Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 PM

130 posts, read 277,283 times

Advertisements

Folks, it's LEGAL to pass in VT. Yes, that's correct, it's legal to over take another vehicle.

I apologize that when I'm driving on 22a, Rt. 7 or the superhighway that is Rt. 17 west of the Addsion 4 corners that I'm usually only go 5-7 mph OVER the speed limit. I know I'm holding you up. I know you're very important. I know you're in a hurry. I know it's driving you crazy that I'm not driving even faster over the speed limit than I'm already going. I know you think sitting 10' off my bumper might get me to drive faster.

But ya know what, if you move your steering wheel slightly to the left, accelerate and then back to the right you would be in front of me and be able to go any speed you'd like. Given the fact that many parts of 22a/7 and west Rt.17 have some of the longest straights in the state, you might just be able to squeeze by. Ya think? [re: steering wheel movement You actually have to move the wheel left, right a bit, go straight, right and then left a bit if you want to stay on the road. Sorry to confuse you but apparently it's easily done]

It's actually pretty funny to slow down to about 30 mph on a long straight and have some idiot that's sitting on my bumper slow down, still not pass and get furious.........We won't even confuse those clueless drivers that tailgate for miles by discussing how it's legal in VT to overtake on a double yellow line.

As an aside;

If you're driving north on Rt.7 40 mph with a mile of traffic backed up behind you, please don't mat it and go 70 mph up the passing zone north of Charlotte and then drop back to 40 mph when the double lanes end.

Bonus driving tip: You can also use those mirrors in your vehicle to check traffic BEHIND you and not just to check out your 'look' and make sure you've got your swerve on.

Thank you for your attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM

188 posts, read 191,642 times
I'm a 5 mph over the limit kind of guy because doing the actual speed limit here in NJ is like inviting lethal road rage. Even at 5 over I get the same kind of nonsense from other drives you describe, even on this state's many multi-lane highways.
I'm sorry to hear it's not any different in VT.

Everyone nowadays is in a big rush to get nowhere. They need to slow down and enjoy the trip. Speeding and getting all worked up doesn't get you there any faster. Someone should remind them, at the ultimate completion of the whole journey, none of us are going an deeper than 6 feet.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,486 times
Heck not only is it legal to pass in VT, it is legal to pass crossing a double yellow line. That one freaks out some of the tourists.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,679,264 times
I had a Jersey Jack@** pass me and two other cars on the shoulder of Rt. 4.
His wheels went off the road slightly so the truck started swaying back and forth violently when he steered left to get back into the road. He didnt crash(this time), but, c'mon people . . . what are you thinking ??!?!?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 AM

819 posts, read 1,498,785 times
Never knew it was legal on the double yellow line thing....then again, on a long straight with double yellow the lines have never sopped me from passing a slower car that I needed to. Rarely is someone going slow enough that I want to pass, I'm usually a 5-10mph over kinda guy.

So in those 40mph zones on Rt2 I'll be doing 50ish and the 45s I'll be doing 50-55 or so.....depending on road conditions...and what vehicle I'm rolling in that day.

It is funny to see how people would rather freak out than just pass.....

Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 PM

129 posts, read 235,229 times
Did they have Massachusetts plates? I bet they had Massachusetts plates...

Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,390,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Heck not only is it legal to pass in VT, it is legal to pass crossing a double yellow line. That one freaks out some of the tourists.
True. And no one from out of state knows this, which probably leads to the tailgating I witness most days on my way to and from my office in Stowe.

However, there are a few instances where you can't pass. You can't pass in a school zone, on a blind curve and in some other potentially dangerous situation that I can't recall at the moment. Maybe someone who learned to drive here remembers from their DMV test.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM

188 posts, read 191,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
True. And no one from out of state knows this, which probably leads to the tailgating I witness most days on my way to and from my office in Stowe.

However, there are a few instances where you can't pass. You can't pass in a school zone, on a blind curve and in some other potentially dangerous situation that I can't recall at the moment. Maybe someone who learned to drive here remembers from their DMV test.
I found the statues online. I'm supposing they're current.

The Vermont Statutes Online

§ 1035. Limitations
(a) No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless authorized by the provisions of this chapter and unless the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit overtaking and passing to be completed without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or of any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle shall return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, if the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching vehicle.
(b) A vehicle shall not pass another from the rear under any of the following conditions:
(1) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the highway where the driver's view is in any way obstructed;
(2) When approaching within 100 feet of, or traversing, any intersection or railroad grade crossing unless otherwise indicated by official traffic control devices; or
(3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.
(c) The foregoing limitations do not apply upon a one-way roadway, or when subdivision 1031(a)(2) of this title applies, or where a vehicle is turning left into an alley, private road or driveway. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. March 1, 1973; amended 1995, No. 73 (Adj. Sess.), § 2.)

§ 1036. No-passing zones
(a) The traffic committee is authorized to determine those portions of any highway under its jurisdiction where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may, by appropriate signs indicate the beginning and end of the zones, and when the signs are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person, every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions.
(b) Where signs are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a) of this section no driver shall at any time drive to the left of the center of the roadway within the no-passing zone.
(c) Restrictions imposed under this section do not apply when subdivision 1031(a)(2) of this title applies, or where a vehicle is turning left into an alley, private road or driveway. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. March 1, 1973.)

Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 AM

23,665 posts, read 70,725,839 times
"I know you're in a hurry. I know it's driving you crazy that I'm not driving even faster over the speed limit than I'm already going. I know you think sitting 10' off my bumper might get me to drive faster."

Google "skunk oil"
Google "spare rear windshield washer"

Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM

819 posts, read 1,498,785 times
I occasionally like to flip on my mounted rear trailer lights under my bumper when I have my larger truck; it usually make my point.......brightly.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont