Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times

Advertisements

Also, read the book "Outcasts United" for an indication of many of the issues involved, including racism in the U.S. against people who have already survived racism in their own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
It's not like they have a choice of where to live. Basically, they are refugees, often fleeing from war zones. They come through the refugee resettlement program.

Still, you bring up some good points. Once they learn the language, develop some marketable skills, etc., do they stay or head for warmer places?
Good question. I would wonder if they've grown accustomed to their new communities and they ebb and flow of life there, and are grateful for the jobs they have and the new life free of strife, that they remain -- despite the cold climate?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 PM

530 posts, read 1,341,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Good question. I would wonder if they've grown accustomed to their new communities and they ebb and flow of life there, and are grateful for the jobs they have and the new life free of strife, that they remain -- despite the cold climate?
I think the initial adjustment would have been very difficult, but once you have a job, a home, family and friends around you, then the allure of a warmer clime may not be so enticing. The devil you know.....

Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,826,427 times
Good posts on this thread. I did read somewhere that they were "placed" in a couple locations initially when they came to the US (Minnesota, and the Atlanta area). Once here, they are free to move anywhere they want to. I did also read that there was an uproar when buses arrived full of the Somali refugees in Lewiston, and that the mayor and other city officials had no idea beforehand, and were concerned about the lack of resources. I hope things have settled down for them regardless of where they ended up.

With so much rural poverty in New England states like Vermont and Maine, I would have thought there would have been resentment from locals if immigrants took jobs at LL Bean, for example. But I'm only guessing. I did read that they didn't like the Atlanta area, but I don't know why.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...out-inequality

Seems the immigrant students from Africa may/may not be having problems fitting in.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 28,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good posts on this thread. I did read somewhere that they were "placed" in a couple locations initially when they came to the US (Minnesota, and the Atlanta area). Once here, they are free to move anywhere they want to. I did also read that there was an uproar when buses arrived full of the Somali refugees in Lewiston, and that the mayor and other city officials had no idea beforehand, and were concerned about the lack of resources. I hope things have settled down for them regardless of where they ended up.

With so much rural poverty in New England states like Vermont and Maine, I would have thought there would have been resentment from locals if immigrants took jobs at LL Bean, for example. But I'm only guessing. I did read that they didn't like the Atlanta area, but I don't know why.
I see that you are from the Great Lakes area (MN?) and not Vermont, so I'm curious why you care at all. Also, for those who keep mentioning the weather in Vermont, that might be a big shock to someone moving from somewhere else in the US, but given the cultural differences of life in VT and life in Somalia, our weather is the least of their barriers to overcome.

Your questions and comments (and I have read them all) seem to be either troll baiting or thinly-veiled racism. I'm not sure why you care or what your concern is. If you care so much, befriend one of them and ask them how they tolerate the weather, etc.

Nobody who is in this country legally is "taking jobs" from anyone else, since they have the same right to work. That's almost as bad as people insinuating that flatlanders are "taking jobs" from "real" or "native" Vermonters.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 AM

459 posts, read 1,037,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTisforMe View Post
I see that you are from the Great Lakes area (MN?) and not Vermont, so I'm curious why you care at all. Also, for those who keep mentioning the weather in Vermont, that might be a big shock to someone moving from somewhere else in the US, but given the cultural differences of life in VT and life in Somalia, our weather is the least of their barriers to overcome.

Your questions and comments (and I have read them all) seem to be either troll baiting or thinly-veiled racism. I'm not sure why you care or what your concern is. If you care so much, befriend one of them and ask them how they tolerate the weather, etc.

Nobody who is in this country legally is "taking jobs" from anyone else, since they have the same right to work. That's almost as bad as people insinuating that flatlanders are "taking jobs" from "real" or "native" Vermonters.

There is quite a bit of local resentment in Vermont, actually. There are rumors that families are no longer being sent to Washington County for that reason.
The problem in VT seems to be the influx of Somalis who were originally settled somewhere else. We have a ton of in-migration, and the state isn't really set up to handle it. Many are coming to Burlington, where the housing crunch is already in full blown crisis mode. That creates additional resentment from locals, especially those waiting for years with a section 8 voucher in hand.
So, to answer the OP's question... yes.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
It's not racist, it's cultural. When you take people from a country in a state of total anarchy where violence, stealing and radical islam dominates the culture, and put them in a rural state where people have come to expect a complete lack of such things, you're going to have trouble. Add in the fact the government is paying for them when many residents can't even afford to live here, and it just adds to the problems.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 AM

459 posts, read 1,037,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's not racist, it's cultural. When you take people from a country in a state of total anarchy where violence, stealing and radical islam dominates the culture, and put them in a rural state where people have come to expect a complete lack of such things, you're going to have trouble. Add in the fact the government is paying for them when many residents can't even afford to live here, and it just adds to the problems.
Also, at least in the burlington area, it's not the moneyed progressives who are hurt by their prescence. The people who actually do lose jobs to the somali's at places like autumn harp and twincraft are the people who are in the most precarious financial situations. So, in a sense, its easy for a teacher or lawyer or doctor to label people who complain about the amount of immigration racist, without seeing that its the poorest locals that are hit the hardest.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM

21 posts, read 45,416 times
The resettlement agencies are required to spread refugees around the country so one state or area/city doesn't bear a disproportionate financial burden, etc.....maybe also so they will have employment opportunities....if you settle all 500,000 refugees and asylees we take every year only in "traditional" areas where they have family, you would have too many people in one area who need jobs, and perhaps don't have the requisite job skills or language skills yet. Kind of a share the burden approach. Of course, they can move away after a time if they want, but chances are they have made friends and feel at home or have a job in their new location and decide to stay. If they all went only to where their kin were or to similar climates, we would have too great a refugee population in L.A., NYC, Miami, Washington DC (many many somalis there), and Chicago. I've been to northern Somalia and Djibouti and Ethiopia, visiting the refugee camps. Mixed feelings about that area and the reasons they are refugees (in part, from their own cultural tradition of endless clan rivalry, and men chewing "chat" to get high every day, starting at 12 noon until the end of the day. Hard on the women).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont