Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,841,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
It is proposed to run from Colchester to Middlebury (through Williston, St. George, Hinesburg, Monkton and New Haven) and then jog west and across (under) the lake to Ticonderoga.

Project Overview | Addison Natural Gas Project - Vermont Gas Systems
Thanks. That clarifies it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I realize the big differences between fracking and installing gas lines underground, but if there was a leak in a gas pipeline running under the lake, it would contaminate the drinking water.
It's a gas, not oil. It'd bubble up through the lake and disperse into the atmosphere. Bad for global warming, and potentially dangerous for anyone where it was coming out, but I don't believe it would contaminate the water.

Quote:
All pipelines explode and leak at some point.
That is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM

72 posts, read 100,019 times
Quote:
That is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read.
Huh.

All pipelines DO leak at some point. They EX-plode if the pressure inside is greater, and they IM-plode if the pressure outside is greater, but there is no eternally-lasting pipeline.

Also, natural gas is not a benign substance… It partially dissolves in water and is a contaminant:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...es-water-wells

Quote:
USGS Director Marcia McNutt. "When present, methane can be dangerous and yet difficult to detect by the consumer, hence the importance of testing groundwater for the presence of this dissolved gas."
USGS Release: Dissolved Methane Found in Some New York Groundwater (9/4/2012 10:03:21 AM)

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,296,988 times
It appears that the residents and the towns of Hinesburg and Monkton have been heard - Vermont Gas is planning to re-route the pipeline away from people's homes and into an existing utility corridor.
Information & Documents | Addison Natural Gas Project - Vermont Gas Systems (see letters dated 1/24/13)

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,841,585 times
Quote:
It appears that the residents and the towns of Hinesburg and Monkton have been heard - Vermont Gas is planning to re-route the pipeline away from people's homes and into an existing utility corridor.
Information & Documents | Addison Natural Gas Project - Vermont Gas Systems (see letters dated 1/24/13)
That's good news!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
All pipelines DO leak at some point. They EX-plode if the pressure inside is greater, and they IM-plode if the pressure outside is greater, but there is no eternally-lasting pipeline.
Leak a bit somewhere, sometime? Sure. Leak a significant amount if they're properly maintained, no. Claiming that all pipelines explode is absurd, unless we think things are built and then just used until they catastrophically fail. By the same premise, all bridges and buildings collapse.

Quote:
Also, natural gas is not a benign substance… It partially dissolves in water and is a contaminant:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...es-water-wells

USGS Release: Dissolved Methane Found in Some New York Groundwater (9/4/2012 10:03:21 AM)
In a groundwater environment it is trapped and remains in the water. In a lake/open body of water it would dissipate quickly as it can evaporate into the air, I believe. This is also why when you DO have a well with a high concentration of methane or that sort of thing, you vent it to remove the problem. If the methane didn't come out of the water on it's own, said method wouldn't work.

It's also important to note that it is not cancerous, and unless you're inhaling it in concentrations so high that there isn't enough oxygen in the air to breathe and you asphyxiate, there are no known or suspected health effects. The dangers are pretty much purely from the burning/explosion aspect.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM

72 posts, read 100,019 times
"we think things are built and then just used until they catastrophically fail."

Well, that IS an acknowledged practice in industry: run to failure.

Like FedEx getting parking tickets, it's apparently often cheaper to make handwaving-gestures over spills when they happen than to do heroic on-going maintenance so that they don't happen. Just up in Prudhoe Bay alone I read that they have something like 500 oil spills per year.

Anyway, all buildings and bridges DO collapse, eventually.
Haven't you noticed?

I'm much more worried, anyway, about old pipeline they want to now re-purpose for tar sands going overseas. That will spill, and the results will be much more damaging than a methane leak, it's true.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM

18,333 posts, read 26,579,475 times
The Portland Pipeline...that goes through some pretty sensitive areas, up around Victory, etc. I would hope they're never allowed to send tar sands through it, I'd rather see that one removed. I looked at some cheap land for sale up there once and was wondering why it was so cheap...then I saw the pipeline just over the property line. Killed my interest in it.

A gas pipeline can be well built and maintained and still have problems. Imagine a hurricane Irene coming through and damaging it, or something crashes into it in an accident, or a stray rifle bullet during hunting season. That's why it really needs to be kept away from houses.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 PM

28 posts, read 63,319 times
Quote:
That's great that they're being considerate of the people nearby and planning to re-route, but I was under the impression that VT is a big eco state. Isn't this sort of thing, in general, at odds with that? Or am I just buying into a stereotype?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM

444 posts, read 790,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFootprint View Post
That's great that they're being considerate of the people nearby and planning to re-route, but I was under the impression that VT is a big eco state. Isn't this sort of thing, in general, at odds with that? Or am I just buying into a stereotype?
The eco state uses a lot of heating oil and wood for heat. Natural gas is cleaner and less expensive, but not very eco-friendly compared to geothermal, wind or solar energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont