Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,402,144 times

Advertisements

based on what you said you're looking for Kroth I will guarantee that you will regret moving to Vermont if you do so. It is nowhere near the Atlantic in practical terms of day trips. Also the job market in Vermont let alone the IT job market is not good at all. I am in IT and live in southern NH. You would be much better off in southeastern NH if you're looking for an IT job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 32,373 times
March ... and ... Still winter here in Vermont. Dark skies. More than two feet of snow on the ground and another 12" expected. Takes a certain kind of tough! If you can run your business from home / computer... your all set!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM

36 posts, read 37,145 times
lower crime, definitely. Outdoors? you better like winter. As far as going to acity, Montreal is your best bet.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM

809 posts, read 1,001,738 times
If you are a typical Tennesseean, you will probably find Vermont politics unpalatable. We complain about taxes, but we want good public schools, good public recreation facilities and good government workers. We will pay through the nose for private schools rather than try use the public-convversion-to-charter school dodge common in many other states (e.g., Chicago, New Orleans)to impoverish the education of our neighbors' kids. Taxes are high, but we view them as investment, and it shows in the state's quality of life figures-- most of them are among the highest in the nation. We also value community participation. Pitch in and help, be it a town's political committee (run for Justice of the Peace) the town budget committee the library board or the Parent-Child Center.

You're welcome to grouse about taxes and government, but unless you're willing to sustain what's good and change what needs it, you'd be better off moving someplace else.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM

317 posts, read 749,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
If you are a typical Tennesseean, you will probably find Vermont politics unpalatable. We complain about taxes, but we want good public schools, good public recreation facilities and good government workers. We will pay through the nose for private schools rather than try use the public-convversion-to-charter school dodge common in many other states (e.g., Chicago, New Orleans)to impoverish the education of our neighbors' kids. Taxes are high, but we view them as investment, and it shows in the state's quality of life figures-- most of them are among the highest in the nation. We also value community participation. Pitch in and help, be it a town's political committee (run for Justice of the Peace) the town budget committee the library board or the Parent-Child Center.

You're welcome to grouse about taxes and government, but unless you're willing to sustain what's good and change what needs it, you'd be better off moving someplace else.
Who's to say what's good and what needs changing? One person's change is another persons nightmare.

I could be wrong but I think I had a dream where Bernie Sanders was a Justice Of The Peace at one time!

I know for a fact he was homeless reading poetry to whoever would listen in City Hall Park at one time.

So see if we all believe- even we can become millionaires...what a ride

Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,754 times
Quote:

The amount of money spent does not equal better education or anything for that matter. Taxes are getting out of control (top 5 in the country) with mediocre incomes. As a perfect example, when the US Department of Education looked at test scores, Florida of all states was ranked higher than Vermont. People need to look at the bottom line. Everything we like to say we are so good at means nothing if people do not want to live here. As much as that sounds appealing to many, the state needs growth to sustain itself. If nothing more than older people are living here requiring public assistance to make ends meet, we are doomed as a state. Vermont was one of two states during the last census with not only negative population growth, but we are very close to being the oldest state in the country. These should be frightening statistics for anyone living in the state.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 PM

Sorry, but NAEP ranked Vermont as superior in math scores; I couldn't find info on other subjects. Florida was about average nationally.

A state population aging is of no particular significance. As the population ages, it creates a demand for different goods and services, and in Vermont's case, those aging people for the most part are quite able to pay for them.

Vermonters who care are in a position to know to sustain what's good and change what needs changing. That's why we vote. And it's why we pay taxes.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,754 times
Quote:
Sorry, but NAEP ranked Vermont as superior in math scores; I couldn't find info on other subjects. Florida was about average nationally.

A state population aging is of no particular significance. As the population ages, it creates a demand for different goods and services, and in Vermont's case, those aging people for the most part are quite able to pay for them.

Vermonters who care are in a position to know to sustain what's good and change what needs changing. That's why we vote. And it's why we pay taxes.
Recent testing across Vermont, found that only 65 percent of third to eighth grade students and just 36 percent of 11th-graders were proficient in math. The state also recorded poor results in science too, with only 53 percent of elementary school students meeting the proficient standard. Only 29 percent in middle school and to 30 percent in high school met the state standard. If you consider that an investment in our future, I don't want to invest in what you are investing in.
An aging population is a huge issue. There are more people out of the work force and it puts a bigger demand on retired people. I read in another post you are able to get by on $30,000/yr. You are relying on tax breaks to help you get by without question. As the population ages, older people will be responsible for more financially in the state. I assume you have not lived in other states, so you are probably not aware, but Vermont is consistently a top ten tax burden state. Most in the state can not afford to pay full taxes in the state. Over 60% of the state households rely on the property tax rebate. Having high taxes is not as big of an issue as long as incomes are adequate. Vermont incomes do not correlate with taxes. Not even close. There is little economic opportunity in the state and this is why our young people are leaving. You may want to believe an aging population is not a problem, but even good old Montpelier is sweating bullets. Our lawmakers know this is a huge problem and they are looking to other states such as Maine for answers. If you don't believe me, contact your local Representative and ask he/she how bad the problem is. If the state became a little more business friendly, that would be a start. The state ranks in the top 5 least business friendly states in the country. We won't get very far with that type of outlook. Just take a look at the number of companies in the recent past that are pulling out of the state. The number is mind blowing.
I'm getting to the point where I don't even trust Montpelier. They are so out of touch with the residents of the state it's not even funny. Thirty-five local districts rejected their school boards' budget requests last month. That's about 1/4 of the student population in the state. What does Montpelier do anyway, they increased the property tax rate. I thought the Gov. said he would not increase taxes? Shame on us for voting for him or trusting him.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 PM

I do not get one single tax break, except for checking the "over 65" box on the Federal return. I can't imagine any single person not being able to do the same. Of course, I do my own firewood, so that helps...

I'd appreciate it if you'd cite your sources for the testing data. The Dept. of Ed-- US-- had nothing and kicked me over to the other site. And I found that Vermont outranked Florida in all the other categories as well. On the other hand, I don't watch Fox News, so maybe I missed something.

I've done quality of life comparisons with other states and find that there are very few that exceed Vermont-- and they usually do much better in per capita state GDP. Which says a lot for our willingness to pay more in taxes so that we live much better than do people in most states.

The worst thing that can happen to any kid graduating is to stay in the state. They need to get out and see what life is like elsewhere. The ones who come back will REALLY appreciate what they left behind. The ones who don't leave grow to be sourpusses and crabby to an extreme.

The aging of the state is not a problem. Check out the income data by age, and you will see that most of us old fogies are quite well off! We bring our money along with our failing knees and heart medication. An aging population represents new economic opportunities for the younger, who serve us as doctors, gerontologists, dietitians, nursing home staff, and so forth. Just because people get old doesn't mean the state is going to shrivel.

And when we have universal health care coverage starting in 2017, watch a flood of entrepreneurs arrive to benefit from it, people who have been prevented from starting their business due to lack of affordable health insurance. There will be job opportunities created galore.

As for taxes, Vermont's system, like that of most other states, relies most heavily on the bottom 60%. The top 5% has the greatest tax breaks and the lowest total tax load of any group. I could go on a long time about this. The basic problem with the property tax is that 250 years ago, property was land, water, trees, etc. Today, most property is actually equities-- and we don't tax that worth beans! If we had a Wall Street transaction tax on every trade, we could get rid of the present property tax. But we're not that clear-thinking yet...

Last edited by cgregor; 04-05-2014 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 07:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,486 times
Just a lil fact checkin' here....

Quote:
Rep. Anne Donahue, R- Northfield, said Vermont already asks its wealthiest residents to shoulder a disproportionately high share of government expenses. Donahue said the top 13 percent of tax filers pay 65 percent of revenues. The bottom 60 percent, meanwhile, accounts for only 9 percent of the pie.
Tax Hike On Wealthy Shot Down In Vermont House | Vermont Public Radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont