Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,971,618 times

Advertisements

RDI in Newport is hiring. It's a call service center that handles catalog mail orders. They expect you to be able to type pretty well, (I can do that) they expect you to be pleasant (I can do that too) and they expect you to up-sell every single caller. In other words if someone calls in to order a shirt from LL Bean, you're supposed to try to sell them three. (I can't do that)

I went for a group interview last week. There were 10 other applicants in the room and when we finished there were another dozen waiting in the hallway for their turn. The ad is still running in the paper. What isn't advertised is the starting wage: $8.50 an hour. I'm really hoping that they will call me so that I may tell them, as pleasantly as possible, of course - to kiss their corporate ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM

18,333 posts, read 26,588,978 times
I've turned down jobs like that. I couldn't try to talk someone into doing that. $8.50 an hour is pretty insulting but seems the norm in this state. The state needs more jobs, but jobs that pay a liveable wage and jobs that don't result in destroying the state in the process. I look at places like Killington and Stowe and see things I hope the rest of the state never becomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont