Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,127,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizw703 View Post
There is NOTHING here for children unless they hunt, fish, hike or do sports.
That's a lot of options, healthy ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,972,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's a lot of options, healthy ones!
Clearly, NOTHING for kids to do lol.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM

536 posts, read 848,887 times
CGregor, doesn't Springfield have the beautiful stone house for sale? Too much house for me, but they have some wonderful choices where you are.

How would you compare yourself to Weathersfield? (I may have misspelled.) I have a friend who loves it there but can't really get a bead on communities I haven't visited personally. I grew up in a factory town and I loved it. Springfield's history is certainly something to be proud of.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:41 PM

809 posts, read 1,001,738 times
Ladyalicemore, in my opinion Springfield has a lot of beautiful houses for sale. As I'm not in need of a house, I don't pay much attention to the market, so don't know about a stone house.

Weathersfield is extremely diverse geographically-- four or five ZIP codes, probably as many phone trunk lines, and not very much in the way of a capital base. I'm sure that most working people commute five miles or more to their job. A fair number of Springfield parents have moved there with their kids; I don't know why (presumably they'd rather see their bears and deer in the woods rather than a few blocks from downtown...

Our history is something to be proud of. I just wish people were able to learn a lesson from what Wall Street did to devastate it, so we could keep it from happening again and again and again...

Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,557,293 times
Weathersfield has High School choice (at least for now) so that might be a reason behind some moves. Currently, about 50% of Weathersfield students attend Springfield HS, and 50% attend Windsor. Much of that is geography driven. (rough numbers)

Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 AM

150 posts, read 218,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Are you fixed on the Bennington area, or are you willing to look farther afield in Vermont. If the latter is the case, I'll be happy to promote Springfield!
Keep trying, Chuck, but the only place worse than Bennington is Springfield, sorry to say.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 PM

809 posts, read 1,001,738 times
Hey, Sovertennis, Springfield is a pioneer town!

If you want to shape a society, to build a future, to make positive changes, Springfield is the place to be. We don't try to attract people who want to be entertained with leaf season and moose sitings; we aim for people who want a better education for their kids, surprisingly affordable housing, neighbors who cooperate to care for their neighborhoods and an environment in which ideas matter a lot and hope is an energy fuel.

If you want a Horatian life, experiencing the pleasant decline of mortal power as you enjoy a glass of wine with friends on the terrace at day's end, you want Woodstock or Weston. But if you want to engage with life, to bend the future for your kids or carve a modest niche for yourself and your family by engaging in the community, then you want Springfield.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:06 PM

542 posts, read 707,421 times
Moving from Boca Raton to Vermont? Now that is something you do not hear often. I have to say I have never been overly impressed with Bennington. Has a bit of the "town that time forgot", but not in a good way. A feeling of decline is in the air. I suggest a ride North of Bennington.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,662,678 times
My vote goes to Wimington. I second or third Bennington. There seems to be nothing wrong with that town. Brattlebporo is a great little city. If I could, I'd move there myself.

Lot's of open minded churches in the Southern VT area. As a minister, that's a good sign to me!

Nothing for kids to do in VERMONT? OK, maybe they don't have a Buster's or a Chuckey Cheese. Or an amusement park.I see that as a good thing! Get involved with the beautiful outdoors and all that nature provides! Are there poor folks? So help out! At a food [pantry or a soup kitchen. Learn an out door sport. Skiing, X country skiiing, snowboarding etc. Learn to to these things!

Photography? Vermont has such beautiful scenery - FOUR GLORIOUS Seasons! Take pictures and learn to be proficient at it. Vermont is ALWAYS beautiful.

Learn to kyak, hiking, camping. Take advantage of the Great Outdoors.

Who says that a "suburban child centered childhood" is not always the best.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:54 PM

496 posts, read 469,442 times
I've lived in VT my entire life. I'm moving out in a few years because I hate the cold. However, my kids always had things to do-besides sitting inside with xbox. They were/are into sports, hunt, my youngest and oldest LOVE the water so they kayak, water ski, go tubing. They ride dirt bikes, go down hill mountain biking, golf. They stay busy and healthy. We live in the country, they don't hang out on the street corner causing trouble. I'm not in love with VT for a few different reasons but it's a great environment for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont