ, the local catholic school. I was very pleased with the academics and opportunities at RHS and felt they kept a good eye on the kids even though it's a large high school by Vermont standards. Plenty of rural towns in close proximity to Rutland city that send kids to RHS if that interests you.
Having a premier ski area plus many more within an easy drive is nice if skiing is important to you. Rutland even has a ski team. Pine hill park has an extensive Mountain biking and hiking trail system if you're into hiking or biking. The Long Trail is a few minutes outside of Rutland and there are hiking opportunties galore here.
Community? Read the stories about Vermonters dealing with Hurricane Irene.
It can be quiet here and winters can go on a bit too long but as long as you're employed in a decent job, one of the lowest stress places to live in the country. of course to some people that means boring. Your call ! Good luck !

Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,368 times
Rutland is not the more community driven place in Vermont. I would say that there are betters towns to reside in in Vermont like anywhere but Rutland. If you are looking for a good wholesome place to raise kids Rutland is not the answer. You sounded to innocent and unknowing, it would be a shame for you to move to Rutland blind and then find out it is a terrible place to live. I myself would probably never move back and I have loved ones who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont