Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,842,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
The drug issue came up in connection with VT being a mecca for people - whether political refugee or deadbeat - to come to VT because of the generous government freebies, paid for by the likes of us who are propping up this welfare state.

And MRV, your grandparents must have been ahead of their time if they escaped from the Nazis in Austria in the 1900s. My mother and her family made it out of Czechoslovakia in the 1930s to escape the Nazis. They did not get any free cars or other handouts when they got to Ellis Island, nor were there ESL classes in the schools.

Sure we could use law abiding immigrants and transplants who want to come to Vermont and work as hard as Ethan Allen. Unfortunately that is no longer the type of person that the state is attracting.
I guess my grandfather was ahead of the rest. Before Ancestry.com started charging I found his entry(1905) in the logbook, in his handwriting. He came here with $30. But, for me, that really doesn't mean a hill of beans in respect to today's immigrants. That was then, this is now. Now, there seems to alot of American born ripping off the system. Conversly there are also plenty going far beyond the norm to be a good citizens and neighbors. It's not so cut and dry for me as it is you. People should be judged as individuals not pre-judged simply because of where they were born or came from.

Can't argue with your points but I feel it's a diferent time, diferent circumstances. While I realize that some immigrants are not law abiding my personal view is that the majority are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 AM

13 posts, read 28,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Why are people so unwilling to see that large amounts of heroin and crack are coming to Burlington from NYC? Is it the implications?
Why are you so unwilling to see that a good portion (not 100%, but more than you care to admit) of the drug crime in Vermont is committed by people from here originally?

How are prescription drugs getting to Burlington? The people who have held up banks and pharmacies and the two recently arrested for breaking into houses in Burlington, were they from NYC? Is it some drug dealer in NYC's fault that these addicts need cash to support their habits? Or are many of our addicts hooked on Oxy and other R/x painkillers in an addiction cycle that starts and ends right here?

Bottom line is, you seem to have an attitude that "native Vermonters" are somehow untouchable, more deserving of social benefits, free from addiction and crime, and slighted left and right by some giant flatlander conspiracy. All states have drug addicts, all have immigrants, all have welfare recipients (some legitimate, some gaming the system), all have homeless populations, all have taxpayers who put in more than they get out, all have minorities, all have residents who can trace their ancestry many generations in that state and all have transplants from elsewhere in the US. You seem to be unusually bitter about....something. Talk to anyone over 50 in this country and they will tell you that things aren't the way they used to be, that there is some negative 'big city' influence, increased crime, etc. That's just the reality of living in 2012 regardless of where you are.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM

459 posts, read 1,038,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTisforMe View Post
Why are you so unwilling to see that a good portion (not 100%, but more than you care to admit) of the drug crime in Vermont is committed by people from here originally?

How are prescription drugs getting to Burlington? The people who have held up banks and pharmacies and the two recently arrested for breaking into houses in Burlington, were they from NYC? Is it some drug dealer in NYC's fault that these addicts need cash to support their habits? Or are many of our addicts hooked on Oxy and other R/x painkillers in an addiction cycle that starts and ends right here?

Bottom line is, you seem to have an attitude that "native Vermonters" are somehow untouchable, more deserving of social benefits, free from addiction and crime, and slighted left and right by some giant flatlander conspiracy. All states have drug addicts, all have immigrants, all have welfare recipients (some legitimate, some gaming the system), all have homeless populations, all have taxpayers who put in more than they get out, all have minorities, all have residents who can trace their ancestry many generations in that state and all have transplants from elsewhere in the US. You seem to be unusually bitter about....something. Talk to anyone over 50 in this country and they will tell you that things aren't the way they used to be, that there is some negative 'big city' influence, increased crime, etc. That's just the reality of living in 2012 regardless of where you are.

Native VT'ers are anything but untouchable.

I'm not as naive as you think. I've lived in big cities, I've lived in small towns, I've lived in a few different states.

What I see here is a state of 600,000 people being overrun by people from other states here for benefits. It's unsustainable. Something has to give. As someone posted earlier, the Somalians leave housing in another state to show up here. They get space at COTS and they leave with a voucher, while local families leave homeless.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 11,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTisforMe View Post
If you are going to state the following things as facts, please provide citations to back up your statements on:
1) people flocking here more and more
2) they all get free housing and free vehicals (sic)

So, it seems as if you think that Somali immigrants are basically living the life of Riley here, no struggles at all, not with language, climate, racism, lack of education, etc.

Can you tell the Bosnian refugees when you see them too? I hate to keep bringing up the Bosnians, but it's a similar situation only they're not quite as immediately visible. Are you disgusted by them too?

I never claimed to be an "expert" or have any data to back up what i'm saying. Its my opinion. Sorry if you dont like it. I have no citations, just what i see every day. and yes, bosnians are here... however, they seem to get by without as much of a handout. strange isn't it? And i'm sure it is difficult and a culture shock for them, but most of my disgust is with our state not the individual. I want my voucher, and car, and free childcare. But seeing how I was born and raised here... i can be homeless. It seems backwards to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont