Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherVT View Post
I moved here from upstate NY and I love it here. Sometimes I entertain moving to try someplace new but I don't think I could ever leave. I live Burlington. Its a nice small town with a lot going on. Good culture. I would say its safe. Our main problem is some areas of town do have thefts from people looking for drug money. I would not say its bad. The worst we had was someone was robbed and shot but survived thankfully. It was in the bad section of town which really isn't that bad compared to some cities. You would probably laugh at it when you see it and people tell you its the bad area.

IT jobs in Burlington there are plenty. Check Dealer.com. THey are always hiring and are one of the fastest growing companies around here. they are in Downtown burlington and one of the coolest companies to work for. They have beer fridays, indoor tennis court, free massages, gym, and the christmas party ever. Basically they are like google but way smaller. We also have an IBM plant and plenty of other industries you could get work in.
Weather can be rough in the winter but its absolutely amazing in the Summer. We live a 1/4 mile from lake champlain and they a nice bike path and plenty of parks right on the lake. burlington has lots of events. Mardi gras parade, jazzfest, arthops, music fests, marathon, farmers market etc. the quality of food here is really good compared to other parts of the county. A lot of micro brewers here too if you like that.
Taxes are pretty high here. Sales tax is around 7%. Meals and alchohol is really high like 10% so going out to eat is expensive. Property taxes are high. But no tolls on highways.
Housing is expensive in Burlington compared to wages.
Traffic isn't bad. In burlington you have a few sections that get busy from 7-9am and 4-6pm. But compared to anywhere else its nothing.
Hope this helps

Do not trust the rosy jobs picture painted here. Vt is an old, aging state that is suffering an extreme "brain drain" due to the lack of decent jobs. The poster mentions dealer.com, which is essentially the only game in town. IBM is constantly threatening to leave and is contracting. In fact, much of their space is now rented out to state govt. The demographic trends in the state suggest coming budget problems that will be serious and will change the complexion of the state. The warnings about housing costs are real but neglected to mention that was is here is generally in horrible shape (think lead paint and asbestos).
Vt is OK if you're 35 and retiring on family money. Otherwise... stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,843,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
The poster mentions dealer.com, which is essentially the only game in town. IBM is constantly threatening to leave and is contracting. .
Nothing could be further from the truth as evidenced by last weeks Vermont Tech Jam. There are dozens of high tech firms, some somewhat new, in Vermont who employ many like MyWebGrocer who bought the Champlain Mill in Winooski for their headquarters, they are expanding and hiring. Tech Jam held a job fair as there are many jobs availible.
Vermont Tech Jam: From Textile to Tech-Style

Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,486 times
Yes there is some high tech in Burlington and immediate area. They only interact with each other. If you are elsewhere in the state, forget it. You might as well be in MA or NH and frankly you'd be better off there.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,498 times
Default Mainer's View

If its close to the ocean you're interested in have you considered Portland Maine? Its a great city of about 70,000. If your heart is headed for VT, then if you settle near Burlington the access to lake Champlain is fabulous. We visited there for a weekend and the boys thought it to be an ocean,its that big!! I could leave Maine and settle there as well knowing Lake Champlain is close by for when the need for vast views of water hit me. Vermont and Maine get very cold, damp, and yes the skies are a gray that lasts too long and why so many fly south to escape it during the winter months, we call them snowbirds. Come February the true cabin fever of misery will have you in its grip. That said if you're one to utilize the skiing and winter sports you may get by just fine. Vermont is an expensive place to live, taxes are high and rents not a plenty to choose from, we have family in Burlington, Rutland and Chittenden. Also if you have a strong feeling for politics keep in mind Vt is a Very Liberal/Progressive state. As far as another post given the low wages, yes its true so how frugal can you be? is the trade off worth it? most would say yes. Good Luck.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,978,641 times
If you can afford to live here and like the weather, it's a great place to live. Every state has people who love it and people who can't wait to leave. You can ask around but living someplace is way different from visiting or vacationing.
If you like cold and snow, expensive living, low crime, and a more low key lifestyle, then VT may be for you. I'd like warmer weather, but then you get more storms. Lower expenses, higher crime rates. There is no perfect place, just a good fit for YOU and your family. But, if you do find the perfect spot, please let me know.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth as evidenced by last weeks Vermont Tech Jam. There are dozens of high tech firms, some somewhat new, in Vermont who employ many like MyWebGrocer who bought the Champlain Mill in Winooski for their headquarters, they are expanding and hiring. Tech Jam held a job fair as there are many jobs availible.
Vermont Tech Jam: From Textile to Tech-Style
I forgot mywebgrocer. That's two counting dealer.com. Seriously, does two companies equal "dozens" of firms?I saw the ads for techjam and besides mwg and dealer the sponsors were colleges and state agencies.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM

662 posts, read 1,263,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I forgot mywebgrocer. That's two counting dealer.com. Seriously, does two companies equal "dozens" of firms?I saw the ads for techjam and besides mwg and dealer the sponsors were colleges and state agencies.
So very true,Dealer is always hiring or so it seems.I think It's like a decade ago when I would go to a job fair and without a doubt there was always Husky Injection Molding Systems Jobs & Careers in Milton, VT

This company was there collecting applications like dealer but never hiring.It was like they got some kind of kickback from the state fror being there.

As far as Dealer.Com I hear they are full of drama and no one last long...they quite!

Grocer is owned by Tarrent's son I believe and has the same rep.

If you're a female there's this http://burlington.craigslist.org/tch/3314052241.html

Last edited by Chadd1014; 11-12-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM

15 posts, read 32,373 times
Still Moving to Vermont? Its a (2) hour drive to the Ocean from Southern Vermont. There are so many local lakes, rivers and parks that you will not miss that Ocean unless you surf. I came to Vermont from the beach in Connecticut many years ago now. No regrets. (4) seasons for sure here. It is snowing as i write this ... but lightly. Last two winters have been very mild but a nice break from the shovel.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,868,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Be careful. TN is one of the lowest tax states and Vermont is one of the highest tax states.

TN sales tax is so high because there is almost no other tax in TN. Sales tax is something based on your actual usage, something you can control to an extent. Vermont's property tax is through the roof, something you can't control. Even if you plan to rent, those property taxes are transferred to you in higher housing costs than TN. Income tax is another huge difference. TN income tax is super low, literally zero tax on salaries. Vermont's income tax is high by comparison. Income is another thing you don't have much control over. So, you're running away from TN because of high sales tax but you'll be paying higher tax in VT. Your higher VT housing costs and income tax will be much more expensive than the sales tax you are paying in TN.

How do I know all this? Because I seriously considered relocating to TN to take advantage of its low tax system.
My aunt and uncle couldn't wait to get out of Vermont and to Tennessee where they touted that they would have more $$ in their pockets because of the low taxes and were just downright tired of Vermont's high property taxes (they lived in Chittenden County). However - they are paying significantly higher insurances rates both on their house and cars. It almost evens out in the end. They don't tout that it's cheaper anymore....

Any state will be a trade off. Any place a person lives will be a trade off. It's just a matter of what you prefer and where your priorities lie.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM

26 posts, read 89,686 times
I moved here from North Florida 7 years ago. I moved for many of the same reasons you are considering. Here is what I have found.

Crime is probably near the lowest in the nation, real Mayberry type towns to raise your kids in. The public schools here are of very expensive private school caliber anywhere else. Very nice.

Sun may be a deal breaker for you if you like it. The number of sunny days in Vermont was a plus for me. I like it cloudy.

Outdoor activities are very nice, lots of hiking, fishing, Camping and skiing, but if you are into hunting, Vermont is not so great. They have a two to three week rifle hunting season and you are only allowed to kill one deer. That was a shock coming from the south.

The commute to work is like a dream come true. I live in one of those smalls town and commute to Burlington and the interstate here has less traffic than any you have ever used. I too used to sit in bumper to bumper hours long morning commutes before moving here.

I also work in IT and the jobs market is pretty good.

I know you have probably already heard that Vermont is very liberal, but whatever you think you know, double that for the Burlington area. It is still a great place to live and I would still make the move, but the word liberal may not even cover what Northwestern Vermonters are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont